Unlimited access >

Personal Experience with " spaying mare"

Hello,
I am writing a paper for my ag communication class on the possibility of laparoscopic ovariectomy or controlled ovarian infraction, essentially “spaying mares”, as a mean for controlling horse overpopulation.
I was wondering if anyone’s mare has had either procedure and how the experience went.
If anyone is willing to do a phone interview, I would love to hear your experiences.
I would have to record the conversation for school purposes.
Also my professor would possibly contact you to verify source.
Thank you.
Taylor Bennett
University of Florida undergraduate
Animal Science major

Funny, I just posted in Horse Care that I am spaying my mare in 2 weeks. If you can wait a few weeks for the info, I’d be happy to let you know how it goes.

I have spayed a few mares during my career. While they have all recovered fully, each mare was/is an individual and the recovery period was different for each one regarding ease, time to heal, and time to return to work. As a veterinarian who has thousands and that’s 10s of 1000s sterilization procedures under her belt (I have been in shelter medicine for the last 7 years) I do not believe that spaying mares to control overpopulation to be practical and I’m speaking on the technical side, the animal side and as a horse owner.

Hi Taylor, I used to work for an equine surgeon and assisted in many of these procedures. We primarily turned to this option for mares who had extreme cycles that affected their abilities to be performance horses and not as a means of population control. We also did it on a pony my trainer had that I rode frequently, so I have some additional experience with that mare pre and post op. Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help.