Unlimited access >

Parelli Methods

So, I am fairly new to the horse world, I just got a beautiful American Paint foal. Trying to really familiarize myself with the horse world. I like to read up on horse news and whatnot. It seems that every time I pick something up, I read about the Parelli method. It seems to be every where, from success stories to tips, the Parelli name always seems to be mentioned.

I guess my question is, what is so special about the Parelli method? Does it have a significant change on the results of training? If so, what are those results? And are those results achieved only by Parelli?

I’m not trying to spark a debate here. Just trying to really get a grasp on what Parelli training is and why it matters, mainly for my own knowledge base. Would also love to hear about some first hand experiences. Thank you in advance for your time and responses!!

Spend some time in the archives and then you can more specifically target your questions.

G.

I would gently second Guilherme’s advice in lieu of giving my opinion as an answer to your question.

But, my unsolicited advice would be, congrats on the new horse, and the best thing you can do is find, and work with, a good local trainer.

You will find very few fans of Parelli here. Great marketing plan, substandard horsemanship.

I third/fourth the recommendation to read the archives.

A newbie and a foal is a lose lose scenario. Neither of you knows what you are doing. More important than any “method” you need boots on the ground to teach you the ropes before you get killed and/or your foal gets ruined.

You and your horse would be best served finding a competent trainer.

maybe there are some who have used parelli’s methods to make a functioning horse… but… I haven’t met one yet.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it. I thought I had looked far enough through the archives, but I didn’t.

[QUOTE=m.james;7874729]
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it. I thought I had looked far enough through the archives, but I didn’t.[/QUOTE]

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247238
The original video was deleted

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?319858-Apology-for-assumptions-I-made-about-Catwalk

The topic is always good for a truckload of popcorn and a keg of beer.

I hope you have a real life trainer experienced with youngsters at hand. A DVD will not be enough to keep you out of trouble (and the hospital).

Good Luck

Wow, did YOU come to the wrong forum. (To sum up: most of us here think Parelli, Clinton Anderson, GoWanPullMyFinger Boy, and a lot of the “system” sellers are snake-oil salesmen.) SOME of it is based in reality, but honestly, to effectively sort through the chaff to wheat ratio, you need to have good real-world horse experience first. With a baby? Get a good trainer who doesn’t do a system but rather has experience training babies.

The Search feature has been “broken” here for a very long time. I find it harder than heck to find things on COTH, even when I know quite specifically what I am looking for.

Wishing you great success with your new horse.

[B][U]TROLL

[/U]Come on people. First time poster, brand new to horses, with a foal, wanting to talk about parelli. Don’t take the bait.

It’s not so much bait as an entire cake covered in chocolate, lined in marzipan, and then wheeled into your bedroom by 5 naked men.

[/B]

[QUOTE=enjoytheride;7875019]
[B][U]TROLL

[/U]Come on people. First time poster, brand new to horses, with a foal, wanting to talk about parelli. Don’t take the bait.

It’s not so much bait as an entire cake covered in chocolate, lined in marzipan, and then wheeled into your bedroom by 5 naked men.

[/B][/QUOTE]

While I get what you’re saying, remember we have been asked by the Mods not to assume anyone is trolling, less we scare off a well meaning newbie.

This scenario actually wouldn’t surprise me, because this is the kind of horse person who WOULD get sucked into Parelli. New owner, young horse, with dreams of training it. That’s Parelli market numero uno.

How about lose the cake and marzipan and just wheel in 5 naked (good looking) men covered in chocolate :wink:

[B][U]TROLL

[/B][/QUOTE]

Aww come on, I just made the popcorn! But I will take the cake with the 5 naked men, okay forget the cake!!:smiley:

[QUOTE=m.james;7874563]
I’m not trying to spark a debate here. [/QUOTE]

I concur with enjoytheride: TROLL! Why else would they say they aren’t trying to spark a debate? They wouldn’t know the general consensus of CoTH on Parelli if they hadn’t done a search. I call Troll!

Learning the Parelli view on horse psychology can be really interesting. Other than that, get a good local trainer to assist you in whole process.

[B][U]TROLL

[/B][/QUOTE]

But it’d be so delightful…

OP, I second (third/fourth) the idea of finding a good local trainer.

[QUOTE=Sannois;7875051]
Aww come on, I just made the popcorn! But I will take the cake with the 5 naked men, okay forget the cake!!:D[/QUOTE]

I’ll have to see these naked men before I agree to take them :lol: my brain is still slightly fried from an earlier post today in OT invoking a “mankini”.

Just came back from Sandals. They have a chocolate night one night a week during which two staff members are dipped in chocolate head to toe. Everyone oohs and aahs over them. Me, I am thinking how incredibly uncomfortable they must be.