Unlimited access >

Perplexing head bob to the left with nothing showing up in vet checks

Wondering if anyone has encountered something similar or if you have ideas - I am perplexed.
I’ve had my gelding for 3 years, was vet checked and came out with nice X-rays, no prior injury. He did have a strange head bob off and on to the left - clearly in front - seller said it was how I was riding him, (I was weak and not in training) My Vet did a lameness evaluation and he passed it perfectly. Clean X-rays too.
After some work, that head bob went away after I got him. He’s now 12 years old and we’ve done a season of low level hunters, some trails, etc. regular lessons, no over-jumping, some dressage… all low level.

History before I bought him: Terrible feet when I got him, like wet cardboard, couldn’t hold a shoe and as a result they were trimmed too small. With a change in diet his feet evolved significantly in year one, more tweaks and he had lovely solid feet as of year two ownership - hasn’t lost a shoe in over a year. BUT, I’m sure they suffered before they were fixed. He has thin soles as well, so he is padded most of the year.

A year and a half ago, he ran around on ice, bruised both front feet and was visibly lame, also upon X-ray of front feet showed mild low ringbone, mainly in the right. Coffins were injected, a month of previcox and back to work and he was awesome. Pads and equipak added at that time. He went great until summer and our first show season, started that head bob to the left. A month of previcox suggested by vet - it went away and didn’t come back until… this Spring. I had been hardening up his feet and thought it would be ok without pads but I was wrong (yes I feel bad) I hadn’t put pads on yet, and he ran pretty hard at our first show - came up sore. Had him vet checked - trotted on hard and soft ground two days after the show - he looked amazing. As a preventive we injected his coffin joints as its at the 8 month mark and maybe it would help…
I also thought he had bruised both fronts again - so rested him for the last month with turnout. The heat in his front hooves went away, was hotter in the left. Both feel good now, and Ive had a couple of lovely light rides.
BUT I lunged him and there it is!! He has a slight bob going to the left on a circle - very slight. And I sent a video to my vet and she saw that it appeared to be his front right… but he goes smoothly and freely to the right? Isn’t that counter to what should be happening?

IF the ringbone has progressed from when the X-rays were last done two years ago and it was in his right, what is showing up when he goes left? There’s nothing showing up when he goes right. Nothing shows up in straight lines, leads, or anywhere else… just going left on a circle.

His massage therapist also finds him much stiffer and resistant on his left side - not his back, but his shoulder and glutes.

I also recently learned he has deep sulcus thrush - his left is much deeper than the right. This has likely been there a while and I admit I didn’t even know it wasn’t normal that he had a cleft in his heels… I didn’t know what was hiding in there. I am treating it daily and have been for the last week. I’m not sure how long this has been festering there. But apparently it can cause a horse to be sore. It’s only in his front feet.

I am going to have new xrays done on the fronts to check if there is some progression… but I am perplexed and so far the vets can’t figure it out really. The mysterious left bob?

The sulcus thrush on the left could very well be the cause of the left head bob are seeing. I would clear that up and see what you have before getting x-rays. BTDT with my driving mini. I had a lame mini and upon investigation found some deep sulcus thrush. I got it cleaned up and he came sound.

2 Likes

Inside of the RF would show up more going to the left.

I have a horse that presented similarly except the head bob was to the right. We were not nearly as exhaustive as you seem to have been in trying to get to the bottom of your situation although we tried to do a lot of common sense things to rule possibilities in or out. In the end, I do believe it was the way he was ridden - he was ridden primarily and nearly exclusively by my daughter, and I believe she trained the head bob into him - it showed up tracking right when he was on the bit (as opposed to on a loose rein), and only on circles. He also has a permanent spur rub on his right side. Huh.

In hindsight (great but expensive teacher that it is), I believe saddle fit was also part of the reason he was stiffer to the right. He has a flat RF foot which in turns impacts the symmetry of his shoulders, and I think the saddles he was ridden in for years did not have sufficient clearance in the area of the tree points.

Horse is now completely retired, but his head bob became very minimal after a few years mostly off. However, by then the hind end problems that probably also were exacerbated by poor saddle fit had started escalating.

1 Like

Neck pain can cause lameness. If the feet and legs are good, look at the neck.

1 Like

Have you blocked up the leg?

There’s a bunch of soft tissue in the hoof capsule itself that can cause lameness and can really only be seen with MRI. If he blocks to the hoof, and radiographs are clear, MRI would be a good next step.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Video would help. Not to discredit what you’re seeing – are. you sure he’s bobbing UP from a front foot landing vs. DOWN when a hind is hitting the ground?

Have you watched him trot away from you, from directly from behind? Checking to see if there’s a hip hike?
Does he paddle with a hind limb, and if so, in or out?

I agree that you should make sure that you’re not just concentrating on the front end. When my horse was lame in the rear, he had a slight head bob.

This is also a good point as I recently went through this with a horse that has an injury to soft tissue in the hoof capsule. He had an intermittent, or not glaringly obvious head bob that was worse to one direction.

I’d definitely suspect soft tissue injury. They can come and go and unless they are bad, won’t always show up on an x-ray. Blocks and ultrasounds may be needed.

A lot of times injuries lead to compensation and injuries elsewhere. It could be that you’ve had a separate issue some where else that eventually caused the head bob left.

My guess is you have a couple of things going on that are low-grade but chronic. I’d have a good lameness vet out to check him – and have your farrier do some tests too. It could be in his feet still.

I don’t know if you have him on any supplements or injections? It may be enough to make him more comfortable.

Sorry about your mystery! keep us posted!

1 Like

Wow, thank-you all - the vet is coming out tomorrow and we’re going to have a closer look - @Sansena it is definitely possible that the head bob I’m seeing is elsewhere. I have a response from another vet on the video I sent and she also sees front right and left hind. We have been concentrating on the front exclusively when looking at the left bob he’s had for so long… off and on… these comments are really providing some helpful perspective, re: other areas, back end, and also neck was mentioned… seems like a bit of a domino effect when I stand back and look at it… one thing causing another to pop up, probably over time. - hopefully something clearer comes up tomorrow. There’s also the issue of heroic efforts and cost… so once I’ve done xrays, and ultrasound and likely some inflammation management… I don’t think MRI is ever happening. although I’m sure it’s helpful.

To attempt to rule out back pain, put hoss on a course of Robaxin with low dose banamine for 3 days.

Have you done any NSAIDs to see if it helps? Tested for Lyme? Both good diagnostic procedures that don’t cost a ton.

You up may have answered this is your first post. Sorry if I’m being redundant.