Unlimited access >

Plans for Hay Hut/Shelter

I am thinking of trying round bales rather than small squares. But it rains here a ton and I definitely would need something to keep the bale dry, plus I like to feed from a hay net.

I know about hay huts. But I also really need a shade/rain shelter option in the dry lot where I would put the round bale. So I’m kinda envisioning one of those cute wooden round bale feeders with a roof that extends much farther than normal, so I could get my feeder and a shelter in one structure. Has anyone ever seen such a thing? Better yet, have plans on how to build one? Funds have gotten tight so would be great if I could DIY something.

I am sure someone on COTH will have what you are looking for in a hay shelter or plans --I looked into the same a couple of years ago (prior COVID) only to find by the time I bought lumber and paid labor --I’m too old to handle the size/weight of posts and boards needed), the pre-made were a cheaper option --but not cheap enough. I hang hay bags in my sheds when possible.

Find a local builder, and show them your ideas. They will be able to figure out how to build it for you, and show you the plans they develop for the building of this structure. You can “vet” the plans, make sure that it looks like what you want. They they will give you a price, including the wood required, and their work.

Do you have a tractor capable of lifting round bales? What size of round bales are available in your area? Round bales can vary from 600 lbs to nearly 2000 lbs. Not all round bales are “horse quality”, some are cow hay only. Make sure that yours are horse quality if you have horses. So you must KNOW your farmer. And KNOW that you are getting horse quality hay in the round bale… because you can’t check it in advance by cutting one open and taking a look. It’s the interior of the bale that may be problematical, and you won’t find that until the horses eat in that far.
I feed round bales, we make them here on our farm, and we sell them for the consumption of horses and other livestock. It’s lovely hay, horse quality.
My 35 horse Kubota tractor can pick up and carry around a 600 lb bale, and I can put it anywhere I want, standing upright, or on it’s side and roll it out onto the ground (we live in semi arid country). But a smaller tractor would not be able to do this. I take the strings off the bale before picking it up. I put a cargo strap around it, and lift it in the bucket like that. I hope this helps you be able to make the change.

I have a Kubota, as well. It would top out at around 600 lbs so thanks for the reminder to check my hay supplier for how big their round bales are. I’m in New England so I’ve been assuming they are the smaller ones, but you’re right that I should make sure.

1 Like

Of course I can’t find the photo now, but I saw one where it was basically a big roof with a hay feeder ring under it but there were walls that divided the horses which I thought was cool. You may want to look into one where you can load the feeder from the outside of the paddock (feeder is built into the fence line). I think that works nicely for a small # of horses and for an area you may not want the tractor to be driving on and dragging mud through regularly.

1 Like

How many horses need access? If only 2-3 and they get along I might do a traditional 12-14’ deep run-in shed with the hay against the middle of the back wall, in a net. If you have shod horses you can build some wooden half walls around the bale area to keep hooves out.

I don’t know if just extending the roof on a traditional hay feeder far enough to cover a horse would be safe? Seems like it might need some corner supports. I’ve seen photos on here of someone’s open-sided run-in shelter with a post at each corner and the hay in the middle. For a cooler or wetter climate you might want at least one wall as a windbreak though.

These are my small bale covered feeders and they’re nice but don’t keep the hay dry unless there’s no wind, so I understand why you want more coverage:

1 Like