Painful Privates - Will Sidesaddle Help?

Thanks, 2Dogs!

Oh just read this thread and maybe my advice will help… With panties I always use cotton panties (100 %) and very very important is that the edges are not laced with nylon or something similar… I use boy shorts (100 % cotton) with a cotton seam WITHOUT laces…

Ok thats basically it… Everything else did not work for me…
The next thing is probably a little more tricky… I know nothing about Hunterseat, but on pictures it looks dangerous for pain… I do dressage and believe me, these parts are not in danger, because I sit mainly on my butt… I do not lean forward and my weight is more in a back position…

And voila, no problems, although I did have problems in the past when using wrong panties or sit bad…

Dont know if that helps, Good luck…

Hi Manni!

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ve found that briefs with lower leg openings DO help avoid the “dreaded front wedgie,” which helps with the chafing a little, but doesn’t eliminate it.

It’s GOT to be my position. Every time I land during the posting trot I feel my “junK” press into the saddle and rub against my skivvies. And if I tilt my pelvis up in order to avoid it, then it just rubs against the material the whole time. Somethin’ just ain’t right!

Seriously, I can’t imagine how bad it would be if I were one of these poor women who’s inner bits “hang out.” They must be in tears the entire time they’re riding!

I think you are correct that something isn’t right about your position, because really, you shouldn’t have much rubbing or friction “there”.

As I mentioned, I have had chaffing issues - where my leg meets body, but that was only when doing a BUNCH of riding, like 3+ hours a day in the saddle, in the very hot summer (sweat).

You should be sitting on your seat bones more. You said you have tried different saddles and still had the same issue?

Do you ride bicycles at all? If so, same issues or no?

Hi Appsolute,

Nope, no cycling for me. Just horse riding.

I’ve tried several different saddles (depending on which horse they have me on) and it’s all the same. It HAS to be the way I’m sitting. I know lesson saddles aren’t exactly the “creme de la creme,” but they shouldn’t feel THIS bad.

I’m going to have a serious talk with my instructor this weekend and spell it all out for her. I’ve mentioned the problem before, but more in a half-joking sort of way. I don’t think she really knows how bad it is because I’ve more or less been suffering in silence.

Thanks!

I do not know if this will help but:

I got terrible pain down there time when I was pregnant and rode in my deepest seat (Stubben Siegfried) saddle. I had no such problems with my 1" smaller Crosby with the flatter seat when I rode pregnant.

I also had excruciating pain when the padding of my then 41 year old Stubben wore out from under my seat bones on up to the pommel. That I fixed with a Mattes sheepskin seat saver. IF the lesson saddles you ride in are old or have been used a lot, and you can feel the tree through the seat leather get your own seat saver and put it on the saddle before tacking up.

Saddles that are too small also cause the worse pain for me if I ride in them too long because of my pubic bone rubbing on the hard pommel.

I hope you find a solution soon. Life is to short not to ride as much as possible!

Hi Jackie!

Yes, I believe it’s a “combo deal” between the way I’m sitting and the saddles I’m using.

There HAS to be an answer out there for me somewhere. I love horses and riding so much now I just can’t give it up…at least not until I’ve exhausted every possibility.

how big are you and what size saddle are they having you use? If this lesson program deals mostly with kids and the saddles are 16 to 17 in seats, then that is your problem right there. Most normal sized adults need 17,5 to 18 in seats, otherwise you get wedged up against the pommel and there is no way to get your bits out of the danger zone.

Also if your instructor is telling you to sit on the front of your seat to where you feel the bits rubbing immediately, maybe try another instructor who will teach you to roll your pelvis so that you are sitting more on the BACK of your seat not the front.

Good luck. When I came back to riding after a 11 year break to have kids, I rode in my dressage saddle (16 in seat, from pre child days, I am only 5 ft 1 and weighed 110 back then). It didn’t take very long for me to start finding blood in my panties after each ride. Told DH a new saddle was being ordered asap or he was going to be out of luck for a while. 18 in seat saddle solved the problem!!!

Hi Arabiansrock!

“Told DH a new saddle was being ordered asap or he was going to be out of luck for a while.”

OMG, someone who understands!!! Seriously, it’s THAT bad, people!!! :eek:

I’m “tall-ish” (just under 5’7") with a slim build, but sort of flared/wide through the pelvis with long limbs. One instructor told me that the average female student is usually much shorter than I am, so the saddles most schools purchase tend to fit them better than someone like me.

Yes, it’s DEFINITELY time to talk saddles with my instructor…aside or astride, something’s got to change!

Gidget,
How far apart are your “sitting bones”? I’m 5’ 8’’ with a 36’’ inseam. My seat bones are farther apart than most people (6.24’’ versus the norm of no more than 6’’).

When I ride in a saddle with a narrow twist, even if it is a large seat size, I feel like I’m losing my virginity all over again.

Some saddles have a “overly-friendly” rise from the lowest point of the seat to the pommel. I find those types of saddles to be very uncomfortable.

Have you ridden in a western saddle and had the same problem?

