Unlimited access >

Patrick Saddlery...thoughts???

Who has experience with Patrick Saddlery? Please tell me your thoughts, pro’s and cons.

I am looking for a monflap with a bigger block and sat in two Patricks and liked what I felt.

Thanks!

Patricks are very nice! Rode in quite a few - custom and off the rack. That being said, if you sat in one you liked, you should buy that one. Saddles of the same model don’t ride the same. So you could ride in an off the rack model which would feel different from a customized model of the same name. I found it confusing and frustrating so bought an Albion (I was in the buying used or off the rack camp.)
Patricks are really beautiful and well made (both dressage and jump saddles) though, and if I have the need to go custom, I would have a Patrick made.

1 Like

Thanks! I would rather get used versus new. The two that I sat in are not for sale, two friends have them and I just sat in them while they were on their horse.

Sure! Contact Kate Ballard at Stanbridge Master Saddlers. She is in Illinois but comes to southern Wisconsin. She doesn’t sell used saddles but may have some connections.

2 Likes

Funny you say that, I actually just called her on my lunch break to schedule a fitting.

Ha, too funny! Bet she’ll know of something!

1 Like

Love the Patrick Saddle…the velcro removable knee roll plus so comfortable

1 Like

My saddler, Kevin Lote, is a friend of Patrick’s, and says that Patrick is a very good saddler. They both use some of the same technology and ideas, and I love the saddles Kevin’s made for me.

3 Likes

I am torn on the Velcro knee roll. I just don’t like the idea of velcro…maybe it would be something to get used to.

All of mine have velcro thigh blocks and you’d never know they weren’t sewn on. The velcro makes changing sizes and placement of thigh blocks easy, and the blocks are VERY solidly attached with the velcro.

2 Likes

Good to know! Thanks

They are lovely saddles. If you are looking for used - Pelham Saddlery has a couple of them. Mine is one of them. PM me for details . . . to clarify - on why it’s for sale . . .

1 Like

I have had 2 Patrick jump saddles. Love them. Really really love them.

1 Like

Thanks! I have been keeping my eye out and find it hard to find a narrow or at least a narrow/medium tree with an 18" seat.

I’ve never heard of them. They look nice on the website, but the flap looks a little too forward for my taste on the dressage saddles. I like my (long) flap to go straight down.

1 Like

I’ve been told that having to much of a vertical block puts you in the wrong position. Not saying that you are, just what I have heard.

I’ve never sat in a Patrick, but as for the velcro thigh blocks - as far as I’m concerned I will never go back to non-velcro (or adjustable in some way). It really makes a difference being able to adjust the position to fit your leg, or to swap for a different size/shape of block. I am not really an “off the rack” shaped person, and being able to adjust my thigh block makes a really big difference to me,

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t disagree, Hunter. I’ve just been seeing a LOT of chair seats lately. But I’m talking about the flap itself, not the thigh block.

1 Like

I have decided to move forward with a Patrick saddle. Myself and my horse were fitted as I was looking for used to see what I would really need but what I want is really hard to find. 18" seat, narrow tree, long outer blocks and a monoflap. So, I have placed my custom order! Can’t wait!

4 Likes

Waiting is the hardest part. I have loved both of my Patrick saddles. Please share pictures when it comes in.

1 Like