PATH Instructor and Amateur Status

Hey guys,

Wondering if I can teach as a PATH certified instructor and maintain amateur status in USEF/USHJA and AQHA.

I’ve heard yes and no. If anyone is a rule natzi, I’d love to have your help!

Thanks guys!

I’ve posted a couple times, it looks like I’m finally taking the leap. I’ve emailed a mentor and found a small up and coming program that is looking to hire a PATH instructor and become a non-profit.

Fingers Crossed!

I just found this here:

Accepts remuneration for giving riding or driving lessons, lessons in showmanship, instructions in equitation or horse training. (Persons acting as counselors at summer camps, who are not hired in the exclusive capacity of riding instructors are excluded and persons giving instruction and training to the handicapped).

But how does one quantify that the kids/adults they are teaching are handicapped and to what extent does the rider need to be handicapped?

ETA: This is a USEF rule.

I would go to the source - the governing body of whatever group you want to show with - and ask. I don’t see why a therapeutic riding instructor would be considered any less of a professional than any other, but I’ve always assumed I was a professional and in the small amount of showing I do, it doesn’t matter anyway.

USEF added this loophole to the rules to not punish people who receive reimbursement or are otherwise employed by purely therapeutic riding programs. The level of handicap doesn’t matter. If you are helping people who use horses as therapy, you are a not a profession horseman from that alone. My interpretation of the “spirit of the rule” would mean you couldn’t teach a competing rider in the program even if they are handicapped/para, unless you are doing strictly therapeutic exercises and not riding skills. Of course, ask USEF. If you’re just a therapist or assistant with bona fide program, then good news, USEF allows this with no affect on your amateur status.

I have a friend who has worked for years as a certified instructor at a therapeutic riding facility and she has also shown as amateur the whole time. I’m sure she got sign-off somewhere, though I never thought to ask.

Thanks guys! I won’t be teaching competitive riders, at least that’s not my goal anytime soon.

According to USHJA and AQHA (requires anyone holding ammy status and teaching theraputic riding to be certified, checking which organizations meet their requirements) what I want to do will still leave me ammy eligable. Good news for me.

I guess I am the “rules nazi”. :sunglasses:

First, AQHA and USEF amateur rules are quite different, so check with AQHA separately.

Second, USHJA does not make or enforce Amateur rules. They fall under the USEF rules.

USEF rules have a relatively recent exemption for “teaching the handicapped”.

They have a dedicated email address for Amateur inquiries

amateurinquiry@usef.org

I suggest you email them to find out whether or not PATH “counts”.

And please let us know what they say.

[QUOTE=Janet;8005584]
I guess I am the “rules nazi”. :sunglasses:

First, AQHA and USEF amateur rules are quite different, so check with AQHA separately.

Second, USHJA does not make or enforce Amateur rules. They fall under the USEF rules.

USEF rules have a relatively recent exemption for “teaching the handicapped”.

They have a dedicated email address for Amateur inquiries

amateurinquiry@usef.org

I suggest you email them to find out whether or not PATH “counts”.

And please let us know what they say.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Janet, I’ll email USEF.

Here is what AQHA has to say:

(4) Notwithstanding subsection (a)(3)(A&B) above, certification as an instructor in equitherapy by Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International (PATH) or similar organizations recognized by AQHA shall not result in amateur ineligibility. AQHA shall maintain a list of such recognized organizations. To be eligible as an AQHA amateur, the excepted instructor may only teach students enrolled with the recognized organization or prescribed such rehabilitation by a licensed medical doctor. Any amateur competitor excepted under this provision shall file such certification with the AQHA Amateur Department prior to any competition by such individual.

ETA: Although I’ve already decided on PATH, I have sent an email to AQHA asking them which organizations they recognize.

From AmateurInquiry@usef.org

Amateurs are permitted to receive remuneration for instruction given to the handicapped. The relevant rule is copied below.

Chapter 13, GR1306.3a and b
3. Permitted activities by Amateur. An Amateur is permitted to do the following:
a. Accept reimbursement for actual expenses associated with conducting classroom seminars for a not-for-profit organization, therapeutic riding programs, or programs for charitable organizations approved in advance by the Federation.
b. Act as a camp counselor when not hired in the exclusive capacity as a riding instructor; assist in setting schooling fences without remuneration; give instruction or training to handicapped riders for therapeutic purposes.

Regulation Department
| t 859 258 2472 | f 859 258 9792 | e amateurinquiry@usef.org | w usef.org
| United States Equestrian Federation