Unlimited access >

Pelvis has left the building. . .

Well in what can only be described as spectacularly bad luck, I was in an auto accident last week. Pretty nasty, and fortunate that I wasn’t more seriously injured. Besides outrageous bruising I fractured my pelvis in three places- superior pubic ramus with slight involvement of the acetabulum, inferior pubic ramus, and lateral wing of the sacrum. The fractures are simple and nondisplaced. They do not involve any weight bearing areas.

I’m managing pain very well with minimal meds (got off the narcotics ASAP), mobile with a walker and some weight bearing, and taking it very easy!

So. . . Has anyone tried any alternative therapies with regard to healing fractures? PEMF? Bone supplements? Any experience with this type of injury?

I cant add any info, but wish you a speedy recovery. And you win, for most creative title in this forum!

6 Likes

I would say rest, rest and rest. Someone else to do all chores.

REST.

3 Likes

Get physical therapy ASAP.

You may have to relearn how to move effectively. You will need guidance on just how to get your muscles stronger after the fractures heal, in a way that will not injure you further.

May you heal quickly and get back to riding after your body heals.

4 Likes

Oh my PegasusMom, how painful! Glad you are doing ‘ok’ - may your recovery be quick!

I second Jackie’s recommendation for good physical therapy from the start. Try to find someone who has additional training in gait and gait assessments, as they will have a more highly tuned eye to making sure your walking mechanics are corrected back to original. Follow advice re: walking about and gentle exercise, just like horses movement (gentle) is important for blood flow and healing.

As with all fractures, the basics of nutrition need to be there too. Lots of calcium and vitamin D so your body has the scaffolding to lay down for healing, as well as a complex vitamin B for any nerve regeneration and healing that may need to be prompted.

Sending best wishes for a speedy and effective recovery

2 Likes

Oh wow, prayers for quick healing!

I broke my back when I was in my twenties (lumbar to sacrum fusion). I’m riding twenty years later because I listened to the docs. I actually had dreams about putting on my back brace and getting on my mare, but I never did. I waited all three freaking months. It worked!

2 Likes

Thanks all. Have gotten my referral for ortho consult on Monday and will ask about PT. Good idea about the vitamin B complex and calcium. I am somewhat more. . . ahem mature.

Anyone have any other ideas please chime in!

1 Like

I smashed my pelvis several years ago falling off the back of a pony. Just bad luck that I hit at the wrong angle with just enough force. Had an external fixator and some internal metal placed. I was 3 months non-weight bearing and then it took 3 more months before I was really back on my feet properly. Learning to walk again was very very strange!

As for healing faster, I don’t think that’s possible. My mom pushed some homeopathic stuff on me (which I took because fine whatever it’s basically water). The bone healing process is complex and you really don’t want bone overgrowth. I am now looking at a hip replacement because while the fracture healed very well my pro-inflammatory body worked overtime and grew overhangs around the hip socket. Your body knows what it is about and will do it in its own time!

2 Likes

I realize I’m really lucky! No surgery, just a stern warning not to push it. Frustrating as I’m pretty pain free now and antsy to move on. Which I know will take time!

2 Likes