Pemphigus foliaceous, suddenly

My beautiful mare showed signs of sore feet, very scaly skin and a few odd welts on Sunday, June 1. From then until now, she has lost about half of her hair, and is starting to lose hair on her tail. A few skin breaks as well. This situation went from zero to 100. She was shiny and healthy one day and looking terrible two days later.

It is likely pemphigus foliaceous. We’re getting tested for it specifically on Tuesday. As an autoimmune disorder, the primary drug is a steroid. She can’t have them, as she’s already sporting sore feet from the PF. The other drugs must be taken for the life of the horse. It’s not cheap and their effectiveness is uneven. She’s 10 years old.

I’m not sure why I’m writing, except to say, I think I’ll have to put her down, as we cannot afford $300 drugs monthly for years on end. We’ve already dealt with kissing spine surgery with her, and seasonal head shaking, and a tendency for abscessed feet. It has been a lot - emotionally, mentally, financially.

It’s just…so sad. She’s a lovely animal in mind and heart, a beautiful girl, a boon companion, and it’s just hard. Thanks for listening.

24 Likes

I’m so sorry

3 Likes

I 'm so sorry. :frowning:

2 Likes

I am very very sorry. I have witnessed a case of PF and would not wish it on my worst enemy. Please maintain communication with your vet and especially a teaching hospital, if your vet is doing a consult. We know so little about PF because there are so few follow-ups. I hope your biopsy turns out to be negative. Jingles.

7 Likes

How awful. I’m so very sorry.

2 Likes

That’s terrible! I’m so sorry.

2 Likes

My cat had something that may have been PF. We treated him aggressively with steroids, antibiotics and he did get better but it was a lifelong fight to keep him comfortable and happy.

Given the mare’s condition, I would probably attempt the steroids and just see what happens. If she gets laminitis then you know it failed. What about Apoquel? I’ve heard it may help with autoimmune issues and honestly it may be a safer last ditch option then the steroids.

2 Likes

As hard as it is for you*, it’s harder for her.
She doesn’t understand why she’s in pain & we can’t explain.
In your shoes, I might try the steroids, but if laminitis results, how treatable will that be?
Euth is an option to consider & a teaching hospital might be a good resource.

*I’ve been there with 2 of my horses in 20+yrs, both sweet-natured & in pain from conditions untreatable w/o a guaranteed outcome & for one, adding pain in the treatment.
Both ended up at the vet college clinic at my vet’s suggestion.
I chose to put both down & don’t regret my decisions.

Sending Jingles​:chains::chains: & {hugs}

5 Likes

So sorry to hear this. She sounds like such a good girl. Whatever you do, it will be the right thing. :frowning:

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for your support and insight. We’re in a really remote, rural area. The nearest teaching hospital is a 10-hour haul. She has never been a straightforward horse - kissing spine, ulcers, abscess-prone, periodic head shaking. The kind vet said yesterday that her health quirks are likely related to this auto immune deal that has roared into life in the last two weeks. He did offer to try steroids, but we agreed that it’s too pernicious a disorder, and would likely require lifelong tinkering with different parts of the equation to figure out how to keep her comfortable. That’s not a good deal for her. She’s worth so much more to me than that.

Last night while eating dinner her breathing was labored. This thing is too sneaky. We suspect - with no proof - that the trigger for this may have been related to sunlight, since sunlight is a big part of the head shaking. But who knows. The guy’s coming today to dig the hole, and when he’s finished, we’ll call the vet. Thanks again for your kindness.

23 Likes

{{{{rockymouse}}}}

2 Likes

So sorry you’re facing this. A neighbor dealt with a similar scenario with a much loved horse for well over a year, and in the end they just couldn’t get him through it.

3 Likes

I’m sorry for your impending loss and admire your braveness to make a really hard decision for you that is the most compassionate for her. It sounds like you have done so much over the years to try and keep her happy and comfortable.

6 Likes

Oh, gosh, I’m so sorry. For what it’s worth, and you probably already know this since you are making the decision, you’re doing a good thing for your mare. You’re willing to create pain for yourself in order to relieve her of her own pain. That’s the greatest act of love we can bestow on these amazing animals, IMO. She’ll be at peace. Bless you for giving her such a gift.

6 Likes

Hugs rockymose. So very sorry about your mare.

3 Likes

So sorry that your poor girl is suffering with PF. I lost a dog to this a few years ago. She still suffered even with the steroids and then ended up with many complications.

Big hugs to you and your mare and jingles for a peaceful passing :heart:

2 Likes

I’m so very sorry about your impending loss.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you don’t have a better option. But I’m so glad you are putting her well being first. If we didn’t speak for our critters and make the hard decisions, who else would?

Rebecca

3 Likes

I’m sorry that you had to make the hard decision, but grateful on behalf of your mare that you had the grit to do it.
A wise veterinary neurologist once told me “animals don’t know how long they’ve lived, just how they were treated while they were living.”

20 Likes

I’m sorry, too💔.

1 Like