partial acl tear?

Anyone had this? How quickly do you get back to riding or don’t you? did you end up needing surgery even though tear was not a complete rupture? have you been prone to reinjury?

The recovery from a “partial” is not that different than from surgery. It is more or less accepted that these eventually loosen up to “full” tear laxity.

The trauma to the meniscus and secondary restraints is an X factor.

IMO…
What matters most is sticking to an off horse strengthening program
Switching to cavalry foot
and
going to a wider stirrup to give the foot a larger base to work from.

Regards,
Medical Mike
Equestrian Medical Researcher
www.equicision.com

Hi Mike, thanks so much for your reply. It makes sense…do you think prolotherapy could work to avoid surgery?

Mike, can you clarify “cavalry foot” for me?

OP, I blew my right ACL out completely and partially tore my left ACL in 1998. I also partially tore my left MCL in 2009. The menisci in both knees are trashed. I never had surgery and I have had to be very careful to exercise regularly off the horse: pilates, careful jogging with attention to form, and low-impact strength building exercises. I feel pretty great now and am able to be just as active as I want. I do sound like Rice Krispies when I walk, but such is life. Riding is comfortable for me, but I usually have to ice my knees afterward or they swell up.

Wow, Didg, you are an inspiration! I tore my medial meniscus and had it shaved off + plica removal June 2011 after negative MRI but being unable to consistently do much for almost 2 yrs prior. I would try to do things, but pain and inflamm. kept returning. Surgery went well, surgeon noted a loose ACL but it tightened upon manipulation and I had not had any problems with it, so he left it alone.

Fast forward 7 months post-op, was doing all activities and getting back into great shape, when an accident jumping caused a re-injury which we think is partil acl tear, in same knee. That was 9 wks ago - I cannot walk for long w/o pain, all sports have been stopped. I feel very desolate, b/c I thought it was over but being unable to do even the most basic of things (walk) is infuriating. I have been doing PT but still no real changes. I am having difficulty accepting my state because I am young and have no other health issues.

Evening Everyone,
E.A.
while prolo has benefits, this is not one of those times. Based on your history, I’d say there is quite a bit going on within the joint. There are some ACL forums full of other athletes that have/are going through the same things you are. Give them a try I think you will find them a good source of information and support.

Didgery:
Calvary foot is what you see in the WWI/II era books.
Nutshell is foot roughly centered on the stirrup or FRONT edge behind the balls of all 5 toes, outside branch pointing BACK to trace that arch,
and
stepping into the stirrup…NO HEELS DOWN
and
toe/foot pointing in the direction it ends up when you just have your legs over the horse, not in the stirrups. They are probably 2 or so on the right foot and 10 or so on the left foot. NO adjustments, NO going to 12 “because the rules say so”.

Regards,
Medical Mike
www.equicision.com

[QUOTE=medical mike;6227289]
Evening Everyone,
E.A.
while prolo has benefits, this is not one of those times. Based on your history, I’d say there is quite a bit going on within the joint. There are some ACL forums full of other athletes that have/are going through the same things you are. Give them a try I think you will find them a good source of information and support.

Didgery:
Calvary foot is what you see in the WWI/II era books.
Nutshell is foot roughly centered on the stirrup or FRONT edge behind the balls of all 5 toes, outside branch pointing BACK to trace that arch,
and
stepping into the stirrup…NO HEELS DOWN
and
toe/foot pointing in the direction it ends up when you just have your legs over the horse, not in the stirrups. They are probably 2 or so on the right foot and 10 or so on the left foot. NO adjustments, NO going to 12 “because the rules say so”.

Regards,
Medical Mike
www.equicision.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mike!