Physical Therapy or Chiropractor?

Please tell me to move this if it’s in the wrong place.

I have several sports related injuries (swimming injury in my left shoulder, fell hard on my right shoulder, and a creaky, poppy hip) which flare up when I school over fences.
I’ve done physical therapy for the injured left shoulder, but it never came back 100% and hurts if I give a big release or get the horse cracks their back over the jump. I’m leaning towards chiropractic work since it’s basically my entire torso and hip that’s busted, so I wonder if my body is just out of wack entirely.

Should I look into physical therapy or go see a chiropractor? Experiences with chiropractic work?

My PT mixes in chiro stuff.:slight_smile:

I was unimpressed when I did go to a chiro. He was an idiot who claimed docs were the root of ills & that basically he could fix anything. More or less glossed over the actual physical defects and damage. Sorry but chiro isn’t going to fix torn ligaments or tendons. Idiot.

Chiros are like dentists. There are good ones & bad ones and it’s a challenge telling them apart before you get there.

yeah, my PT kept trying to get me to let their chiro-type person work on me. so that practice, at least, had both on staff. what does your orthopedist say?

I haven’t seen anyone for my injuries with the exception of physical therapy for my left shoulder 8 years ago- we were trying to get my swimming career back. :no:

I also have no insurance coverage where I live currently (literally only covers 1 hospital), so I can’t go running to every doctor to get recommendations, unless I want to see a bunch when I am back home for a week. Just trying to decide which is more beneficial for the time being for my comfort for the time being, until I live in a place where I have consistent medical coverage.

hmm, where i am, you can’t get PT w/o an Rx from a MD…

I’ve used several massage therapists to correct my body issues. You have to look for deep tissue, therapeutic massage therapist. Not “fluff and buff” spa type. (If it doesn’t hurt while their working on you, it’s not going to do any good). I found my latest at an acupuncturist’s office. A good massage therapist can tell if your spine is out of alignment and should be able to recommend a chiropractor who’s not a quack if you need one. I now go every other week to keep things from falling apart and I’m doing pretty good.

By the way, my shoulder pain didn’t come from my shoulder. It came from trigger points in the front of my neck. Traditional PT just made it worse.

In some states, you can have PT w/o a prescription.

DH has had bad experiences with chiros and found he preferred massage therapists. I found I prefer PT over chiro but PT is only effective with certain ones. I’ve seen 6 PTs in the last decade for lower limb and joint rehabilitation. 2 have been effective and they didn’t just order exercise after exercise but looked at everything above and below the main complaint to find the problem.

Example: My left foot swings out in the saddle, I previously did something to it 10 years ago in a sledding accident. I saw an osteo then and a separate one to see if it was structural but scans showed nothing. The PTs then just had me do a bunch of balance exercises, no e-stem, little manipulation, no ultrasound, no massage, etc. I was able to get back to riding but couldn’t play soccer anymore. Now I’m seeing one now who is doing everything, she recognizes that I have plenty of mobility and balance but it’s the loose tendons and ligaments around the joint and then compensation way up in my hip that’s a problem and is addressing the whole system of joints. (the other good PT was for tendonitis in both knees, again a bunch of different approaches in the appointments to get me back out there)

[QUOTE=charismaryllis;8205907]
hmm, where i am, you can’t get PT w/o an Rx from a MD…[/QUOTE]

Check again, all states now have some form of direct access for PT. There may be restriction if you are currently under a physicians care for a specific injury.

Mine can work on my left foot w/o a script, but not my right one because I’ve seen a doc about the right one in the last 6 months.

Jherold - try a different PT, mine does wonders for trigger points. Not always fun at the time, but a day or so later -:slight_smile:

I would recommend PT. Make sure that when you have your first appointment you are comfortable with whomever is your PT and that they take the time to talk to you about it.

I broke my ankle and got a physical therapist that I really admired and worked well with. A few months later after a second surgery I got a different therapist and she didn’t listen to what I had to say or explain why she was doing certain things.

I would definitely give PT a try but if you don’t like the therapist you have I wouldn’t give up on PT entirely, just try someone else.

I’ll look into PT again. It was a frustrating experience when I tried to rehab my shoulder in PT (granted, I was also 14 and stubborn), and I remember crying from pain and soreness. They just had me do exercises to strengthen whatever it was that was injured, but, then again, it was at a less than subpar hospital so who knows.

I don’t really care if the shoulder gets free-style/backstroke/butterfly sound, but would like it to stop hurting during/after I jump/a horse yanks his head/for push-ups.

You need to start with a diagnosis in my opinion to effectively answer those questions.

Laurierace speaketh the truth!! As an RN I’d always advocate PT. BUT not knowing what is wrong is extremely important. For example; I personally think you may have a neck problem with the kind of pain you’re describing. Like a hernated cervical disc. Mine hurts exactly like that! and I have a puller! Remember a lot of pain is called “referred pain” ie: it’s not where it’s located that matters but where it’s caused by.
I’d also try using some over the counter anti inflammatory meds like ibuprofen or naproxen. Us “old chicks” LIVE on that stuff!! :lol: Ice, rest, different bits, and things to prevent the shock of the pull. And we also don’t know your age, size, horse size, bit, and other factors to really give you our thoughts. Sorry for this “decrepitude” but a lot of horse folks gots 'em!! Good luck!

Fortunately, lots of us old enough for creeping decrepitude are ALSO old enough to remember the joys of Pelhams and Kimberwickes. :winkgrin: