Unlimited access >

Patrick Saddlery...thoughts???

Will do! 8-10 weeks out.

Very nice. I hope you love it.

1 Like

Bumping this old thread. I’ve been riding in a Black Country Vinici, but my mare now needs and XW tree. I’ve found a Patrick Leggero that might work for me, so I’m looking for some insight before taking it on trial since it’s on the other side of the country. The limited local fitters we have specialize in Custom and Lovatt & Ricketts, but will work on other brands. Are Patrick saddles generally easy to work on, flocking wise? It seems some brands you are SOL if you’re not in their service area, and I don’t want to get into that situation. For the OP, are you still liking the saddle you ordered?

I have two custom Patricks for my horses and really like them. I chose the Juno model as it fits my small stature

@Roni4444 Thanks, for the reply. I am the opposite, tall with ridiculous long femurs, and it looks like this Leggero has a more forward flap plus a shorter block (my Vinici is custom with a forward flap and short block).

Do you work specifically with a Patrick rep for your saddles, or have you worked with an independent fitter?

I love mine still! I had mine custom made for my Thoroughbred 2 years ago and I now have an Oldenburg as of October. It needed to be adjusted and Kate Ballard who did my original custom fitting, re fit it to my new horse. I have only had her work on the saddle and that’s a couple times a year. I know she is in Florida this time of year but does have an assistant who works with her as well and travels. Kate is originally from Illinois, I’m in Wisconsin. Where are you located? You could maybe contact her and she could recommend a Patrick rep if she can’t get to you…?

Thanks @HunterMarc I am in Idaho, so pretty far off the beaten path. We have Lovatt ad Ricketts and Custom reps locally, and get Prestige and Trilogy coming through periodically and that’s about it.

Glad you are still liking your saddle and were able to get it fit to your new horse!

I was told that Patrick retired. So, used saddles only now.

On the question of reflocking, I’ve had mine (a Rigel) adjusted with no problems several times as the youngster grew and muscled up.

1 Like

My roommate is an independent saddle fitter and sells Patricks. She finds them very easy to work on as far as flocking. How far are you from Colorado? She goes out west 2-3x a year to fit saddles, re-flock, etc.

Colorado is about 12 hours from here our states are big!

In the process to getting tracings sent so we’ll see if it’s even in the realm of what we need.

I have had 2 Patrick jump saddles for my now retired horse. I loved them. My independent saddle fitter liked working on them. She sold a few to other clients.

1 Like

I think he is still making saddles. I am friends with his wife on FB so I see her posts. In November she mentioned he had 48 years as a saddler and she doesn’t know when he will stop.

He has been talking about retiring for a while now.

1 Like

Yes, looking at the Patrick website it seems active. They are also showing new models available from the rep selling this used one. New would be a little more than just ordering a wider Black Country, and not on the table since I wasn’t budgeting for a new saddle this year!

I am sure he has other Saddlers working for him.

I rode in one when I was saddle shopping. They are very nice quality. Sadly, it didn’t work for either me or the horse.

1 Like

To follow up, I got the Leggero on trial and it fits my mare really nicely. I rode her four days in a row, which is more than she’s done for most of the winter, and she was, if anything, happier on the fourth day than the first, so I bit the bullet and decided to keep it. It’s a wider twist than I’m used to, but within the realm of what I can adapt to, for my horse’s happiness. Balance is good and the leather quality is great. Overall very pleased with it, and had a good experience with Flying Star Saddlery down in FL as well.

2 Likes

I worked with Kim Benson at Flying Star. She’s located in Fl but traveled to Colorado several times a year prior to Covid

2 Likes