Painful Privates - Will Sidesaddle Help?

With a good side saddle, no, you will not have any chafing/rubbing down there. You are sitting like you would sit on a chair, so your bottom is flat on the seat, and the only contact with the pommels is on the back of your right thigh right above the bend of your knee, and the top middle of your left thigh. If you can sit on a chair comfortably without an issue there, you can sit on a side saddle comfortably.

However, that aside (no pun intended), I believe you will be able to ride astride - or aside - comfortably with the correct undergarments and correctly sized saddle.

Fitting a side saddle to horse and rider is ESSENTIAL. And no, unfortunately, the good saddles are not inexpensive.

Here’s my 2 cents so I can avoid paperwork that I should be doing :slight_smile:

First, it sounds very much like you need a new instructor. I rode H/J for years and was always taught to sit more on my seat bones to find my center. I know times have changed and I do ride with a more military style than what is taught now, but I feel like you are tipped forward as you should not be feeling so much in that particular area. I’m willing to bet that a decent dressage instructor will solve this problem quickly.
With that being said, I also agree that this is an anatomy problem, both yours and the saddle. Go to a saddle fitter and explain your issue. They will have more styles of saddles and they can help you figure out what is best for your anatomy. Some tack shop owners are good with saddle fitting but I would go see a decent saddle fitter. I’m sure there are several CoThers who can suggest someone around you.
The twist and pommel are going to be very important factors in what saddle works for you as well as seat type, such as a deeper seat vs a flatter seat. We can all suggest something but really, it is up to your body to decide what works best for you so a good saddle fitter will have multiple saddles of different styles to try out. Perhaps you can lease a lesson horse for a few hours so you can ride the different types to feel the actual difference. That’s the only way that you are going to know what really works for you. You may have to take a couple weeks off before so you can heal though. This way you can feel what is irritating you and not just feel the current irritation.
For kicks and giggles, Schleese has several very informative videos on male and female saddle fitting issues. They would be good for you to watch.
While the saddle anatomy is important it is however difficult for you to buy your own saddle if you don’t own a horse. The reason being is because your saddle needs to fit both you and your horse. But a session or 2 with a good saddle fitter will help you to decide which school saddle to choose until the day comes that you can buy a horse of your own.
The same goes with a sidesaddle.
Your saddle is like your shoes: you need them to fit both feet (you and your horse) properly otherwise one will hurt and make the other one miserable.

I would also suggest padding yourself. Pantyliners may be too thin and you may need to go to a more thicker pad with different underwear. I know one rider who wears depends for when she rides and hers are like padded underwear so those may be an option. And Keigel exercises to help strengthen the muscles around the pelvic wall wouldn’t hurt. When you squeeze you close off the front of you some too so those may help some.

On a different angle, you may also try taking a Lysine supplement. Lysine is an amino acid that helps to promote tissue growth and strength. It would take awhile but I would bet that taking Lysine would help with the sensitivity of your skin as damaged skin is generally more sensitive so you are probably constantly re-injuring that site.

Good luck and welcome to CoTh :slight_smile:

Hi SidesaddleRider!

Oh my gosh, you TOTALLY answered my questions about where an “SS” comes in contact with your body and where your weight is distributed. I thought as much from everything I’ve read & watched, but you just confirmed it. Now I don’t feel like such a wacko for suggesting it to my barn owner! :lol:

And yes, I can see how fit is everything. It’s hard when you don’t own your own animal, but if the school can provide me with a horse who’s a good candidate for sidesaddle on a long-term basis, it would be worth the expense of purchasing & maintaining the equipment.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!! :slight_smile:

Hi Chachie (cute name!),

Thanks for writing. I agree with you on SO many levels.

First of all, a “hiatus” is definitely in order. Things won’t heal if I keep aggravating them…period, end of story.

And I LOVE your analogy about the “two shoes.” Buying a saddle (which I’m more than willing to do) doesn’t make much sense unless I’ll be riding the same horse for quite a while. I’m sure there’s something that can be worked out.

As for my instructor, I’m inclined to say the problem’s not her. She’s an ex-professional, Grand Prix dressage competitor and I can tell by the way she analyzes movement and breaks it down she knows her stuff. All the other students RAVE about her and not one of them seems to be having the same issues I’m having. Sadly, it’s gotta be my anatomy. :frowning:

I’m definitely going to try to dig up a saddle fitter in my area. I think getting assessed by a professional will make all the difference in the world.

Oh, and I LOVE the tip about Depends padded undergarments. Just goes to show you, I’m willing to try ANYTHING! :lol:

Thanks again!

I should probably add I’ve had the opportunity to study under SIX different instructors and noticed absoutely NO difference where my “problem” is concerned. It’s been an issue from day one.

Just thought I oughta throw that out there.

Hi Gidget, I was just looking at Heather Moffat’s website today and I saw that she has some latex and memory foam saddle toppers for sale, perhaps something like that might possibly help with the direct contact issue somewhat? http://www.enlightenedequitationshop.com/seatbone-saver-hipsaver-and-latex-toppers-8-c.asp

Hey Gidget,

I am in your area, and unfortunately we do not have many tack shops around here any more - but you might try driving up to Carousel Saddlery in Portola Valley. They have a pretty good stock of new and used saddles, and a good saddle stand to put them on and try them out.

Might be worth going up there and sitting on every dang saddle they have, to see if one style seems to work better for you than another.

Good luck!

Hi SpaceWaitress!

That was so nice of you to post the products link. Thank you. :slight_smile:

I have a lesson tomorrow afternoon (needless to say, we’ll be doing groundwork ONLY), so I’ll bring up the seatcover idea with my instructor. I plan to have a long talk with her about what I’ve been experiencing and see what options she thinks would be best to try first.

