Unlimited access >

Penalizing sitting trot?

I am learning the hover myself now! Definitely better for my terrible neck and lower back.

Having shown to this judge, I can attest to her dislike of anyone sitting the trot on a younger/greener horse. I often sit because I post crooked from a hip surgery that left one hip super tight compared to the other one…I can sit straight, but not post straight, but you bet your buttons after her posts and comments on other’s scorecards, I posted my training level test to her the other month. :wink: :slight_smile:

But I haven’t specifically heard of the program, but I suppose it’s to support her point.

But I can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone specifically do lateral work rising in the circles I’m in. How common is it?

1 Like

I totally agree. She was THE BNT here in the 80s and 90s. Very harsh.

A rider who is physically unable to do something usually required can apply for a dispensation. The rider can ride in regular classes and the judge will be notified of the dispensation. I think more people with significant physical issues should take this option. As more of us ride and compete past our physical prime I think this will (and should) become more common.

3 Likes

Those who find themselves tossed around while rising in the mediums are lacking a stronger lower leg, and body control.

For those that can’t keep their horses forward enough or "into the hand, they need to go back to the drawing board before they show that level, or should if,medically necesary apply for a dispensation.

Cranky old teacher

8 Likes

Thank you @Long_Time_Lurker. Coming from eventing, I was unaware that this is an option.

As a first timer at not-quite Second Level on a bouncy homebred WB boy do I wish this was in place now! Working hard on my position and also saving my horse’s back as he also learns All The Things…

I did get a dispensation for a seat saver but none to be able to do rising trot (back issues). Me and my back are 61 now and it’s no joke, just riding at all, grateful to still be doing it. But frustrated I’ll admit, on this being required.

5 Likes

Having watched many people sitting trot lengthenings that were cringe worthy, I am wondering if we could use more tests for lower level riders which allow posting. There will always be more people who can not sit bigger movements than those who can, and making more ways for them to enjoy the sport would be nice.

As far as moving up the levels and posting…I don’t see how one can do upper level work at all without being able to sit the horse well. So encouraging people to post above second level, would be a no go for me. Not even sure above first level is wise. I do think it is different for the young horse classes, but then most of the riders for that are pros.

Btw, does anyone know if there are rules for riders wearing sport braces? I basically am duct taped together to ride these days but still dream of showing :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I rode last year with a broken wrist (it was Regionals and I’d qualified, no way was I going to miss that!) and I had a black wrist brace under my jacket. I didn’t even think to see if it was legal or not, nobody noticed but when I was doing research for my seat saver I believe (not positive) that I did see where braces needed to be approved. Don’t quote me on that though. :slight_smile: