Unlimited access >

Parelli have split

Ok, it is now official that 2020 is completely off the charts with cray. Who had Pat and Linda divorcing for September?

Linda posted it publicly on FB so it isn’t exactly a secret. With having had one of her horses put down the day prior, I am feeling … actually pretty bad for her. No matter what I think of her horsemanship.

All the best, Linda.

There’s a carrot stick joke here somewhere, but I can’t find it.

Divorces among the wealthy are too common for me to bat an eyelash. I can relate to the loss of a beloved horse, though. That part is sad. Best wishes to anyone who loses a good horse.

14 Likes

Interesting! The post has now been deleted…

110% agree. I know the horse had a long history of thyroid issues.

The post is back up, and “Linda” has stated that she was waiting for Parelli Corp to make the announcement, which they haven’t… so she posted on her own page.

stuck in the house with that man all year? I’d poke my eyes out with a carrot stick.

77 Likes

I think it’d be more fun to poke Pat’s eyes out with that damn carrot stick.

39 Likes

I have one of his lead ropes with the gigantic clip that bops them under the chin when you shake it so they will back up. It always worked because the horse gets so aggravated he wants to leave. It was free. I found it after one of them moved out of the barn. It’s in a heap somewhere.

I got snagged by a barn buddy who had to see a Linda clinic at Equine Affaire. They were going teach a horse to canter. I thought they knew how to do that. The owner was “level one certified” but couldn’t do the exercise they worked on in the morning. Linda was very consistent and the horse quickly figured out what to do. He was on a longe line. Ran 1 1/2 circles around the trainer, then turned toward the inside when she yanked on the line and dragged him around to face her. He stopped somewhere between the circle and the trainer. He pretty much had it nailed when I walked out leaving my friend behind.

I’ve been wondering why we haven’t seen anything of them lately, and why we don’t have those huge contentious threads. Some of them were fun…

Too bad about the horse.

4 Likes

I know I’m going to get backlash for saying this but I’ve found a certain personality to be very common among the die-hard Natural Horsemanship people. I find that personality very hard to get along with. I find them unempathetic and narcissistic with their horses and with people.

And before you just assume I’m ignorant on what NH actually is because you assume I haven’t bothered to study it, I was brought up on NH and followed it extensively in my youth. I trained under a NH trainer, cliniced with all those nut jobs, watched all their programs on rfdtv. I left the cult… I don’t believe in it anymore and I find the training abusive. I think the only people who follow that Parelli/ Clinton Anderson type NH are untalented riders with ego problems.

60 Likes

Equkelly, I have found that too. My way OR THE HIGHWAY!

14 Likes

YES and everyone else is an idiot who can’t ride!

4 Likes

I saw an early version of it in the 1990s. Some of my fellow boarders were raving about this trainer when they all came back from a clinic. I was unfortunate to ride in the arena with them all the next day. They happily ran their horses in circles smacking them on the sides of the neck to try to turn them. The smacks were loud and obnoxious. The horses all had tight mouths and high heads. My horse was watching them like they were nuts. I kept thinking, “Why not use your legs, if you don’t want to use the reins?” I decided no thank you back then, and nothing I have seen of it since has changed my mind. Over the years, I really did try to watch and listen to others as they explained it, but I could think of an easier way to do the same thing that didn’t seem as stressful or weird for the horse, so I never bothered to try.

What does make sense is that the people that go for these “I’m-the-only-one-that-knows-how-to-train-a-horse” type charlatans are the kind that lack the humility to listen to the people around them. They can watch a video and they become the expert. It definitely feeds their egos. The best horse people I know (and parents, too), absorb as much as they can from the experienced people around them, use what works for them, and play to their own strengths to work with horses (or children). I teach kids and the same thing applies in a classroom. You can’t teach exactly like anyone else because you aren’t that person (plus, kids and animals can see right through any fake). You have to be yourself with both and that means you have to find your own way. You can’t do that if you try to follow one particular person and shun everything else.

12 Likes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=svPj8UEVoHo

Wow. Posted in April. Look at the body language. The writing’s on the wall here. Linda looks in tears. Jesus, what did he do to her??

4 Likes

Such a good point, but I also think that egotistical NH type and pretty much just narcissists in general are really just deeply insecure. They have to convince everyone around them that they’re so great at riding and training and everything else because they’re also trying to convince themselves of it. Deep down they know they’re not very talented.

The best riders I have ever met don’t go around and act like they are gods gift to horses because they know that they have nothing to prove to anyone or themselves. The best trainers I know are supportive of their students attending clinics because they’re not threatened by it. But when you’re in the NH cult, other trainers, other riders, and even other disciplines are extremely threatening to you because you have to face the fear that maybe you’re not as good as you think you are.

19 Likes

Which is funny, because I rarely see a ‘do or die NH’er’ actually ride their horse. Just loooooots of groundwork. I’ve had similar experiences as you.

27 Likes

Well her body language is definitely something. Honestly, I think a lot of people are getting divorced post-covid. That kind of togetherness is a lot to handle.

1 Like

As a Buck Branaman fan and audience member when he is in the region, Parelli has given NH a bad name. Linda is a big part of this.
I thought ol’ Pat had found a new place to park his pepperoni, but I lost track after I left the barn with the one serious acolyte (truthfully she went from being too afraid to ride on a windy day to back country riding in the Bitterroots, so she was impressive)

8 Likes

Meh.

Good horsemanship is good horsemanship. They were clever enough to realize that people are sheep and will buy a brand. Merchandising at its best.

I could never get over the video of Linda schooling a half blind horse on the lunge. I tried to post a link but it has been removed from everywhere that I looked. Hideous display of “training”. Poor horse.

17 Likes

Exactly right. And don’t ever. Ever. Ever. Question them. I had one of their disciples lose her marbles on me after I asked her a simple question. Parelli is for the egotists who want to pretend they “know” their horses but funny, how their horses thinking is just exactly like their thinking. And Anderson…pffffft. for idiots who believe in dominating the horse thru terrorizing the poor animal. Narcissists all.

11 Likes

I agree that is true for many of them. I think the rest are like people who are tone deaf and don’t know it so they think they are playing music but their guitars (or whatever) are out of tune.

7 Likes