Unlimited access >

Pigheaded division pony

I have a 10 year old TB welsh cross that is extremely strong. I have had his teeth done. His set up is a Bristol copper full cheek and a chain nose band (plain leather with a six small chain links sewn in that lay flat) and a standing martingale. This works well for schooling but at shows he needs a little more. My trainer told us to use this. He goes well on the flat, but can get bullheaded over fences.

Sounds like a complete mismatch of pony/rider/trainer. Best result would be for pony to move on to someone who will restart him and OP to move on to a trainer with more tools.

10 Likes

Sounds like you need a new trainer and a new pony.

8 Likes

I think “Pigheaded Division” would be the PERFECT name for a class…

:smiley:

8 Likes

Poor pony. Ponies don’t decide to be a certain way. He is reacting to something. He gets strong at shows. He needs someone to teach him that it feels much better to use himself correctly and to always go that way regardless of situation. Time to change things to set him up for success.

7 Likes

Back to flat work with a new trainer and reestablish the basics with him.

4 Likes

Rider needs to change their riding.

1 Like

Am I missing something or is that noseband not actually legal to use in the show ring just generally people who use them get away with it because it isn’t noticeable.

4 Likes

Please note: first post for this individual.

3 Likes

Back to basics preferably with a trainer that actually realizes he needs to go back to basics

2 Likes

For starters, the noseband you have described would not be my solution for the pony. It may be a quick fix at the time…but how’s that working for you? In my opinion, it only helps mask the underlying problem. If the pony is truly that strong, I would not be jumping him and would go back to flat work. Before doing that, I would rule out any pain issues, i.e. ill-fitting saddle, hock pain, etc.

adelmo95, chain and tack nosebands are illegal in Canada, but not considered illegal in the U.S. A judge could consider it unconventional tack in the U.S., but I am guessing most judges would not be able to tell if one was being worn or not.

2 Likes

If a horse does not perform as expected, it is the rider’s fault for not setting the horse up for success. The pony isn’t pigheaded, you have the worst of awful types of trainers that don’t see anything wrong with hurting a horse to get what they want.

1 Like

That. Smh.

Are you asking a question @SuperSyd I’m confused.

1 Like

It looks like there’s a link or picture missing from the post (“The trainer told us to use this.”) Unless that’s referring to the noseband/bit combination. Hope OP comes back and tells more…