I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!

Hi Appsolute,

Wow we ARE relatively close. Practically neighbors! :slight_smile:

I know excatly where Carousel is. I’ve gone there many times for gloves, boots, socks, etc., but never paid much attention to their saddle stock. In fact, I kinda forgot they even carry them. (DUH!)

My school is just one freeway exit before the shop. I think I’ll pop in this weekend and see what they have to offer.

Thanks!

On a “side” note (Ha Ha), I just spoke with a very nice lady in Southern California who teaches, of all things, SIDESADDLE!

At first she was baffled as to why anyone in their right mind would want to ride SS outside the competition ring, but when I explained my “difficulties” she became VERY sympathetic.

I told all I’m doing at this point is researching it as a possibility, but it’s something I’ve had a nagging curiosity about for close to a year now. I asked her if I were to drive down for a few days if she’d be willing to give me a couple of lessons. That way at least I can KNOW for sure if it’s something I want to pursue.

At first, she was concerned about putting a beginner in one of her saddles, but when I told her I’m a former dancer and my strongest points are my posture, my balance & my reflexes, she seemed a little more comfortable with it. (Weighting my stirrups and dropping my heels are my weak points, but you don’t actually WANT to do those things in an SS. Whoo hoo!!!)

Anyway, we agreed to chat more about it next week. I don’t know why I’m so excited about this, but I am! :slight_smile:

If you are interested in riding aside, and if you have a Facebook account, please come over and visit at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2395236697/

It’s an awesome group.

Hi SmartAlex (LOVE the name),

I don’t have a Facebook account, but it might be worth creating one just to join your group.

Thanks!

For what it’s worth, I had a bad chafeing problem when my saddle was tipping slightly forward. Problem solved when I invested in a shimmed pad with inserts in the front to make my saddle fit my TB properly behond the withers. This may not be your situation, and even though it worked, it seemed counter-intuitive with the problem coming from the saddle tilting forward rather than back. Good luck!

Gidget,
There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be a sidesaddle-only rider. Please don’t feel that you have anything to be embarrassed or apologetic about for wanting to be a sidesaddle-only rider.

This is just an idea, I don’t know how it will work for you:
When I was in the Army, we used to wear pantyhose under our boot socks on ruck marches (i.e., very long hikes wearing full gear and rucksack) to reduce the chances of getting blisters. Even the male soldiers did this (they usually wore knee-high pantyhose). I don’t know if that will work for you. Perhaps you could wear your dancer’s tights (I don’t know the correct term) under your riding clothes?
Best of luck in your search!
Amber

[QUOTE=Gidget;7443694]
On a “side” note (Ha Ha), I just spoke with a very nice lady in Southern California who teaches, of all things, SIDESADDLE!

At first she was baffled as to why anyone in their right mind would want to ride SS outside the competition ring, but when I explained my “difficulties” she became VERY sympathetic.

I told all I’m doing at this point is researching it as a possibility, but it’s something I’ve had a nagging curiosity about for close to a year now. I asked her if I were to drive down for a few days if she’d be willing to give me a couple of lessons. That way at least I can KNOW for sure if it’s something I want to pursue.

At first, she was concerned about putting a beginner in one of her saddles, but when I told her I’m a former dancer and my strongest points are my posture, my balance & my reflexes, she seemed a little more comfortable with it. (Weighting my stirrups and dropping my heels are my weak points, but you don’t actually WANT to do those things in an SS. Whoo hoo!!!)

Anyway, we agreed to chat more about it next week. I don’t know why I’m so excited about this, but I am! :)[/QUOTE]

Sounds great but I can understand her concerns… learning how to ride is tricky enough, but learning to ride sidesaddle sounds even more tricky to me… Ok I’ve ridden all my live and never in a sidesaddle so I cannot imagine how that would be, but not beeing able to have my legs on both sides of my horse would concern me…

Hi Mojo!

Thanks for letting me know what worked for you. You never know what the “majic bullet” will be in your own particular case, so ALL suggestions are valuable right now.

Hey Amber!

There may be something to the pantyhose idea. I’ve had that suggested by a couple of people already.

I think the first order of the day is finding SOME type of saddle that doesn’t force me to sit directly on the tree. Honest to God, the more I’ve been thinking about it, I believe that’s what’s been happening. No matter how I tilt my pelvis, something’s still “there.” No wonder I’m in so much pain! :eek:

Hey Manni!

Oh I totally get her concerns too. Especially since I’m not that accomplished yet to begin with.
(I only just started cantering off the lunge line.). Oddly enough, it’s supposed to be a much more secure seat because of the way you can grip the two pommels with you legs in an emergency. The only down side is, it’s much harder to bail if you need to.

I’m fully prepared for the possibility that I might decide I hate it. Like I said earlier though, you have TRY something before ruling it out. I’ve never been a big risk-taker, but riding has definitely made me more willing to step outside my comfort zone, which has been SO great. :slight_smile:

If you truly cannot get your crotch off the saddle enough, even sitting still, you’re likely going to need a saddle with a very flat pommel, which will very much limit which horses you can ride. That type of saddle will press on the withers of a horse who has them.

Classic saddlery used to have some good into on pelvis anatomy and how it relates to saddle fit for the rider. I have the opposite issue. I need a high pommel to help me stay upright.

Hey Hampton!

Wow, that’s interesting. Who’d have thought saddle fit was such a complicated issue? It’s amazing people can ride at all when you think about it.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll definitely keep that in mind. :slight_smile: