Unlimited access >

Pick a stud; to line breed or not to line breed.

Hello everyone,

I have a lovely, petite, 16.1 holstiener mare by Chambertin that I would like to breed. I have basically narrowed it down to two studs that I like for her. They are Roc USA and Capone I. I love Roc's record with USEF, he has been a consistent top producer in most areas, I here about his babies being in the grand Prix and high level jumpers all the time. And I think the two of them would cross nicely. On the other hand, I learned about Capone from an amazing mare I met at a horse show. I love her temperament, her scope, style, she's a total class act. Capone is her sire. So I have done a "test mating" with both of these studs and turns out, Capone and my mare share some bloodlines. So, I am here asking for honest opinions about which stud you bloodline gurus think would be better for her. 

What I want in the foal: this mare jumps like a freak, would love to hold on to that trait, amp it up etc… I want a good mind, this honestly might be more important than anything else. And lastly, I don’t want something super tall. Roc is 17.1 I think, but from what I’ve been told, his babies usually average in the 16.2 range, which would be fine with me. Capone is 16.1, much more the size I am looking for, but I am not versed in line breeding so I don’t want to go that route unless I get good advice from people in the know. Also want to keep in mind the health and longevity of the foal, both Roc and Capone are in the 20 year old range and as far as I know, neither have had any serious issues. But maybe someone out there knows something I don’t.

I have posted a link to the “test mating” I did with both studs below. Let me know what you think! Thanks everyone!

Capone:
https://www.sporthorse-data.com/testmating?sireid=647028&horse_id=11188503

Roc USA:
https://www.sporthorse-data.com/testmating?sireid=10576638&horse_id=11188503

Look at the test matings that you posted, I wouldn’t be concerned about the line breeding that is there. In both cases, it is 4x5 generation line breeding and the stallions are the ones you typically see crossed when linebreeding (cor de la bryere, landgraf, ladykiller, etc).
I have no experience with Roc USA or his offspring, but I have seen a few by Capone.

1 Like