Unlimited access >

Pegasus Equestrian in Oregon

I got a Facebook ad for this… https://pegasuseq.com/

(If they’re looking for investors they’ll need to fix their targeting algorithm. :joy: )

It sounds like another World Equestrian Center (Ocala) but in Oregon.

Anyone local have info?

I found an article that sounds like they are actually in the planning stages and more people showed up at a meeting to support it than to oppose. The water supply is a concern.

I’ll have to dig further but something in my brain says there is a big ‘event’ coming to Eugene in a few years which needs a horse venue of this magnitude.
I’ve heard talk, but I don’t normally pay much attention.

Hmm.

Oregon is looking to host the 2028 Olympics, Eugene already has Hayward Field. I think that’s what’s niggling in my brain.
Nevermind, further research shows it will be in Paris, and then Los Angeles.

But then there is this: https://nbc16.com/news/local/equestrian-facility-capable-of-hosting-olympic-events-proposed-for-douglas-county

I became aware of it at their original site, which is near Willamina off Highway 22 - I did not think that was an ideal location for such a place (its about 15 minutes west of me, on a two lane highway that is heavily traveled as its the main route to the coast in this area). The current location sounds more suitable given its proximity to the interstate, at least.

IF they can actually get it off the ground, I think it’s one of those ‘if you build it, they will come’ ideas - IF it truly will be an accessible venue for the average competitor, also, not just the big timers.

Well the plans were certainly impressive. When I first looked at it a few months ago I noticed there weren’t designated camping spots and sent an email asking if that’s going to be included as so many horse show competitors camp out. They said they are adding them in so…

I don’t know if the “luxury condominiums” is going to make sense for that area but you never know. I’m thinking it’s going to be like Suncadia and the Washington State Horse Park but on a larger Horse Park scale and without the trees.

Absolutely agree. It would be nice to have a closer venue than Washington (and without the health cert for crossing state lines). I think folks south of there would appreciate a shorter drive to something big also. Knowing Oregon horse people like I do, I think having something for “everyone” would be very wise. It should not be limited to the upper echelon.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s too near Eugene, rather farther south. I think the closest town is Eagle.

Weren’t they also going to sell homesites in an equestrian subdivision? I think they were vague on just where the land is, but called it “45 minutes from Eugene.” I think you’d have to be flying down I-5 to make that time. And Douglas County is a world away from the city of Eugene. Medford, nearby, does have a commercial airport.

1 Like

The site plan map shown on their website is a location about 50 miles south of Eugene down I5, and 20 minutes north of Roseburg. Medford is about 2 hours south.

I would love to see this come to fruition. Our trainers are pushing California shows because there just aren’t great indoor options in the PNW the eight rainy months of the year, and it would be great to have shows closer to home.

Edited to add: A bit more research and this looks sketchy. Looks like it was originally envisioned for California, then moved north. And the father of the brothers developing it is facing criminal charges around tax evasion and investment fraud. Super disappointing.

1 Like

Every few years a ‘big plan’ for a top tier equestrian venue is proposed somewhere in the PNW and it always falls through. I don’t know if it’s lack of funding, or maybe people realize how expensive building this stuff is and just quietly disappear with whatever funds they raised.

I remember when they were going to build the Washington horse park. It was originally proposed to be this huge, world class venue that would draw in competitors from around the world and bring a lot of revenue to the surrounding area. We were all super excited, because it meant we didn’t have to trailer down the California or up to BC to show at the top quality shows. Now, While the horse park is a nice show venue, you aren’t hearing about it in COTH.

It’s really too bad because the market is there! If someone opened up a nice venue, maybe 3 large indoor arenas all attached to each other, they could make bank.

Unfortunately, it’s a little too out of the way for the really big names to come. Also, the lack of an advanced course on XC is a detriment. It is busy all summer long and is a really nice venue for sure but does fail to attract the big shows. On the plus side, they did get the huge covered arena finished this past summer.

Just had a thought, to attract the competitors from around the country, I would think nearby access to a major airport would be needed. The closest one to Cle Elum is Sea-Tac, at least 2 - 3 hours away. That might be a factor.

1 Like

I got curious so I did some digging and found a friend in Oregon who’s talked to them about their plans. He didn’t want to say much out of respect but said, “Don’t get your hopes up. Not even a sliver of hope.” And chuckled.

Disappointing because OR has such a perfect climate for showing.

I did a little digging online as well and found this article. Take a look at the comments underneath. One of the Millegan boys is responding to comments. Doesn’t seem to like the people of Douglas County too much.