Unlimited access >

Paris Olympics. There are Issues

Excerpt from the article;

"As it stands, equestrian sport is scheduled for the first 11 days of the Paris Olympics – with proposals to fit all eventing dressage into day one. The competition arena does not have floodlights, there is no contingency day and modern pentathlon starts at the venue on day 12, which adds to the timetabling “puzzle”. "

I thought Modern Pentathlon got rid of the riding portion.

4 Likes

After the 2024 games I believe.

It will be interesting to see how they accommodate all of the Eventing dressage tests in one day, even if they are able to install the lighting required to go at night.

1 Like

There seem to be bigger problems;

I need to sell my tickets. They promised/threatened a “resale platform” which is the only way to resell, by February… instead of that, they announced they were selling more “unannounced tickets”… now the platform is supposedly coming in “spring 2024”.

The reason I didn’t bother to purchase tickets is because I went to WEG in Normandy in 2014. The organization was very poor then.

6 Likes

That’s behind a pay wall for me.

1 Like

Me too.

Is there any place to read this without the paywall?

1 Like

Try this;

4 Likes

Thank you very much.

haha came here to say that. I think I still have PTSD from that cross country day experience. It was a total debacle.

1 Like

@Meshach1 It really was unbelievably awful, wasn’t it? We arrived very early, as fortunately we were staying fairly close by, and so we’re able to get in despite the parking fiasco. However, inadequate provision of food, inadequate provision of toilets, rain, mud, mud, rain, inadequate toilets, inadequate food - and the roads into the Heras du Pin closed by the police because the traffic jams trying to get in were so long. I heard of people walking for some 20 km, arriving mid-afternoon to mud, rain, no loos and no food. It was a total French farce.

3 Likes

Sounds like the Fyre Festival of horse sports! No thank you!

The day is etched in my memory :sweat_smile:

We did get a late start that AM so we were in that traffic jam for hours only to be forced to abandon our vehicle and walk like something out of an apocalyptic movie. It was me, my husband who had never been to a big horse trial (having been to rolex, burgley and badminton me: “it’s so much fun you are going to have a blast!” … he’s never been to one again since lol) and my mother. she was 83 at the time and in great shape but not walk 10 miles uphill shape. and during the walk started to feel faint. That is a whole other long story navigating that especially when I got split from the two of them with very sporadic cell service.

Only to finally get there exhausted with no food left, nothing to drink except splitting a warm can of diet coke amongst the 3 of us, slogging through mud. I saw someone being carried through the crowd on a stretcher.

I think I saw one horse and rider. :joy:

6 Likes

Our plan for the Olympics was to stay in Versailles the night before XC. It’s easy walking distance to the course.

My Dad decided that he didn’t want to face crowds in Paris for the rest of that trip, so that’s why we’re not going.

2 Likes