People Attempting to Undermine Safe Sport

Brian Gruber of Tulucay Farms Show Stables in California (formerly of Ridgefield Farm in Maryland and some others in Pennsylvania) has been temporarily suspended for allegations of misconduct. No sanctions against Missy, his business partner and wife, at this time.

2 Likes

Have you guys been seeing the news about Hockey Canada?

Apparently they were using membership funds to keep a victim slush fund to pay off victims over the last 20 years 21 women had settlements paid. These fees they take from for the slush fund are also paid in by the womens hockey association.

They’ve lost their government funding. Going to be very interesting to see what happens with this whole thing going forward.

8 Likes

I’ve been following it a bit, what a mess. Heads are going to roll.

2 Likes

I just cant get over the money they have shovelled and paid out on this fund. Imagine what that money could do for their sport? Like imagine a million dollars a year of EC/USEF money going to abuse victims! Would be crazy. But instead just spend members money to save face because forbid anyone say anything to the darling little hockey players or even worse suspend people. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

He was just at the Oregon High Desert Classic. I thought suspended meant staying away from shows.

The suspension was enacted yesterday.

1 Like

Thank you. He’s not far from me.

1 Like

Also, the people who were in charge (leadership and Board of Hockey Canada) WHILE THIS WAS HAPPENING refuse to step down and keep saying that they are the right people to steer HC through this “new era”. So, the people who paid off the victims of assault (I won’t assume they’re all women since we don’t know details) and kept it all quiet are claiming they can now change the culture of the organization? WTActualF.

8 Likes

You’re right I shouldn’t have assumed that in my post!

Agreed, the whole thing is disgusting.

1 Like

I was thinking about Sheldon Kennedy and how he brought a lot of this to light.

They really need to clean house, but I’m not sure what leeway they have to do it if leadership won’t voluntarily step down. You’d think there’d be some sort of mechanism to get them out but maybe there isn’t one (yet). Pascale St. Onge doesn’t seem to be able to force them out - she’s been very vocal that they need to leave and are not the right people to see HC through this, but so far hasn’t (probably can’t) ordered them to step down.

I also agree that any players involved in any sexual assaults, who are currently in the NHL, should be booted out.

The lawyers handling the reopened case (from 2018) stated that any player who refuses to participate in the new investigation will be publicly named and face a possible ban from HC. I don’t think that precludes playing in the NHL, but it would prevent them from ever representing Team Canada. NHL might also decide to reciprocate, if only for PR purposes.

1 Like

He just got another suspension bump, now with comprehensive restrictions in place. Still no sanctions against his wife at this time.

3 Likes

Christopher Fellers, son of Richard and Shelley Fellers, has been suspended by SafeSport, with significant restrictions, apparently due to his involvement in the ongoing case that his parents are both involved in, as well as his own individual misconduct.

8 Likes

While it’s quite possible his suspension is related to his parents, he was suspended for several things including intimate relationship—involving a power relationship. We don’t actually know whether these suspensions are directly connected or not

Chronicle of the Horse articleLink

The failure to report is most likely tied to his parent’s charges and the abuse of process is likely tied to their charges as well, as he may have worked in conjunction with his parents to threaten or harass other victims/potential claimants against his parents. The intimate relationship and physical misconduct could just be the result of his own personal conduct with one of the many attractive young women who have worked there as young adults, as he is of the right age to have been likely to indulge in relations with one or more of them.

1 Like

Sam Berry, of Finally Home Farm (H/J) in Kentucky, has been suspended for allegations of misconduct and is being investigated.

Manuel Torres, Colombian athlete and trainer who migrated to Murica and father of Andrea Torres, is now being sanctioned with restrictions, to keep him from interacting with others.

4 Likes

I’m not as familiar with the ins and outs of SafeSports as you, but I noticed this morning that Manuel used to be on the USEF list, now is not. but on the main SafeSports database he is listed and I see the updates. Is it typical for the USEF website list to lag behind?

Manuel is currently only under restrictions for contact and supervision, so he will be put on the “Restricted” list at the bottom of the USEF Safe Sport sanction page, which will hopefully be updated in short order. It can take 2-4 days, on average, for the USEF website to be updated, unless something is prepared beforehand.

3 Likes

Has anyone viewed the sickening mysafesportstory.net blog?

1 Like

Oh my. Not until now. It took me a while to realize this was one man saying that all these accusers were lying about him and proclaims his innocence. I kept thinking it was a place where several people posted. Hoo boy.

I don’t think his blog has the effect he seems to be seeking. :woman_facepalming:t3:

6 Likes

Ugh. Almost wish I hadn’t read that.

I had to sort of speed read once I realized what I was reading. So many victims. So much denial. So many demands for his accusers to take a lie detector test.

9 Likes