Unlimited access >

Para Olympians

I am watching the coverage on Universal and am happy that they have shown some of the para dressage.
It is too bad that the stands are nearly empty. To me, these riders, who are blind, have cerebral palsy, limb amputations and things that I can’t even pronounce, it is just awe inspiring to watch!
They are true heros and they truly motivate me to not complain ever! My mom had polio and it saddens me that she was never able to ride again. She would have loved watching the coverage.

These riders are amazing. I am an able bodied person and any one of them could ride circles around me. Each is an inspiration and excell in his/her sport inspite of physical challenges. Enjoyed watching them in person in KY at WEG.

I also want to watch it and I hope it upload soon! They are so inspirational! I love how they find ways to keep doing/do the thing they love.

A few of them ride in National Championship Level able bodied competition too.

I don’t really get it.
Lee Pearson competes in the FEI 1b para class at WEG, which is a walk trot class with some voltes and turn on haunches. http://www.fei.org/fei/your-role/organisers/p-e-dressage/tests

In able bodied National competition he is currently competing in FEI PSG classes;

FEI PSGQ

[TABLE=“width: 524”]
[TR]
[TD]Marks available[/TD]
[TD]380[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE=“width: 524”]
[TR]
[TH=“bgcolor: #1E2272”]Place[/TH]
[TH=“bgcolor: #1E2272”]Rider[/TH]
[TH=“bgcolor: #1E2272”]Horse[/TH]
[TH=“bgcolor: #1E2272”]Points[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Mrs Joyce Irene Fearn[/TD]
[TD]Weltklasse[/TD]
[TD]65.65% (3pts)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Mr Lee Pearson[/TD]
[TD]Gentleman[/TD]
[TD]61.11% (1pts)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

How does that make sense ?

Because your classification – the division you ride in – is based on your degree of disability, not your skill or success as a rider. These two things can be very different.

I don’t think it’s entirely fair for someone competing in able bodied PSG level to do walk-trot at WEG or the Olympics, even if it is for the Para division.

What channel can I watch it on? I have XFinity. I also slightly agree about Lee… Does anyone know how Susan Treabess is/has done? She’s from my state.

Why not?

This is competitive riding on the international level, not some feel-good indulgence for the poor disabled people. Everyone competing in para has been classified to ensure they are riding against others with similar degrees of disability. They’ve qualified for WEG by being the very best their nations have to offer. Why should someone bow out because they are “too good”? Would anyone propose that Valegro and du Jardin retire because they are too good for GP?

[QUOTE=NeverTime;7738377]
Why not?

This is competitive riding on the international level, not some feel-good indulgence for the poor disabled people. Everyone competing in para has been classified to ensure they are riding against others with similar degrees of disability. They’ve qualified for WEG by being the very best their nations have to offer. Why should someone bow out because they are “too good”? Would anyone propose that Valegro and du Jardin retire because they are too good for GP?[/QUOTE]

Very true! I should know this myself because I’m a para and aim to someday compete at this level.

[QUOTE=NeverTime;7738319]
Because your classification – the division you ride in – is based on your degree of disability, not your skill or success as a rider. These two things can be very different.[/QUOTE]

That’s my point - why would you make a very accomplished rider dumb down to walk trot because his disability fits in to a certain category. They should compete in para classes based on their accomplishments - just like anybody else. It’s not fair to the accomplished rider or the people he competes against. Lee Pearson is one of the more severely disabled riders, who has the ability to compete in able bodied PSG classes, and he has to come to the World Championships and do walk trot classes. It’s insane, and in my opinion a “feel-good indulgence” for able bodied people. I don’t know the figures, but I would imagine that the majority of the riders taking part in the para champs are very much more accomplished than they are allowed to be at these games. It must be soul destroying to know that you will only be able to compete at para competitions doing walk trot - ALL YOUR LIFE.

