Unlimited access >

Places to trail ride near Tryon/Asheville

My husband are going to WEG for eventing then planning to spend a few days exploring the area, probably in the direction of Asheville.

Can anyone recommend a stable that will cater to experienced riders? By that I mean not nose-to-tail, cantering allowed, appropriate grouping by experience, not led by a teenager who rides with feet outside the stirrups looking at their phone most of the ride. English preferred, but Western OK.

I’m assuming it shouldn’t be too hard to find a good place since this is horse country, but you never know.

Pretty scenery and varied terrain would be ideal. If we can find a place that would do a little XC even better.

Biltmore Estate has trail rides.
https://www.biltmore.com/visit/things-to-do/outdoor-activities/horseback-riding

Just to elaborate one on why you only got one response - there are no public trail riding outfits in the vicinity of Tryon. It is horse country, yes, but all the horse people in “Tryon Horse Country” have their own horses. Biltmore does do rides and it is definitely beautiful scenery but I have no idea if it’s nose-to-tail or if you can request a more advanced session. There has also been a public trail riding place at “Lake Lure,” which is closer to Tryon than Biltmore, but you’d have to google that for information. Sorry I didn’t know more about it…

2 Likes

@yaya @GotMyPony Thanks for the referrals and background. Yes, I did see Biltmore does rides–need to call and ask about experience level. I found a few other places from googling but just based on their barebones websites they do seem to be geared more to beginners/casual tourist (I noticed several of them specifically say “No doubling up riders” :no:)

There is Arrowmont in Cullowhee, but it’s about 1 1/2 hours from Tryon, or only about an hour from Asheville. I did their trail ride at Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, but since I was with my nieces who hadn’t ridden in a long time, we did the walk tour. They do have a ride that will do trot and canter, and I want to do that this Thanksgiving.

http://www.arrowmont.com/trotcanter.html

1 Like