Unlimited access >

Pet transportation (puppy)/ pet flight nannies

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cross country pet transport service? Either ground or flights?

Contact a dog breeder for recommendations or ask your vet. Usually breeders only provide for their own puppies, but one never knows with all the pandemic changes.

1 Like

Most rescues also have transport contacts all over the place. I’ve done tons of transports over the years. Where does it need to go from and to?

There’s tons of discussions on FB regarding transport- Seems to be a network of paid and volunteers depending on who needs it.
Are you dealing with a breeder or rescue/shelter?

Adoption puppy from Wisconsin to Louisiana. I have not found anyone on facebook I would consider reputable. A few sketchy companies have contacted me, but based on their google reviews, I would not use them. Hence why I am asking for recommendations.

1 Like

Yeah a lot of those are shady. Find a rescue group that you feel comfortable with and see if they have any transports headed that way… usually they are volunteers and are thrilled to get a gas card

I believe most larger rescues now pay a ground transport service rather than the volunteer driver network. So I would call a reputable rescue and see if they can recommend a transport service - check larger breed rescues in the area.

Realistically, it makes me wonder if makes sense to transport a single pet puppy that far; are there no other potential homes that are closer? For a rescue, this seems to be an expense that is hard to justify.

I just got a puppy that needed a 17 hour drive, but those puppies were a) not cheap and b) placed in specific homes for specific reasons. The breeder delivered (4 puppies to the east coast, picked up in a central location), which is not very common; and it was certainly reflected in the price.

They are not paying for it, I am. There are probably plenty of homes good for her closer but I applied and want her :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s why we use volunteers. The adoption fees for the dogs aren’t enough to pay.
So there are networks of volunteers , each one does a 2-3 hour leg til
The animals get where they are going.

1 Like

I get it; I was one of those volunteers 20 years ago, and got guilted into many trips I didn’t want to make because “we have everyone except point J- point Q…please please please or this dog will never meet his forever family!!!” If one leg drops out, the entire transport is screwed.

That’s why I know a lot of breed rescues just don’t do it anymore - at least not for long trips. Maybe some shorter trips that could be done with a few legs of a trip rather than 15 people and hope no one has a family emergency or an important work event.

This must be really frustrating - thinking outside the box - have you contacted vets, rescues, breeders for possible transportation - horse haulers - from both points Wisconsin and Louisiana ? I know you most likely have - any big events (horse, dog shows…) coming to your home location soon ?
Jingles a ride appears … keep asking around.

Maybe 20 years ago.
We are still doing it today and I have only experienced that happening as you describe twice. Both times the pet spent the night with the last person and got on another transport within a day or so.
No one guilt you into anything if you don’t let them.
Anyway, I was just suggesting another option to the Op in case she wasn’t aware. So whatever.

1 Like

LOL Maybe 20 years ago what?

It is true that there are better ways to network than there were 20 years ago, but the point was that many of the larger national breed rescue organizations find it easier and more reliable to use a paid transport than to use volunteers. So, the OP might find a reputable transport carrier by calling a national breed rescue.

No need for a lecture on guilt either. :roll_eyes: My name was shared with other rescues and I did a lot of transports, but honestly, no one really wants to spend a whole day every weekend driving the Thruway for free. Which is why the larger rescues with deeper pockets pay for the transport and use their volunteers for fostering and other things that are hard to pay a service to get.

As @Busy said above, in case you’re not aware but many horse transport companies will also haul
puppies/dogs if they’re on their route.
So I’d be calling them and ask. Who are the major haulers in your area? It helps if you’re near a
racetrack or training track.

1 Like

There are people in the long-haul trucking industry that transport pets. A friend in SC got her dog that way from the breeder up north. The trucker was on his way to Atlanta and she met him in Chattanooga to get her pup.

My understanding is that it was far, far cheaper than transport by air or other means. Not sure how you would go about finding those folks though. In my friend’s case, I believe the breeder had set things up.

Forgot to add that a quick Google search turned up these folks. Don’t know anything about them though other than what is on their website.

And there are some recommendations on this site.

1 Like

I was replying to the person who said they used to do transports 20 years ago and had all sorts of problems. I’m still not very adept with this new format etc
With the advent of the internet and cell phones and texting, it’s much easier to deal with issues with the transport, should any arise…

1 Like

Did you get your puppy home ? I hope so and of course we would all like to see a picture - please.

1 Like