Unlimited access >

Peter Horobin Jumping Saddle Education

Hello all!
I am new to researching PH saddles and have watched a ton of videos. However, I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer for me! I am in contact with a saddle fitter that carries PH and will likely answer many questions but to be frank I’m impatient and want all of the information asap haha.

I have two questions:

1. When did the adjustable gullet system come into play for PH?
    I’m seeing a lot of posts on a used PH saddle site that say “saddle for sale because it no longer fits my horse”, and my understanding was that one of the major selling points for PH today is that they were gullet adjustable, so I am confused on how it could not fit a horse anymore considering it can be gullet or flocking adjusted.

2. I was hoping someone could fill me in on what exactly the difference is between the SF Kanga, and the SF Melbourne II aside from the fact that the Kanga is skirtless. I’ve watched a ton of videos of explanations of features on the saddles yet am failing to grasp what the real difference is.

According to the videos both have:
-slightly forward flap cut at baseline (although this is customizable if ordering new)
-adjustable blocks
-adjustable gullet
-narrow twist

What was not discussed in any of the videos is:
-seat depth
-any other differences other than the Kanga being skirtless.

Thank you in advance!
Lauren

I have no experience with this particular brand, but have had adjustable Pessoa saddles in the past.

Adjusting the gullet size and flocking does not change the shape of the tree. You can’t make a saddle with a banana shaped tree fit a flat backed horse.

Good luck with your saddle shopping.

1 Like

Hi! I have the Peter Horobin Melbourne II so I can maybe help answer some of your questions.

The saddle does not have an adjustable gullet in the way that a wintec would. The saddle can only be adjusted by one of their trained saddle fitters, they have a machine that changes the shape of the tree. And of course, since it is wool, in can be reflocked.

As far as the differences in the 2 jump saddles. I tried both and my impressions were that the Kanga had a much closer feel and narrower twist than the Melbourne. The Melbourne felt like it had a deeper seat. Coming from a Tad Coffin I much preferred the Kanga, but my horse preferred the Melbourne and the horse won :slight_smile:

1 Like