Your concern is an important one. If you are not comfortable then you won’t be relaxed. If you’re not relaxed, then you won’t be able to ride well or learn well. Buying a big thick gel or sheepskin seat saver may be your saving grace. Trust your intuition.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions. There is something wrong with suffering in silence.

Best regards,
Amber

Hi Amber,

I don’t know my seat bone distance, but that’s a REALLY good question. Like I said, I’m relatively slim, but I’ve always had these weird child-bearing hips. I bet you anything the distance between the bones is greater than it is on most women.

And you’re right about being more vocal. I tend to minimize my problems and try to work through them on my own, but that’s not always the smartest approach. Maybe it’s my desire to be a “good” student and not come across as a complainer? Who knows.

Thanks again. I’ll definitely take your suggestions into consideration!

I just wanna say if I knew how WONDERFUL people are on this site I would have joined a LONG time ago. You’re the BEST! :slight_smile:

The right type of underwear will help immensely. I have several different types that I’ve tried and some lead to horrendous chaffing while others don’t cause any.

I think you just need to try a few different styles to figure out what works for you.

Thanks Snicklefritz. I have “yet another” style on order as we speak. Let’s pray they help.

Ah! The bits.

My situation is similar to yours - riding once a week, using school saddles, and most of them were causing me problems in the nether region, with uncomfortable sitting/urination/life for a few days each after every lesson… Especially that one kids saddle that I didn’t realize was way too small (I’m 5’1, I just grabbed the smallest available saddle)!

After a bad fall/injury/break, tried my coach’s old crosby (a very flat saddle) during a lesson, and miraculously, my back was happy AND My bits were too! I decided to get my own saddle, the same model on ebay, and have been a happy camper (initially some rubbing but getting better as my position is improving).

I’m sure a saddle that is fitted to you specifically, which will help you gain proper balance and NOT put so much pressure on your pelvic area, with a gel/sheepskin seat saver will make everything much, much more pleasant.

The dreaded three point seat you are mentioning is your friend, only the weight has to be spread evenly between the twos eat bones and the pelvic bone, and life will be good again!

Hi Winsome!

That’s SUCH a relief to hear. I’ve been in a terrible funk all week thinking I might not be “built” for riding. Thanks for sharing your experience. It gives me hope! :slight_smile:

Nurse chiming in here: Just thought I’d add: it’s important to examine this problem medically too…talk frankly to your gynecologist for suggestions/examination etc
. Experiment w/materials like nylon/cotton/silk/whatever. Try layering to reduce friction like 2 pairs of undies. One very important thing is to try washing your undies in a different laundry soap. Many are quite irritating down there (ex: Tide) so go for the fragrance free/non allergenic soaps. Ditto on the soaps you use on yourself. Heat+friction+chemicals can cause irritation. Use no creams/powders/sprays/fragrancesdown there before riding. Try douching as many genital irritations can be caused by vaginal infections. Do not shave down there=it’s irritating. Sweat/cleanliness & the more natural the better! :winkgrin: Hair is a natural anti friction mechanism!! Really!

Try riding in 2 point as much as possible or the half seat. Agree a larger saddle seat is in order. For your height; I’d guess an 18. Long legs need a larger seat. Second the suggestion for a seatsaver and I’d recommend pure wool.
This could be a medication/drug reaction also.
Good luck w/this! Skip the SS idea. Overkill for a solvable problem imho!

Gidget,
If you go to Dr. Deb Bennett’s website, she has a very helpful article that is available for free entitled “Who’s Built Best to Ride.” The article talks about, among other things, saddle fit for the male versus female pelvis.

Her forum is very good, but be warned that Dr. Deb’s social skills aren’t the best, so she will tell you like it is without any tact. I’m a lurker on her forum. She sees her forum as an online university classroom with her as the professor, so as such, she gets do decide what is or is not valid.

Her advice about sitting and posting the trot has completely changed my riding for the better. This is the link to the article. http://www.equinestudies.org/knowledge_base_intro/knowledge_base_intro_choicepage.html

Hi Wateryglen!

Thanks for your post.

I’ve gone to my gyno already, but she doesn’t ride (or seem to know anyone who does) so she hasn’t been much help. On a positive note, she confirmed there’s NO infection of any kind going on which was a huge relief. (For months I thought it was just a stubborn yeast infection.)

I’ll try switching detergent (gyno suggested that too), but I’m not expecting miracles. Of course, you never know until you try something.

As for letting my hair grow back, that ship has sailed. A few years before I took up riding I had permanent laser hair removal…and I mean ALL of it… I didn’t know any better back then, but if I could turn back the clock I probably wouldn’t have done it. :frowning:

Like the idea of two sets of undies. Makes sense.

And yes, a bigger saddle for sure and maybe a seat cover of some kind.

You know, as crazy as it sounds, I actually WANT to take up sidesaddle. I just assumed I needed to get better at astride before making the transition. I’m really hoping my barn owner is willing to consider it and doesn’t write me off as some kook because I think it would really suit my strengths & weaknesses.

Thanks Amber! I’ll definitely check out her site. It’s all about learning!