Unlimited access >

Picking up my new cat today!

So I’ve been dithering for a while on getting a cat – I knew I wanted one, but I just hadn’t found one that I KNEW was meant to be mine yet. Until yesterday. I had a rough day at work and decided to go to the shelter on my lunch break to pet some kitties and see who was around. And of course I met the most perfect little lady and promptly put in an application.

Everything should be processed today so I’m hoping to jet out of work early and pick her up! Her name is currently Tinkerbell, but I’m changing it to Beezie (as in Beezie Madden! ;)). I’m wondering what everyone suggests for the first few days at home to ease the adjustment period. She is a mellow kitty who can get a little overwhelmed by lots of activity when she’s in a new place (per the shelter staff), so I’ve already decided it will just be me and the boyfriend at the house until she’s settled. But otherwise, does anyone have suggestions for making a smooth transition?

And just because she’s adorable, here’s her listing from the shelter website! She’s been there since October, poor thing, mostly because she likes to hang out in her bed instead of run around the main cattery floor. I’m obsessed with her little folded up ear!

She is adorable! Some place where she can be comfortable getting away for a few days is nice. That is unless she decides not to come out after a few days. I’ve had several who hid for a day or two before becoming comfortable in a new place. Don’t try to force it. If she is in hiding somewhere, maybe place something that smells like you in there with her so she can get used to your smell. Some yummy treats that smell good can also help that transition. Congratulations on your beautiful new girl!

what a beautiful girl

we have generally found that if you just brig her home and let her loose
kind of point her to where food is and where the litter box is
have a nice cushion for her

how they act and the shelter and how they will act in your home where they get more directed attention are often very different

sort of ignore her while she explores but be ready to give her attention when she asks and she should settle in just fine

enjoy her

She is lovely. Peace, quiet and patience will have her settled in no time.

She’s beautiful!

Thanks for all the kind and helpful comments! This will be the first pet I’ve owned by myself (I’m a young professional and I’ve been waiting until I have a nice nest egg for vet care, etc., and a good living situation) so I’m very anxious about getting it right. She is a sweet girl and a perfect match for me – she climbed right out of her cage and into my lap when I went to pet her yesterday!

I’m sure there won’t be too much trouble with the transition, but I’m a worry wart and I want her to have a good experience when she arrives. Just one more hour until I can go get her!

Congrats! Do you have her pic saved somewhere? The link wont work for me.

[QUOTE=talkofthetown;7903910]
Congrats! Do you have her pic saved somewhere? The link wont work for me.[/QUOTE]

The link no longer works because I just took her home! So they pulled her ad from the site. :slight_smile: I made a picture of her public here: https://www.facebook.com/katy.george.9/posts/10203386299565640:1. Hopefully that works for everyone!

Miss Beezie is now hiding behind my dryer. :lol: The shelter recommended that I confine her to one room to start, just until she feels comfortable. They sent me home with her blanket from her bed and a little scratcher she had in her cage, so I put a throw from my couch down on the floor and layered her blankie on top, with the scratcher nearby. So now she has a few hours to herself to get acclimated until I come home after work and the barn. Hopefully that will help her get comfortable!

She’s adorable! Congrats. Love the name.

In my experience they come around fast. I’m sure she’ll be your new BFF soon.

[QUOTE=541hunter;7904001]
The link no longer works because I just took her home! So they pulled her ad from the site. :slight_smile: I made a picture of her public here: https://www.facebook.com/katy.george.9/posts/10203386299565640:1. Hopefully that works for everyone!

Miss Beezie is now hiding behind my dryer. :lol: The shelter recommended that I confine her to one room to start, just until she feels comfortable. They sent me home with her blanket from her bed and a little scratcher she had in her cage, so I put a throw from my couch down on the floor and layered her blankie on top, with the scratcher nearby. So now she has a few hours to herself to get acclimated until I come home after work and the barn. Hopefully that will help her get comfortable![/QUOTE]

Awww love her! Grumpy, pretty little thing!

By the way 541Hunter- you will be a fantastic pet owner. I hope you two will be very happy together. Thanks for doing it right!

Kitty update! After 5 days, Beezie is just about settled in. She still likes to hide behind the dryer, but she has been more than happy to come out in the evening (and at 4 AM…) to snuggle in bed! She is the most affectionate cat I’ve ever met. Thanks again to all of you for your support!

Here’s a picture of her from last night, just because. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the great Beezie report! I am a total fan!