Unlimited access >

Paradressage

Paradressage riders are in Aachen quarantine and are great to follow for both riding and Paralympics info, Team USA has been good with getting their riders to do the social media thing. Team GB seem to be quarantining on their own? Will they go straight to Tokyo?

As a disabled non-elite rider it’s fascinating watching the process and I am in awe both of the riders themselves and of the team behind them that enables the horse/rider team to work as it does.

4 Likes

I had the privilege of watching para-dressage in the London 2012 Olympics. The stands were stuffed full. Everyone had enjoyed the Olympics so much they had rushed out to get any remaining tickets for the Para-Olympics. Thousands and thousands of people were sitting in the fresh air, regardless of weather, totally absorbed in the horsemanship and the performance. After each round we were asked not to clap but rather to wave to show our appreciation. Thousands and thousands of people waving enthusiatically was particularly magical. When it came time to present the medals I was taken aback at the athletes coming out in mobility scooters, on crutches, in wheelchairs because I had been so absorbed in watching the dressage I had forgotten rider disability. It was a total eye opener, how much could be achieved through partnership.

12 Likes

Sophie Christiansen has been replaced;

1 Like

The German team https://www.eurodressage.com/2021/07/20/german-team-2021-tokyo-paraympics-selected

Last year I competed in the same class as Saskia Deutz at our regionals… she is a very nice rider and of course she won….

1 Like

Inspection Wednesday and horses down the centerline Thursday!

1 Like

All the stuff;

TESTS;

1 Like

Is there anywhere online to watch, internationally? The TV networks in my country appear to be offering limited Paralympic coverage.

Live coverage on channel 4 in the UK - if you have a VPN.

https://www.channel4.com/

USA wins its first medal since 2004, and it’s gold. Dolton is just :heart_eyes: and Roxanne Trunnell rides him so well. Highly recommend re-watching it.

Will be interesting to see who the US puts on the team.

3 Likes

U.S.A takes the bronze in the team competition! :medal_sports:

5 Likes

Apparently responding to myself at this point, but NBC posted her world record freestyle. Thar WALK!

3 Likes

Beautiful ride. Beautiful horse.

2 Likes

I never thought I would be mesmerized by a walk-only test, but here we are. Just beautiful.

1 Like

There is definitely a trend towards higher quality horses with bigger movement and ‘dressage gaits’ evident in paradressage and I do wonder about the impact this has/will have on rider safety. And will it raise serious barriers for participation at the top level? Only a few years ago the participants all rode borrowed horses!

Overall, what a show of skill, dedication, passion, pleasure and sheer joy in the partnership between horse and rider. Inspiring.

3 Likes

A bunch of Para riders in the UK show able bodied as well.(able bodied tests) It’s probably a better option than waiting for all the stars and resources to align for a Para show.

4 Likes

Georgia wilson is rated Gold at Elementary.
Natasha Baker is rated Gold at Medium.
Sophie Wells is rated Gold and at GP.
Lee Pearson is rated Silver at I-1.

3 Likes

Sir Lee Pearson is a remarkable person.

He is - he just posted a video a few months ago, taken on his security camera of him very casually doing one tempis in his front yard on his other horse, not even the one who went to Tokyo.

Thanks for the info @Equibrit. The top US riders are often doing the same, or at least training it.

It seems that they are limited by doing para tests :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t imagine that it’s very rewarding winning lots of gold medals at a level way below your capabilities. I’m not sure that limiting a rider based on their disabilities is what the Paralympics is about; competitors are able to shine brighter with a horse.