Unlimited access >

Plain but high quality snaffle bridles

It’s been approximately half a second since we’ve had a bridle thread so obviously the laws of the universe necessitate there must be another (and who am I to defy?)

What are your favorite bridle brands that have high quality leather but offer a very simple design? I’m looking for:

• Plain (not patent) leather
  • No bling on the noseband
  • Noseband should be 1.5" or narrower
  • Prefer non-crank nosebands

I can do flat or rolled leather, I’m willing to look past a blingy browband and white stitching. Flash attachments not required (but if it comes with it, it doesn’t bother me.)

The vespucci classic dressage bridle is the one I keep finding that seems to fit my criteria but I’m not in love with how the browband looks to fit. I have an older passier right now that is very similar to the Juno that is sufficient but not the greatest fit so I haven’t had much luck shopping there. The Kieffer Lea is a possibility but I’ve had a kieffer bridle in the distant past (20-odd years ago) that I didn’t particularly like the leather quality on so I’m a bit reserved on it.

Basically - what are your favorite bridle brands for high quality leather but aren’t so shiny that you’ll need shades?
(Bonus if they sell separate cheek pieces because of course, the horse in question has a very horse-sized head other than in length, but I can always cannibalize parts from another bridle if necessary.)

Many thanks!

1 Like

I picked up an as new second hand Steuben a while back and really like it.

I really like my Vespucci for a plain but quality snaffle bridle. It would be easy, IMO, to find a replacement browband if needed.

4 Likes

I was going tor recommend Passier or Vespucci.

I have a Stubben Waterford that is very simple and very classic, and also not terribly expensive.

I did swap out the reins to the Nunn Finer softgrip ones, but otherwise am happy with it. I really liked that the flash detaches entirely, no stupid loop on the noseband. My mare is a TB who is just on the cusp of cob/full, and the full here fits her OK–things could be a little shorter, but the cob would for sure have been too small through the browband.

6 Likes

I continue to put in votes for the Schneiders Joseph Sterling bridles. They do have crank nosebands ( which I don’t crank) but the flash is removable, the leather is quite nice and the price is affordable. I rather detest bling. This is a rather elegant bridle with quality serving as its own adornment.

6 Likes

I bought a Solo Equine and was very disappointed with the leather quality. It was cardboardy. I returned it and found a SmartPak Wellfleet for $95. The leather was super nice, I was surprised.
Probably not what you are looking for but price is not always a reflection of quality.

3 Likes

I like plain bridles too. I bought the Levade Red Barn by KL Select bridle almost 15 years ago. The leather is beautiful and still looks like new. I do not know if they are still the same quality and I know I didn’t pay anywhere near the current price.

1 Like

I also have a Red Barn that I got on sale about 7 years ago…with a French cavesson/no flash …also well made with nice leather. And it has hook studs, which always looks tidier than buckles to me.

1 Like

Seconded.
I swapped out the reins on mine for non-grip ones because I can’t touch rubber and swapped out the browband for something in my colors, but despite sitting around for 5 months while my horse is broken, a quick wipe with a cloth and it looked nice enough for someone to try it out on their horse (and they’re buying their own now).

Honestly, this is very helpful. I had solo equine recommended to me so it is good to know your experience with the leather (and what ended up working for you). Thank you for sharing!

And everyone else with recommendations - thank you, as well! Definitely have some names to research now which I was hoping for.

Feel free to keep chiming in with your experience of brands you liked, or brands whose product you maybe weren’t so pleased by. It’s super helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure if you want to spend some $$ for something truly amazing but… I just bought a bespoke bridle by Kelly J. leather. She’s in England and it is made to spec. It was expensive but it’s absolutely gorgeous.

4 Likes

I’m a fan of Nunn Finer bridles, I think the leather is nice right out of the box.

1 Like

SmartPak bridles are surprisingly nice. The older ones were slightly nicer than their economy line you can buy online now but still decent.

1 Like

Take a look at the EvoEquine Saffron bridle. I have one of their bridles (not the Saffron model) and the leather is lovely.

2 Likes

Oooh, and they have a build your own bridle option. These types of options keep seeming like a great answer to my problems, as long as I can get the features I’m looking for (PS of Sweden has it but their narrowest noseband is still 2" wide - too big for horse’s face) so this is super helpful.

New brand for me. Thank you for the recommendation!

ETA: this brand is here to support me in my time of need :joy:
“The nose band comes in a warmblood and and fine horse width for the finer more delicate horses.”

1 Like

https://www.dressageextensions.com/cutback-crown-bridle/p/X1-120290/

I have two OS bridles that are going on 16 yrs old and they ae still in great condition!

1 Like

I’m curious when you purchased yours? I bought a Solo bridle about a year ago and the leather is just as nice as my PS of Sweden bridle. The Solo bridle was able to be configured for my mare’s measurements - cob nose band, horse cheek and crown pieces, oversized brow band.

The only “disappointment” is that the free reins that came with the bridle sat in their bag until just last month and when I pulled them out I discovered they were cob sized which I am pretty sure was a mistake but I didn’t bother to follow up since it had been a year since I ordered it. My mistake for not looking sooner.

My solo bridle has the plain nose band (not patent) but it’s still plenty “shiny” - I was a bit offput by it at first because I like a more matte finish but honestly it has grown on me. Now I think it looks sharp without being in your face. The flash is fully removable - no loop. It is a crank style but I only tighten enough that it’s not wiggling around on her nose.

1 Like

I bought a CWD one a couple years back at land rover/rolex/defender 3 day event. I love it. Mine is brown (I also have brown dressage saddle) but the leather is super nice and supple, and pretty plain I think.

I have never owned a Nunn Finer bridle, but I have 2 sets of Nunn Finer stirrup leathers that are really nice

2 Likes