Pain in ankle when riding

This past spring I’ve been noticing my right ankle hurts at the end of my ride, usually on the outside behind the bone. I never had issues with this ankle before, I broke my left ankle years ago (horse fell on it) and it has always been the weaker side. I thought maybe it could be because it’s overcompensating for the weak side, but I feel like this is a really new thing.

I changed stirrup leathers and stirrups this past winter, as I had heard good things about them, especially for weak lower legs and knee pain. I use the mill brook leathers (the wide ones by this brand, in case they make regular ones) and composite stirrups with the wide bed. I used to use regular leathers and regular irons, but wasn’t getting any more stable, so I thought it might be time for a switch. This could be the issue, but again I switched awhile ago and this is new.

Im also wearing my muck boots more often than regular boots (their “equestrian” ones, and fit safely in the stirrup) but this doesn’t seem to affect the pain. If anything it hurts more in regular boots.

Any ideas whats going on here? Any things I should try? Thank you in advance!

Maybe you should think about seeing a doctor?

You could try a copper ankle sleeve. I cannot ride without them. I had broken my right ankle in a fall,and didn’t get it set, (long story) but after a few months, I had destroyed all the cartilage in it so it was bone on bone and filled with arthritis. I tried the Copper88 sleeve and it works great. ( I did get checked by a doctor, and I need a full replacement, but they wont do it as I was under 25 at the time). After a year, I found my other (good) ankle getting sore. It is now arthritic as well, as it had to constantly overcompensate for my bad ankle. The compression sleeve works great for that ankle too.
I also had to switch to a flex stirrup iron to reduce the pressure.

1 Like