Phrenic Nerve Pain After Laparoscopic Surgery?

Any hints on how to deal with this? Surgery was a breeze but this is awful. Can’t imagine riding like this if it doesn’t go away. Reading indicates relief is unpredictable as I am having more than just shoulder pain from it. Wonder if they dropped me?!!!

From what I’ve heard the phrenic nerve can be irritated by the gas they pump in to keep the organs apart during surgery. The pain should resolve in a few days, a few weeks at most.

What grayarab said. It’s displaced pain from irritated nerve. It will go away as nerve calms down but I remember how uncomfortable it was even tho years ago! Hope u feel better soon.

Thought I would update - a good nights sleep on a big dose of valium helped a lot… Am at least 50% better and hoping one more night of good sleep will fix me right up. Sure wasn’t where I was expecting to hurt!

Great that you’re feeling better! :slight_smile:

It has taken me up to 5 days for that pain to pass…that can be unbearable. If the surgeon does fully de-flate the ABD after the case, some Carbon Dioxide can me left in the ABD. Some is going to be left anyways. Your body absorbs it and it gets expelled…the pressure on the Phrenic nerve hurts like hades…everyone is different. The doctors here pts complain of it, but unless they have been through it, they have no idea how bad it can be.