Unlimited access >

Pedigree critique--2008 OTTB gelding?

I really have no idea what to look for when it comes to pedigree, which horses mean what, etc. I got him in March and love him to pieces–he’s the perfect horse for me. I was just wondering what everyone thinks of his pedigree! I’ll add a conformation photo later.

un readable

Oops sorry!

http://www.pedigreequery.com/najeeb+tmd

Try this one?

I see some nice names in there, although many of those in the first two or three I don’t recognize. I must say though, I am intruiged and possibly afraid of a horse who has “Crimson Satan” as an ancestor THREE times. Did someone just really not get along with with that colt??

[QUOTE=wildlifer;7156339]
I see some nice names in there, although many of those in the first two or three I don’t recognize. I must say though, I am intruiged and possibly afraid of a horse who has “Crimson Satan” as an ancestor THREE times. Did someone just really not get along with with that colt??[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure what you mean…?

The good news is that the more Crimson Satan you have the more Papila and Spy Song you have. Spy Song is from the wonderful Peter Pan jumping family and Papila is a definite influence for physical toughness.

Then there is the line to Pronto (Jumping) and the line to Thatching, whose brother Prince Thatch was one of those rare TBs who has been proved to have been dressage line for WBs in Germany. Thatching is the grandsire on top of the Australian Olympic eventer, Kirby Park Allofasudden. Twine has a beautiful pedigree for sport. Royal Academy is the sire of Dr. Greve’s TB stallion, Painter’s Row, who has been used in German WB breeding, including Holstein and Oldenburg, and has produced some Continental 3* event horses.

[QUOTE=skipollo;7157285]
Not quite sure what you mean…?[/QUOTE]

I think she means:

What was he like as a colt to earn a name like “Crimson Satan”? It doesn’t indicate good things and I hope he didn’t live up to it.

Christa

Isn’t there a horse in a Walter Farley book called Satan, son of the Black Stallion? The name of the Crimson Satan’s breeder’s farm was Crimson King, so Crimson was sort of a given. Walter Farley was very popular at the time he was born.

[QUOTE=Christa P;7158339]
I think she means:

What was he like as a colt to earn a name like “Crimson Satan”? It doesn’t indicate good things and I hope he didn’t live up to it.

Christa[/QUOTE]

IIRC, no more then any young stallion in racing shape. Just was a really pretty chestnut, whoever named him probably read too many Black Stallion books. He raced at Santa Anita around the 1960s. Stakes horse, cant remember the distances, just the flashy name.

Quick check shows he had 58 starts, going 18 wins, 9 place and 9 show with career earnings just under 800k-in the early 60s…I’d say he was sound and no devil at all even if he was not a lap dog.

[QUOTE=wildlifer;7156339]
I see some nice names in there, although many of those in the first two or three I don’t recognize. I must say though, I am intruiged and possibly afraid of a horse who has “Crimson Satan” as an ancestor THREE times. Did someone just really not get along with with that colt??[/QUOTE]

i snickered when i read this! i think he was named after a farley book, like viney mentioned.

from what i remember, a woman at suffolk downs detailed me about crimson satan a long time ago (we went to look at a horse there who had him as a grandfather and i laughed at the name) and IIRC, she said he was an affluent chaser sire, very tough and big boned - the horse in question we looked at had legs thick as a tree truck (in a good way) and strong, solid bone.

Papila was a wonderful influence for soundness. She had a daughter named Blue Canary with over 100 starts.

Papila was a wonderful influence for soundness. She had a daughter named Blue Canary with over 100 starts. Crimson Saint was Terlingua’s dam, and it’s a wonderful broodmare line.

[QUOTE=skipollo;7157285]
Not quite sure what you mean…?[/QUOTE]

Oh sorry, LOL, I just thought it was a really funny name for a horse, it gave me this mental picture of evil, burning red eyes. Maybe I just have a weird sense of humour!

You peeps are letting me down! Satan was the Arabic name for The Black in the Black Stallion books. I think it was spelled as Shetan for us American kids.

I remember Crimson Satan from his track days. One hell of a good runner!

Thanks everybody! Here he is, if anyone would like to see?

https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/21147_10201262884793358_1527892429_n.jpg

Failure at the track but perfect for me.