Unlimited access >

PAO (periacetabular osteotomy) any experiences?

It’s looking more and more likely that this is the next step for my garbage fire of a hip. Any horse people with experience or stories to share?

Here’s a page on it for those not familiar and curious:

https://www.hss.edu/conditions_Periacetabular-Osteotomy-PAO.asp

Hey @Simkie I have no PAO knowledge but I just saw your post in Off Topic that you had surgery yesterday. Did you have the PAO? How are you doing? Hope everything is going well —

Hey! No, Friday was something different. If we move forward with PAO, it’ll be sometime in the summer. Hope your hip is doing well! :grin:

Ah, wishing you a smooth recovery and hoping that down the road they are able to permanently resolve your hip issues. PAO sounds scary but it also sounds like a good option if that will solve your problems!

Hi @Simkie,
I’m sorry to hear about your situation.
I realize it has been a few months since your original posting and I’m wondering whether you ended up going ahead. I am 8 months post-operative PAO patient following a hip dysplasia diagnosis.
I found there wasn’t a whole lot of information on the Internet that I could find that helped “fill in the blanks” and extend what the Doctors told me to prepare for my surgery. So I thought I would write a short practical guide to help other patients going through the same thing.
I just published it last week on Amazon as a Kindle e-book - it is called “Hip Dysplasia and P.A.O. Surgery: My Experience and the Practical “Recovery Hacks” that Worked For Me”. What I am really looking for is some feedback to understand how useful it is to others in preparing for PAO and in the recovery process / how the book could be improved.
If you, or others reading this have scheduled surgery within the next few weeks, or had surgery within the last few weeks, I would love to gift you a copy in exchange for some feedback in the form of a short survey I’ve prepared.

You would just need to be based in the US (it’s a limitation with Kindle sadly) and have access to a Kindle device or the app on your smartphone (Apple or Android) to read it. It’s short - maybe 30-40 pages, so doesn’t take much time to read.

Please reach out to me if you are interested and willing! I can be reached at hello@paopatient.com

Thank you in advance for the support and encouragement, and I wish you well in your recovery!

• Alex

Quick update: the e-book is now live on Amazon, Google Books and Barnes and Noble.
Apple Books is coming soon! It is called “Hip Dysplasia & PAO Surgery: My Experience as a Patient and the Practical Recovery Comfort Hacks that Worked for Me” by Alexandra Hurworth

If you end up reading this book and find it in any way helpful in preparing for surgery, I would be very grateful for a review as it can increase the chances of it being discovered when searching. And if you have feedback or other ideas, I’m always welcoming of suggestions - please email me.

Thank you for your support and encouragement! If I can be of any help to you, please do not hesitate to reach out.