My trainer posted this video of Norway’s Birgitte Reitan with the comment, “So, next time someone complains about having to use a lot of leg…”

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152630499475359

It’s pretty amazing what these riders can do. I have a whole new level of respect for them, especially the ones with more severe disabilities. And the horses! Wow…I can’t imagine what it must take to make sure the riders are matched up to a suitable mount and to find horses with the right kind of temperament for the riders.

Bravo to all of them who have worked so hard to get to WEG.

oh that is a nice video. Worth watching for all novice riders who dont understand the geometry of bending lines and use of corners

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7738962]
That’s my point - why would you make a very accomplished rider dumb down to walk trot because his disability fits in to a certain category. They should compete in para classes based on their accomplishments - just like anybody else. It’s not fair to the accomplished rider or the people he competes against. Lee Pearson is one of the more severely disabled riders, who has the ability to compete in able bodied PSG classes, and he has to come to the World Championships and do walk trot classes. It’s insane, and in my opinion a “feel-good indulgence” for able bodied people. I don’t know the figures, but I would imagine that the majority of the riders taking part in the para champs are very much more accomplished than they are allowed to be at these games. It must be soul destroying to know that you will only be able to compete at para competitions doing walk trot - ALL YOUR LIFE.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully, you are wrong about two important points. First, Lee Pearson, or any paraequestrian, IS allowed to compete above his classification level. Second, the classification rules are very specific that the classification procedure should ONLY address physical function, NOT riding skill/success – the latter is the purpose of the competition itself.

Per the FEI paraequestrian classification rules (boldface is written into the rules, not added by me, but it gets to the heart of this):

Classification is a statement of fact, not a test, and the judgement of therider’s ability on the horse is the function of the Competition not theclassification. The purpose of the Competition is to reward skill; classificationmust therefore not penalise those who have achieved a high skill level.
The grouping of Profiles into Grades is designed so that Athletes may compete againsttheir peers, or, if their nation so wishes compete at a higher level (against those withless impairment). Competing at a lower level (against those with greater impairment)is not allowed.”

I have never met Lee Pearson, but I imagine he competes at his classified level because he is competitive and para offers the only opportunity to compete against similarly skilled people of like abilities. [Otherwise, he could go to a show any weekend and see how he fares against (more) able-bodied riders at whatever level he choses.] At his own grade, although he had a lock on WEG/Paralympic medals for years, under two different horses, he’s beatable. He didn’t get the individual gold in London, and he didn’t even make the British team for last year’s European championships. Because there are other really skilled, really well-mounted, severely disabled riders who can give him a run for his money.

(Should note here that our current – and six-time – reigning US Paradressage champion, Becca Hart, also has competed at least once at the PSG level, but with a previous horse in a previous year, and she finished seventh in Grade II at this WEG.)

Also, while I understand that riding a walk-trot test is “dumbing down” from PSG in terms of complexity of movements, perhaps consider it differently to appreciate the challenge: With a much smaller range of movements to be judged upon, consider how exquisitely perfect each step of walk pirouette, trot lengthening, halt transition, half-circle, etc. must be to distinguish you from competitors. (THAT pursuit of perfection, to me, would be soul-destroying … but that’s why I’ll never compete in the hunters or straight dressage :winkgrin: ) These are NOT the walk-trot tests novice riders do at their first competitions; imagine instead how competitive walk-trot tests would be (and what they’d look like!) if the WEG’s able-bodied dressage riders had to ride the FEI Grade Ib test to qualify for the team test.

So - where are the classes for para PSG etc ?

(I would imagine that Lee Pearson competes at 1B because he is the best option for team GB who are rich in riders for all classifications)
My point is that - if the classifications were not used, riders would be free to compete to higher levels and those who had not attained those levels would also have a place. In the team scenario you use the best rider you have for the given level to get a team result, and I don’t think having declared for one level in the team test, that you could opt for a higher level for individual competition. If paras competed with skill levels, just like able bodied riders do, it would encourage the developemnt of their skills and provide a framework for competition. Those with grade 1 disabilities would be selected on the basis of their riding skill, not their ability to win within a certain disability classification.