Unlimited access >

Picky eater

It’s been a week since the vet was here and we have some answers and a plan. I first tried the molasses/water spray and that worked perfectly. A friend brought me a sample feed from her barn which has molasses in it (ProElite Senior) and I put a little as a top dressing and she gobbled it up. The mare has PPID and the vet recommended lowering her dose of Prascend which she’s been on for 6 years as that may have caused her inappetence and sure enough, within 24 hours she started perking up. We’ll keep and eye on her ACTH but we’re not going to chase numbers. Most important is that she’s happy and comfortable.
Plus, she’s rather arthritic so we’re addressing that as well. So between the Prascend and aching joints she had reached the point of just not feeling well.
I’m going to continue with her Triple Crown Lite which is below 10% NSC and top dress it with a tiny handful of ProElite Senior (13%) to keep her interested. She’s not a stoic horse so it’s good that she let me know she wasn’t up to par so that we could do something about it.
I appreciate everyone’s input.

4 Likes

I know you said she won’t eat soaked feed, but before my old guy passed I had a similar problem as you.

Needed to get supplements (and, at times, meds) into him, but he’d had two choke episodes. Refused to eat soaked feed, but I just wasn’t comfortable anymore with him having everything dry.

I ended up finding the ‘sweet spot’ of how much water I could put in to soften and hold powder, but not so much that it became mushy and he turned up his nose at it. It ended up being exactly 2.5 cups of warm (not hot) water on his 4lbs of grain. He’d eat it up every time.

Might be worth a shot to see if that works for you, and it’s free to try!

1 Like

Did anyone suggest Flavor Fix? Works well for mine when there’s something they don’t like - say, like fish oil. :rofl:

1 Like