Unlimited access >

Penalizing sitting trot?

Here’s a weird one that I saw on a schooling show entry form:

I can understand the appeal of allowing rising trot. Why penalize sitting though? Is it just to discourage ringers who can sit the trot from entering the rising division in order to win ribbons? A quick google of “Natalie Lamping sit no more” didn’t yield anything enlightening.

https://www.facebook.com/lightingthewaytoC/posts/pfbid0bn6Am9VCyZBsU8TtUf4n8QK3Ggrufu4JBFQGkGj28r3hLNE4BPAWSS1siq9eEPgUl

She talks about it here.

3 Likes

I wish they would do that on the FEI 4 year old test.

16 Likes

I would’ve liked this at 2nd level :sweat_smile: extended trot wasn’t my horses strong point, and rising at the extended trot helped us out a lot initially. Still wouldn’t be opposed to it now as an option. Especially for young and/or green horses.

I know by that level (2nd and onward) you should be able to sit and ride mediums and/or extensions, but I’d rather see a nice extension done at the rising trot as opposed to someone who cannot ride that trot sitting and has to damper the horses movement/expression and/or bounce around a lot. Then again, maybe it’s a skill (being able to sit) that they should’ve mastered to compete at that level, I don’t know. Mixed feelings there.

8 Likes

From my experience listening to judges while scribing and during the L program, along with what I’ve seen with my own eyes, I’ve come to the conclusion that most people who sit the lengthenings and mediums are doing their horses a disservice. Not only does it ruin the horse for that movement, but it tends to bleed into the next movements, as well. I suspect she is trying to save the horse and maybe keep scores from dipping during that and the next movement.

Maybe her long game is also to educate riders that it’s ok to ride at your level, and to not try for movements/activities that are beyond your skill set.

25 Likes

The judge doesn’t penalize for sitting trot, but by sitting the rider may be penalizing the horse. In the lower levels where posting is allowed, the horses are often young and not strong enough to carry themselves as well in sitting trot as posting. And often the riders at that level aren’t experienced enough to sit the trot well. So in both cases, posting would help the horse go better, which would result in a higher score

6 Likes

Oh man, I would love this. I love dressage and really enjoy training my horse (and myself) up the levels. Competition is my way of checking on my progress.

But I am physically incapable of sitting any horses lengthened trot. The bottom third of my spine is a fused lump of calcium with no flex. I just can’t do it.

This would give me a way to let my horse move freely and correctly as he does when I can post the lengthening and I could challenge myself up another level. Count me in!

22 Likes

There are too many riders who believe they can sit the medium and extended trots when in reality they don’t do a very good job of it. I would rather see riders who can sit well enter these “Sit No More” divisions, whatever the motivation, than see riders who can’t sit well being required to do so with the horses paying the price.

15 Likes

In this case the rider would be penalized for sitting.

1 Like

Have you tried the hover? So you stand up just a teeny tiny bit and feel the saddle but aren’t really sitting into it? I know a rider with really bad arthritis who does this.

Also, I’ve ridden an extended trot holding onto the bucking strap with one hand to keep myself in the saddle and was not penalized by Hilda Gurney (horse was very spooky that day and we were heading directly towards the show photographer who was crouched down outside the arena - I did not want to get spun off out of an extended trot if my horse spooked).

4 Likes

You don’t show extended gaits until 3rd level. 2nd level would have been mediums.

4 Likes

I would like to add that while I think this could help many, many riders at that level, I have an especial dislike for this particular judge. I will never post anything bad about a judge, but if you are dying of curiosity, you can PM me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the ideas, theresak. I’ve tried them in the past and my thought was thank goodness my horse is forgiving! But we can try again. Good ideas.

@frugalannie good luck. These tips really work best if the horse is pushing pretty strongly into the hand and giving you something to almost brace against. As bad as bracing sounds…this would be one case where strong in the hand can help keep me in the correct position (butt in the saddle!).

Oh snap. Because I’m the world’s laziest rider, I have taught my horse to be light in the bridle and work off light aids. Might have to rethink that!

6 Likes

Y’know, I thought so. That’s why I edited my post to say mediums/extensions but I didn’t edit the first part :upside_down_face: whoops. It’s been ages since I’ve ridden and competed in dressage in the US. So I often just loosely equivocate the US levels to what we have here.

2 Likes

Oh I feel you - I’ve got a young horse that doesn’t push into the hand much and it’s really easy for me to get tossed around above the saddle any time he’s doing something wonky with his rhythm. Everything is so inconsistent! I try to sit his trot here and there but if any little thing changes, up we go to posting so I can help him swing and connect.

My older horse was a “kick and hold” ride but although he’d get strong in the hand in the medium/extended trot, he’d come right back to collected or passage with just a core and thigh half halt.

Maybe I’m nuts, but I honestly cannot even fathom trying to post my horse’s medium trot. Perhaps I’ll try it during my lesson next week, but I feel like there’s so much other stuff going on that it takes all my concentration just to focus on all the other things without throwing posting into the mix. And don’t get me wrong - my sitting trot is not GP ready level or anything, but it’s decent and has improved A LOT. I just feel like I’m a lot more secure and can manage my horse better when I’m sitting vs. posting, especially with his tendency to be a little spooky at times.

4 Likes

Yeah, I like having the option. I’m showing a mare who can be a little spooky/explody at shows and it’s nice having the option of keeping my butt in the saddle in the first level tests. I think it gives her more confidence too. Now when my 17H WB makes it to 2nd, I’ll probably be wishing for the option to post her medium!

3 Likes

I would like it (allowing posting in mediums). I have had my tailbone removed and the area is forever tender. I wasn’t good at sitting mediums before the tb started bothering me and I am sure I wouldn’t be any better now. The rest of my spine is in similar shape to frugalannie’s. I just figured I am done showing but maybe we could finally make it to second level if allowed to post the mediums? I have no problem sitting SI. I don’t think the rider should be penalized for sitting unless the horse is being impeded then the score should reflect that.

Susan

2 Likes