Unlimited access >

Platelet Rich Plasma - PRP. What is your experience?

I searched for other threads, but almost everything I found was really old. Has anyone used PRP to heal tendon injuries? What was your experience? Did it work? Did you think it was worth the money?

My vet mentioned it at the first ultrasound (small tear in the SDFT). I am going for a recheck and would like some anecdotal data to make my decision if it becomes a possible treatment.

I use PRP for my own orthopedic issues very successfully. I’d have no hesitation using it for one of my horses, but I would want to know what platform the vet is using, and what concentration they’re able to achieve with it. “PRP” is broad–concentration & purity can vary really widely, and can impact your success.

1 Like

We did it for my horse’s suspensory injury, and followed up with shockwave and then laser. It’s healing very well, but I have no “control data” to compare it to.

I’m not entirely sure how well it worked for my horse. He had a tear of the DDFT (but above the ankle - not below it … really weird). I turned him out on pasture for a year first and it had resolved maybe 50-60%. Enough that the vet cleared him for light easy riding. He does also have navicular problems, so that spring before I started riding him, we decided to try ProStride instead of the usual steroid cocktail for his front feet. My vet had enough left over that she also injected some into the affected tendon.

I also took him to get 3 PEMF treatments over about a 2 week course.
When I took him back for his check up about 2 months later, the fluid was gone, and the tendon was scarred down (healed). So that was pretty cool that it healed the rest of the way so quickly. But I don’t know if it was the PEMF or the ProStride, or a combo of both?

I would absolutely recommend lots of regular PEMF for tendon injuries. Hands down. I’ve had some other experiences with PEMF and I’m a true believer.

Doing the PRP certainly won’t hurt your horse (but would hurt your pocketbook, LOL)

1 Like

I did PRP on my horse this past summer when after he injured his check ligament.

Could the injury have healed as well if we didn’t do PRP? Possibly. But I have a tendency to worry and over analyze. Doing the PRP helped me feel like I had given him a much higher chance at the best possible recovery.

@sorrelfilly721 I did PRP gosh probably 15 years ago now on my then 20yr Wb gelding who tore his check ligament….it healed completely…I gave him extra time off and I did not keep him on stall rest either …maybe initially for about 1-2 weeks

I did it for suspensory inflammation (PSD). We had done surgery, then a 3-series of shockwave, but the inflammation persisted. We tried PRP and a month later the inflammation was gone, and we started tack walking. Worked really well for my situation!

2 Likes

I did PRP for a small tear in the LH superficial flexor on my horse, followed by laser therapy. It healed fully, and he’s been back in full work for almost two years now. The vet did say it would heal without the PRP, but adding PRP may make the healed tendon stronger.

All good info - thank you. I’m hoping we won’t need it. She looks pretty good right now. I just don’t want to spend the money if it’s going to heal as well on it’s own.

What has your vet recommended for time off and/or rehab, based on the injury right now?

Soft tissue injuries usually will heal on their own at some point. And it’s hard to know what extra things you should do and what things you should just save your money instead. But … if there is a chance it could help it heal faster, I myself am on board!

So far hand walking for three months based on the first ultrasound. She said the tear was very minor. We go back next week for another ultrasound and if she is healing as expected, we will begin the riding portion of the rehab. Approximately three months from what I understand. Right now (and I’m afraid to say this out loud), she looks pretty darn sound, so I’m hoping no further intervention will be required.