Unlimited access >

Petition for a new division at USEF rated horse shows?

Hey guys, I’m not sure how I would go about doing this or if its even possible but i would like some thoughts or input of petitioning USEF to add some type of “handicap” division for horses or riders that can not show in what they would normally.

Class would be open to anyone as far as junior, amateur or professional with some type of written proof as to why they can’t show in a regular division. And any horse or pony for the same reason.

Ex. My horse was off for 3 years due to sickness that kept going misdiagnosed and has left him very nervous off property. He has shown prior and was always a superstar but is now a totally different horse. No way can I just throw him into a show jumping a 3’6" course like classes open to professionals.(I recently lost my amateur status)
Or what a out someone who had back surgery or a disease/injury that has left them not able to jump as high or ride as well as they used to.

Any thoughts/input or info would be appreciated!
Anyone else in a similar situation with their horse?

Why can’t people in that situation just do a smaller open class? There are tons of them all the way down to as low as .9m or .85m at some shows…

There are tons of classes out there.

The open hunter classes start at 2’6 and go up from there. I have seen many horses and riders in it that are coming back from an injury, returning to riding after having a baby, etc. In Texas they are pretty popular and are always full of ammies and pros. No one has to justify why they want to show in those divisions, you just sign up.

Yeah- nothing special for the horse. Start him back at schooling shows in hack classes until you regain his training and confidence - then start him back in a smaller open division. No reason to start a new division there.

However, the FEI has a whole discipline for para-dressage - with a grading scale due to severity of disability and requires an exam and grading by a physician. I could see a place for a similar type division if there were enough people with interest.

Yea but are those classes open to anyone or just amateurs?

[QUOTE=MajorExpectations;7092784]
Yea but are those classes open to anyone or just amateurs?[/QUOTE]

The open height specific classes are open to anyone. Otherwise it will specify amateur or junior only.

The vast majority of them are open to everyone.

I just don’t see a need to make a division for people who aren’t where they want to be… in that case, you might as well make a hunter division and call it the “7 jumps to count” division, rider gets to choose which fence will not be judged after completion of the course. That would get a lot of entries ;).

Schooling shows I have been to dont typically distinguish between Ammy and pro. They use the old “have not won 3 blue ribbons” (hoping to shame pros from showing against true ammys) I know some trainers who could still show in that but I digress.

USEF has plenty of classes to show in not 3’6. I’d go the schooling show route.

Thanks everyone!

I agree with others that there are plenty of classes already perfect for something like this, so no need for more. OP, you do not say if your horse is a hunter or jumper. If it’s a jumper, show in one of the leveled classes (level 0 etc.) These are open to any horse and rider combination. If it’s a hunter, there are always 2’6, 3’, even 2’ sometimes, open hunter divisions like schooling hunter or hopeful hunter that are similarly open to everyone. Making a “handicap” division for people and horses that used to do more seems superfluous to me. It doesn’t matter what you used to do; just read the prizelist & pick a class you are eligible for now. People step up and then go back down for a myriad of reasons. No justification necessary!

[QUOTE=MajorExpectations;7092739]
Hey guys, I’m not sure how I would go about doing this or if its even possible but i would like some thoughts or input of petitioning USEF to add some type of “handicap” division for horses or riders that can not show in what they would normally.

Ex. My horse was off for 3 years … No way can I just throw him into a show jumping a 3’6" course like classes open to professionals.(I recently lost my amateur status)
Or what a out someone who had back surgery or a disease/injury that has left them not able to jump as high or ride as well as they used to. [/QUOTE]

Most USEF shows I have been to have classes, under USEF rules (JP 119), at lower heights open to all (pro, ammys, jrs, etc).

To answer the title question, I have two suggestions

1- Encourage show managers to OFFER the lower height “open” divisions under current JP 119

2- If you really think a rule change is needed (bearing in mind that just because the USEF provides rules for a “new” division, there is no guarantee the shows will offer it), you should contact someone at USHJA, as most successful h/j related rules changes come to USEF through USHJA, not directly from members.

Personally, when I have had a “rehabbing” horse (or am rehabbing myself) needing “mileage”, I genrally go to the local unrecognized shows. Depending on hwere you are, that might or might not be an option.

No, please not another division split 4 ways by age and height. It seems that there needs to be a division for everyone these days so that everyone can get to go home with a blue ribbon! What happened to being competitive??? I would feel so much more accomplishment placing 6th in a class of 35 than 1st in a class of 5. There are plenty of open 2’6’’ divisions at the shows I attend where you could compete your horse. Or, even better, why not attend some local shows or schooling shows??

[QUOTE=supershorty628;7092793]
The vast majority of them are open to everyone.

I just don’t see a need to make a division for people who aren’t where they want to be… in that case, you might as well make a hunter division and call it the “7 jumps to count” division, rider gets to choose which fence will not be judged after completion of the course. That would get a lot of entries ;).[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, I love this idea!

What would be the proof of handicap? Should all entrants include a doctor’s and/or vet’s note so the judge can verify they are actually handicapped? Or does Sally Amateur get to enter as well, saying, oh I sprained my ankle and the chiropractor says I have a bad back, and my horse was lame once :wink:

Anyway, let’s look at the schedule for Vermont this week… divisions a pro can do with an non 3’6 horse include: Schooling Hunter 2’6, Low Hunter 3’, Performance Hunter 3’3. Kentucky is also going on this week… lower classes include: Special Working Hunter 2’6, Low Working Hunter 2’6-3’, Performance Hunter 3’3. Not only do the big shows have these classes, but I’m pretty sure every local/schooling show I’ve been to has open 2’6 and 3’ divisions. There are plenty of options without doing the 3’6.

[QUOTE=iEquitate;7094424]

Anyway, let’s look at the schedule for Vermont this week… divisions a pro can do with an non 3’6 horse include: Schooling Hunter 2’6, Low Hunter 3’, Performance Hunter 3’3. Kentucky is also going on this week… lower classes include: Special Working Hunter 2’6, Low Working Hunter 2’6-3’, Performance Hunter 3’3. Not only do the big shows have these classes, but I’m pretty sure every local/schooling show I’ve been to has open 2’6 and 3’ divisions. There are plenty of options without doing the 3’6.[/QUOTE]

The OP DID say Show Jumping.

[QUOTE=Janet;7094446]
The OP DID say Show Jumping.[/QUOTE]

She said show jumping. Different than Show Jumping.

Reread her complete sentence: No way can I just throw him into a show jumping a 3’6" course like classes open to professionals.

The last show I attended had .75, .85, .90 and 1.0m jumpers. They also had low open hunters at 2’6 and 3’. I don’t think I’ve ever attended a show in the last five/ten years in which the open classes began at 3’6.

I would love to be able to take my 1.30m horse and my baby ottb to the same show. Would be happy to ride in the open classes. However, if I work wed and thurs, there are no more open lower level hunter classes to do on fri, sat, sun. I have to go to the A shows if I want to ride 1.30 on fri and sun, but the lowest height hunter class I am then qualified for during those days is the 3’3" a/o’s. I am not complaining. I feel very fortunate, and this is not a bad dilemma to have. But, I do feel lower level open hunter classes would be popular on weekends. I guess there are only so many hours in the day, though.

At Atlanta summer classic I and II which is a pretty big show, there were blue red nonrestricted divisions for 2’3", 2’6", 2’9", 3’, and 3’3". I’m not sure what more you could ask for.