Unlimited access >

Pesky ponies and my torn ligament...

So, long story short, on May 1st I had an accident on one of my school Haflingers. He spooked from a bee sting, I flew up, my ankle went thru my stirrup, and got yanked on the way back down. I went to a walk-in clinic, where they proceeded to say that it was a mild sprain, and gave me a stiff ankle support. About 2.5 wks later, with no change in mobility or pain, I decided to go to a sports medicine doctor. He discovered that I have a slightly torn deltoid ligament, and put me into PT for 1 month, just to see if it would repair itself without further need to have surgery. It has been about a month since the accident, and I am now in more overall ankle pain than the ligament caused. I am sure that all of my ligaments and joints are stiff because of my limited movement for the past 4 weeks, but with PT, my Achilles tendon and the whole ankle hurts, rather than just the deltoid region.
I was diagnosed with arthritis when I was 12 in both of my ankles and knees, and the recent XRAYS also discovered that I have an extra bone in my R ankle (the injured one), which they said may be the result for most of my previous pain. With 3 sessions of PT left, I feel like I am no where near up to par for regular activities. I am a f/t college student, f/t restaurant manager, ride 3-4 x/week on an “interesting” assortment of ponies and horses, and actively participate in a therapeutic riding center’s program that involves a lot of riding and a lot of walking.
Over the past two weeks, I have gained back some mobility. I am able to walk up stairs (my house has 3 floors, so it’s essential!) with mild-moderate pain in the top of my ankle, but I cannot walk down stairs. It feels like that same top spot that hurts when I walk up prevents my ankle from properly flexing enough to push off of when going down. Walking is okay, but hurts more when I have to stand for 3+ minutes. My PT has had me do balance exercises (standing on my R leg), which I cannot hold for more than 30 seconds without my ankle screaming.
It is hard for me to now separate the damage/pain from the accident, my arthritis, my extra bone, and now the extra pain I am getting from the PT. What I am looking for is ideas/suggestions on where to start from; exercises, joint/pain supplements, etc. I was also referred to a horse trainer in MA that works with PT, but I lost her contact information. I ride mostly Jumpers and was in the process of re-training for eventing. I have multiple previous injuries from training my OTTB (now retired) (2 slipped discs, 3 “healed” bulged discs, cracked ribs, concussions, ankle chips from wall slams, knee cap chips, etc.) that trainers refuse to work with me.
So, again, sorry for the “long story short”, but I need help. I severely miss my horses, and being stuck home not being able to do anything is slowly killing me. I really do not want to do surgery for a repair that I am not sure that I need, but the overall ankle pain is a terrible! And I have no clue where to start! Help! :frowning:

I’m really sorry. It sounds like surgery could at least remove the extra bone, but I’m the current record holder for failed surgeries so you might not want to take my advice. :wink:
I know what it’s like to not to be able to ride due to pain so feel free to rant. It’s cathartic.

Having so many injuries/ailments that you don’t know where to start is awful, and incredibly frustrating. As GotGait said, feel free to rant.

I had a bad fall towards the end of April myself, with a nice assortment of injuries on top of some chronic issues as well. A month out of the saddle seems like an eternity this time of year. I feel like I just flushed all my summer riding plans down the toilet. Maybe tomorrow I’ll feel well enough to get on my older mare and walk around a little bit for the first time since my accident. Or not :stuck_out_tongue:

So lots of sympathy and commiseration, but my only real advice is to be very clear with your doctor about just how much pain you’re in, and what is and isn’t working for you. Keep making appointments and asking questions until you feel you’ve gotten the answers you need. Hopefully you get some relief soon. Good luck.

Welcome to the Trashed Knee & Ankle Brigade. Feel free to rant & commiserate, you’ve got plenty of company. At least you’ve got a good story, I broke my ankle walking and I don’t lie well enough to come up with something more entertaining.

I’ve found that everyone and their brother is now advertising ‘sports medicine’. My pain managment guy supposedly does sports medicine. He has a much better handle on pharmaceticals than ankles. :slight_smile: Find a good foot & ankle guy. The best thing I ever did was a road trip to Mercy Hospital in Baltimore. Even if you had to do an overnight trip, it would probably be worth it. They are used to dealing with out of towners and will work with local docs too. It sounds like you’re in New England, if one of the guys on this list is closer, I’d go see him.

http://www.orthocarolina.com/uploads/file/Orthopedics%20This%20Week%20-%20Extremities.pdf

I’ve been where you are, although the rest of my body isn’t quite as banged up, I’ve even got a 3 story house to. At some point, you quit worrying which event/injury caused the pain. Especially since you sound like your reasonalby young, I would skip herbs and exercises and find a REALLY SMART ankle guy.

The doc I have now works for one guy on the top 23 and studied under another. Having been through several doctors, it really does make a difference.