Unlimited access >

Phone pockets in breeches

Ooomph. Thought I was replying to @Indy, about the Free Ride hybrid lux. Sorry for the confusion!

1 Like

If you reply to the post directly above yours (so the current last post of the thread), this format does not put any indication on your post that you used reply to that post. It is one of those weird things that someone decided was not necessary somewhere during software development.

In other words, you probably did reply to that post, it just did not show.

3 Likes

They’re stretchy like workout leggings but a more substantial material (not spandex-y) and they’re definitely not sheer. It’s almost got a compression material feel, without being suffocating. I don’t really care about panty lines myself but I also didn’t notice anything super egregious when I gave myself a once-over in the mirror - also I got them in navy, so the dark color hides a lot of sins. The waist on them is much higher than a lot of breeches so there’s no concern about bending over and showing off anything to anyone. They sit at your higher natural waist, not down at your hips.

I will say they seem to run a hair on the smaller side so if you’re on the fence about which size to go with, go up. And they’re long. I’m super short, but these were still a few inches longer than breeches normally are on me. So if you’re short be prepared to cuff them up - but also the sock bottom is thin enough that it’s not annoying.

1 Like

I can’t ride without my phone anymore - I’d like to say the #1 reason is because of the safety (BTDT, got stranded 3 miles from home without a cell phone before!), but it’s also because my phone has a ride-tracking app and I love being able to look at what I’ve done in the last week and month. It’s really incentivized my riding in a good way. It’s opened my eyes to some patterns I’m guilty of doing, like giving my horse a way easier workout than I should be for someone that is competing and doing a lot of distance work. For instance, I have a trend of only schooling about 20m of dressage in a school day… That’s fine for a greenbean but for progressing up the levels, I really need to buckle down and do more than 3m of cantering if I want to improve my dressage scores! Lol.

An added plus is I can listen to music… and snap photos of wildlife and sunsets while we’re on hacks.

5 Likes

Kerrits makes several styles with good phone pockets and those are particularly my go-to for winter weight tights. I just recently bought a couple pairs of Irideon “Bending Line” tights that have great pockets and I’m a big fan of the overall fit and quality.

I loved the silicone Hadley. I was looking forward to getting more this year and they never came back.

These have been comparable, I just got the fleece version:

I’ll echo all the other posts about Kerrits. They’re all I wear anymore. Phone fits in the thigh pocket perfectly (plenty of room) and I forget it’s there. Very guilty of looking for my phone when it’s stuck to the side of my thigh in my Kerrits.

1 Like

I use a fanny pack in the summer. My phone is in an Otter case and slipped out of my Fitts riding tights once so I don’t trust the pocket when out on the trail by my self. It’s a safety thing. Same reason I have a shoe tag identification and a bridle tag with phone numbers for the mare.

I used to trail ride a lot, and found a pack that carries my phone & car keys that I could wear on my ankle.
I do wonder about the pockets on breeches - how securely do they hold a phone, and are they located at a place on a rider’s anatomy that will be first to impact the ground if s/he parts company with the horse.

The back pockets on the Hadley breeches have zippers, and are big enough I can zip over my phone which has a bulky Otterbox case.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/hadley-midrise-breeches-by-smartpak--knee-patch-14691

1 Like

A few years ago I got some Iridion riding tights off EBay that have held up well and cost around$60. Also Horseware riding tights have good side pockets for cellphones. Both are good, heavy material, not thin like yoga tights. I actually use them for yoga too tho.

I’m like you. I’m someone who is not tied to the phone, especially at the barn. It sits in my car.

THAT said, I normally ride in the arena and sometimes adjacent pastures. If before feeding, then someone WILL see me at feeding time - they have to walk by the arena. If after feeding, I always leave barn lights on and arena lights if it is not summer. The arena lights are freakishly bright and neighbors will complain if they’re on for a length of time into the night. I rarely go off the property alone.

I house/barn sit a lot for them and if I’m the only one on the property, I bring my phone to the arena but don’t wear it. I’m paranoid that it would break if I fell on it. I text a friend living close by when I get on and then text when I get off. They will call me if I don’t text back in an hour and a half or so, and come by if I don’t answer the phone just in case. That gives me amazing peace of mind.

(The Amityville Horror…Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!)

I love my Performa Ride full seat tights- they have the perfect phone pocket. I am usually the only one at my barn when I’m there and I’m almost always riding alone and on the trails, so I 100% have it on me even if I’m just feeding etc. To me I see it as a piece of safety equipment, I don’t get on without a helmet or my phone

I’ll second (third?) Free Ride. I have a few pairs of the Lux and Define tights and they’re pretty great. I like the Lux fabric/cut better, but the Define has a pocket on each side rather than a single split one which works a lot better for my packrat self.

On the more budget friendly end, I’m a big fan of HR Farms tights. I think they run +/- $40 on Amazon, have a perfect phone pocket, and they’ve held up surprisingly well. They actually feel like a less compression-y version of the leggings my Lululemon employed friend gave me (which is either a great endorsement of HRF tights or a hefty side eye at the production costs of Lulu stuff, lol.)

1 Like

I ride in a road hazard vest (mesh. No heat in summer) in bright orange. It has a couple pockets that hold my phone and treats, stays with me if I fall, and warns bicyclist “Please Pass Slowly and Wide”.

1 Like

Just coming back to report that I picked up two pairs of Free Ride Lux breeches based on this thread, and I am in love. They have replaced the Ariat EOS as my favourite riding tights. The material is so lightweight, but actually holds you in, and they look and feel awesome.

1 Like

They’re on sale on their website. $80 instead of $85

Reporting back. It’s been 3 and a half weeks since I landed on my phone and my thigh is still affected. Numb in one area and fiery pain right where the phone was. I’ve decided not to ride with the phone on me any more, partly also because I talked to someone who had theirs on their upper body and broke 3 ribs when falling on it!

1 Like

i have a bunch of good old used Dooney and Bourke and old Coach bags that i got off of poshmark and have attached one to the pommel Ds of each of my saddes. Most of them are small bags 4x7ish. Inside i keep my cell and training treats.

This works great until you and the horse part ways and the horse goes off on an adventure, with your phone, without you.

4 Likes