Unlimited access >

Plain but high quality snaffle bridles

Artemis does nice plain bridles. Some models of PS of Sweden like the Paladin and Flying Change are fairly plain. Otherwise, Nunn Finer, Passier, and Stubben are good for quality leather without a lit of frills. Echoing some others, I bought a couple spare parts from Solo for a different bridle, and the leather is stiff and actually tears easily like the cheap stuff from India. Unfortunate since they have some nice looking designs.

2 Likes

I’m from Canada so I often have that problem. I have to be VERY sure about ordering something from an American supplier as shipping TO me generally costs something, plus duties/brokerage, and then if I do have to return it becomes overly expensive.

Sorry you had a bad experience with the quality of the Solo bridle, it’s too bad the quality isn’t there anymore.

Sabre are now doing a show hunter noseband for their Cordoba sensitive bridles, because each bridle piece is also sold as “spares” it means you can construct a bridle to fit your horse. The quality is good, and the prices reasonable.

https://www.shop.sabreleather.co.uk/sabre-cordoba-sensitive-bridle-spares---buckles-both-sides-of-headpiece-76-c.asp

1 Like

I have 2 from Evoequine. Absolutely gorgeous, love them.

1 Like

I love mine from shadow horse in UK. https://www.shadowhorse.co.uk/collections/silver-crown/silver-crown-bridles-parts it’s a French brand called silver crown. beautiful Sedgwick leather and you can buy in parts and create your own. shipping is fast, prices good.

1 Like

Do you mind me asking which model(s) you have? They make mention of how wide the noseband is on some of their models but not all, and I’m trying to figure out if one is narrow enough for what I’m looking for.

EvoEquine does have a line of bridles for finer heads/faces.

I have one of their bridles (not in the Finer line)–the Majestic–and it has a padded noseband that is about 1.5 inches wide at its widest (across the bridge of the nose) and then tapers toward the back to about 1 inch.

You can also email them about measurements. I found them very responsive to emails when I bought my bridle.

1 Like

Passier Juno checks your list.

1 Like

Solo for sure :grinning: If you check out their page they have over 1200 reviews and almost 5 stars. On Facebook 106 reviews and 5 stars. Hard to argue with that imo.

Really love the Correct Connect bridles!

2 Likes

My solo bridle had crap leather also. Quite disappointing. I’m going to sell it

3 Likes

The new Total Saddle Fit bridle is really nice and the leather quality is excellent. My girl who I got it for always goes well but when she wore this for the first time she was SO relaxed and has been like that every ride since. I got this as her jumping bridle but now I’m going to get her a black one for Dressage. She currently wears a plain Antares that I also love but I can’t wear the noseband tight on her at all due to her dental surgery years ago, and the Antares is so soft is hangs weird.

Antares

TSF

2 Likes

So, is that a chicago screw on both sides for the noseband to attach to the headstall? And does the headstall have some degree of rotation vis a vis that screw?

I like the solution to have two buckles on the cheekstrap. One hang up I’ve seen with having the noseband hangar connect to the cheek piece has been limited adjustability. This looks like it solves that problem.

Looks good. I’m liking the newer designs. Kicking myself for not making the bridle I have in mind sooner as the newer bridles are creeping closer and closer to my idea :joy:

2 Likes

yes it is! I’m still figuring out the options to set it. I want to raise the noseband a bit and lower the throat latch. The noseband moves independently, almost swivels, it’s very interesting. I have seen horses like bridles but I’ve never seen such a large change as I have in my mare. Could just coincidence with her age and training but she seems to really be happy wearing this.

Her previous jump bridle she would get upset everytime she opened her mouth at all and hit her jaw to the noseband, and that’s wearing it loose. With this one she hasn’t had any reactions at all.

There’s still time to make your own!!

I think that’s a clever solution to what has been a problem in a lot of modern bridles; the noseband’s lack of movement comes into play once a horse is really on the bit.

It’s a good testament to hear she’s so much better, even after wearing an Antares. That’s fairly inoffensive as bridles go, so it really makes me wonder how generous horses are when they are so much better in a bridle like TSF; makes you think, what else are they quietly putting up with? (My gelding is also in the same bridle as yours, the Antares).

Re: making your own - I have the sketches and dimensions set, but get overwhelmed by where you would have a prototype made. I’m not sure I’m handy enough to physically make my own.

I’m a Vespucci/Passier die hard. I have a Henry James cavesson bridle I just bought that seems to be good quality. I also have a Joseph Sterling snaffle bridle i got on stupid clearance many moons ago that has worn beautifully over the years. Eponia also makes nice leather products!

With that being said, I think I might go buy the TSF bridle. I’m intrigued.

1 Like

@Jealoushe What size did you get? I emailed TSF asking for size specs because I’m considering it for my gelding. I think I’ve spoken at length about how difficult to fit my gelding is since he’s between O/S and F/S, the noseband and browbands are usually too small. TSF responded back that they don’t have measurements. :thinking:

oh that’s strange of them! I’d say it’s a true horse size, I got the full. This mare is small but she has a big block head. I think it might be small if you need oversize, I’m not sure if they have multiple sizes or not though.

Gotcha. My gelding has a Tyra Banks fivehead - makes fitting bridles difficult. He is usually an O/S in crown and browband but F/S in everything else. :unamused:

I was surprised by TSF’s reply too but I think it’s all about what CSR you get. When I first bought a TSF girth a rep face-timed me because they wanted to make sure the girth fit perfectly. It didn’t, and I swapped it for 2 sizes larger than what was recommended at no additional cost. That rep was lovely and went above and beyond, so I’m writing it off as a one-off.

I’m still really interested in this bridle but will probably hold off until it hits stores and I can measure in person.

The browband is large so it might work, I also like how it’s very adjustable in all directions so with some fiddling I think you could get a variety of fits.

I’ve also had great service from them before, guess not all employees are created equal lol