Parathyroid Surgery

Anyone have parathryroid surgery? How long before you could ride again? Any experiences to share?

Thanks

I had a complete thyroid removal in 2002 and I was riding within 4 weeks. My incision was large and that was really the only thing holding me up. I think I could have been back riding simple stuff in two weeks if it hadn’t been for the incision size.
Sheilah

I had parathyroid surgery a couple of years ago and only took a couple of days off from work and riding. I did have to stay in the hospital overnight in order to have calcium levels checked, since it can play havoc with your heart if they are too far out of whack. The hospital has a “short stay” unit with private rooms. Not long after I got there they showed up with a lunch tray including a turkey sandwich. I stayed at a barn friend’s house the 2nd night, but really could have gone home and resumed my regular life.

The incision was glued shut so there were no sutures to worry about. I had very little pain, and just used an ice pack for a few days. No heay duty pain meds just ibuprofen and tylenol. I don’t know how typical this is, but all in all, compared to other surgeries I’ve had, which are primarily orthopedic, it was pretty easy.

My experience was similar to walktrot.

I had surgery the morning of Dec 30.

Mine was also glued shut. I used the ice pack for a couple of hours. The sent me home with percoset, but I didn’t need it. I didn’t even need an NSAID.

Went home after the surgery. We stopped for lunch (I had Soup and Salad) on the way home.

I stayed home for 2 days, mostly in bed Dec 31, “pottering” on Jan 1, and back to work on Jan 2.

I did not actually ride until Jan 12, but that was because of the weather.

I think it depends how severe your surgery is. Are they only taking one or two? I lost all 4 of mine and it completely altered my life. When you have none calcium can be very hard to regulate. Anything that raises your metabolism drops your calcium. I was not allowed to ride for 3 years. If you’re only have a partial then you’ll be just fine.

Thanks for the information.