Parathyroid surgery

I am heading off to consult with the surgeon after Christmas and was hoping to hear some experiences from the COTH braintrust on this surgery. Any questions that I should be asking? Seem to always go blank and think of concerns later… also would like to know if your calcium levels changed dramatically. TIA

I had parathyroid surgery a number of years ago.

There was a certain amount of back and forth about WHICH parathyroid was enlarged and needed to be removed, but they did get it sorted out, and removed the right one. No problems since.

There are a number of parathyroid blogs.

I had mine taken out a few years ago. It made a significant difference in my health. No issues with the surgery what so ever.

I had mine done in Tampa 7-8 years ago. It was an easy surgery. I used Mederma on the scar, which pretty much disappeared. My calcium levels were in the 10s before surgery, but I don’t know what they are now. I ended up with photo proof of the most definitely enlarged tumor, though. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your feedback. It is good to hear positive results and experiences.

1 Like

I had one removed several years ago but the only indication was the blood calcium level. I don’t remember anything much about the surgery, which was done as an outpatient procedure. I did use an ice bag on the incision for a day or two. The hospital has a “short stay” unit which the surgeon admitted me to so they could monitor my calcium level overnight and into the next day. Also, during the pre-surgery ultrasound they found a nodule on my thyroid which was benign. I haven’t had any issues with calcium levels since.

Can I ask what the symptoms were leading up to this were? Did any of you have problems with crystals or kidney stones?

Trotter, the increased blood calcium level showed up in a regular blood test at my annual physical. My primary care doctor referred me to an endocrinologist who didn’t find any other problems. She ordered a bone scan and had “slight thinning” but “osteopenia” was not formally diagnosed.

CT, in my situation my yearly blood tests revealed high calcium and my bone scan (every 2 yrs ) showed significant loss of bone. I have had my kidney stones blasted twice in the last ten years.
I had repeated blood and urine tests which showed too much calcium and two types of scans which revealed nothing. My other symptom is fatigue.
So off I go to consult with the surgeon:)

My husband has had three different parathyroid surgeries. The first was about 35 years ago. His was diagnosed by a misdiagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. He had such joint pain, but very high calcium levels along with it. Was put on a calcium free diet for a week. Made no difference in his calcium levels, so off to the surgeon he went.

Doctor removed a portion, and all was good for a while, but then he started getting kidney, and gall stones. Removed gallbladder, but still getting kidney stones. Calcium levels were out of whack, again. Another surgery to remove some more of his parathyroid.

After removal of gallbladder, he was still getting stones that would get stuck, just in a different spot, causing considerable pain, in one instance requiring hospitalization. And then would get attacks of pancreatitis.

One of his sisters was having same problems, and was diagnosed with MEN-1. Turns out hubby has it as well. It affects the pituitary, parathyroid, and pancreas. Had another surgery on parathyroid, as calcium levels were much too high. Now he has to take calcium/Vit D supplement to maintain proper levels.

Because MEN 1 also causes cancerous tumours, please ask your endocrinologist if there is any underlying reason for your parathyroid problems. I would not want anyone to have to go through what he has. Thankfully, we are in Canada so all costs are covered, as some of the blood tests are in excess of $1200, and he has CT scans with contrast twice a year.

So it would show up in a regular blood test? I’m seeing my GP tomorrow and will ask him if it was included in my regular bloodwork.

I have chronic kidney stones/urinary crystals, have loose calcium floating in different parts of my body(supposedly breaking off of scar tissue from car accident trauma) and had gall stones from the age of 10-12.

Not sure if it’s linked to the thyroid or not but it won’t hurt to check.

I’ve never read my blood requisition before, I’m assuming checking for calcium is checked for regularly? I’ll ask my GP tomorrow.

This thread made me wonder if too much calcium could be the cause of my chronic(going on 7 years)kidney stones. Yesterday I found out my calcium levels are good and have also been good in all past bloodwork as well.

I also wondered if your RA diagnosis is a misdiagnosis?? Someone upthread mentioned joint pain as a symptom.

Rebecca

Just to clarify, it is PARAthyroid, not Thyroid.

There’s so much going on right now and many things I have do have similar symptoms.

I asked my RA doc and two GPs(including my own) if I was possibly misdiagnosed because I was really leery about going on these two DMARDS. I was told by all of them that the severe swelling in the affected joints plus the severe synovitis in my hands, feet and knees that it’s definitely RA.

My calcium in my bloodwork has always been normal, my GP went back quite a few years and checked. They aren’t sure why I have chronic kidney stones but they are guessing possibly something hereditary, my urine was tested and they did confirm that what I eat is not the reason. My dad had kidney problems, I was only 5 when he passed so I have no memory of what was wrong with him and my mum didn’t really know why either. He was booked for routine kidney surgery, which type I’m not sure and when they opened him up not knowing he had cancer in another area, once the air hit it he was gone in 6 months. Wish I knew more about what was wrong with his kidneys but back then men didn’t talk about their ailments. Mum used to say that dad’s legs hurt a lot but didn’t offer any other information.

Yep!

Auto correct took over!