Unlimited access >

Please help a hunter princess find a butter-soft dressage bridle

The OPs post is so timely. I recently bought my first dressage saddle and have been searching as well for a black bridle. I changed my mind on the Elevator and went with a Henry James instead. It should be here by end of the week. I’ll post photos when it arrives.

https://www.henryjamessaddlery.co.uk/

I recently got two Acavallo and a Henry James bridles and both are lovely, but the Acavallos were the softest by far right out of the box and really nicely padded. I also really like the noseband design. I also got an Acavallo calfskin anatomical short dressage girth that is incredibly soft and grippy. I ordered from Equizone and it was much cheaper. The Henry James is a nice option for a horse that needs a Frankenhorse bridle, i.e. a mix of sizes.

1 Like

re Sterling bridles, I ordered this one because it looked interesting. Thought that if coach ever suggested a drop noseband i’d have one. It is not even the slightest bit flexible, haven’t conditioned it, (haven’t even tried it on.) It’s just laying around on a bench in it’s bag. For almost a year…

edit: oops, forgot the link https://www.sstack.com/joseph-sterling-anatomic-poll-relief-monocrown-english-bridle/p/41687/

I have a Joseph Sterling bridle- it softens up beautifully with use, cleaning and conditioning. I believe it’s constructed from English leather.
I also have a Red Barn that is quite soft and buttery - I of course had to break it in etc.

2 Likes

Seen these ? https://www.houseofmontar.com/shop/montar/horse/bridles/c-29/c-210

The only black bridle I’ve ever seen that I liked as much as my Edgewood and Country Saddler bridles is an old KL Select, and it’s beautiful. I don’t even own a black saddle anymore but can’t stand to part with that bridle on the off chance I ever have another!

1 Like

I’ve been reading the two current bridle threads and browsing some other older gear threads.

I’m starting to think that people mean different things when they say bridles are soft.

One possibility is, it is old school leather that started hard and has been diligently oiled.

The other possibility is that it’s gear made out of layers of calf skin padding and thinner leather and it “feels buttery soft right out of the box.” Boots and saddles (the French foam saddles) also trend this way. Generally this stuff is not that sturdy.

If I had brown rather than dressage black saddles, I expect I would be an Edgewood/Hadfield leather snob :slight_smile: except for the fact I’d resent paying top prices for old school type leather that used to be entry level :). Now entry level strap goods tend to be layered and color corrected and can even be padded.

Anyhow, on other forums and blogs (not COTH) I’ve seen every piece of low end tack of this kind praised by younger folk especially as “buttery soft right out of the box.” Including items that I know are low end housebrands from Greenhawk that I’ve seen and rejected.

Anyhow, for trailering I bought a $25 leather halter, and when we busted it, the hardware warped and the layers came apart like, well, butter, to show extensive use of glue. I replaced it with a Walsh triple stitch which is a lovely piece of traditional gear but is never going to feel butter soft. I’ve also got 3 random leather halter that were given to me as scrounged freebies by friends as trailer spares. One is near new and feels very very soft. But guess what, it’s padded with neoprene! Of course it’s soft. The other two are ancient sturdy halters in good using condition.

4 Likes

Yes, my Freedmans black harness is lovely, even the hunter princesses like the feel of it. Super supple and feels great in the hand.

I have a full bridle from them that is the same, but it’s brown. I’ve been eyeing having David make me a new pony dressage bridle with a custom drop cause I love my harness that much.

They can custom fit to any size and are awesome to work with.

2 Likes

Back in my driving days I lusted over the Freedman harness but was on a smaller budget. I do, however, have a pretty darn old Freedman sweater which has a leather stripe and their name on it across the front of sweater! :laughing:

where does one find these bridles??

1 Like

Antares! LOVE my Antares dressage bridle

Bobby’s FTW

Bobby’s bridles are made with the great leather you seek. I always loved them for that.

1 Like

Another vote for Arc de Triomphe. They took a short break from making dressage bridles but are back at it now.

The Henry James bridle arrived today. It’s smells amazing. Just like a tack shop. On first impressions I’m extremely happy with it. It came oiled, so the leather is soft but sturdy. The stitching is even. It’s really quite a lovely bridle and reins! I haven’t sized it yet, but I compared their measurements to my current bridles, so I don’t expect any surprises.

5 Likes

That is a beautiful bridle - BUT - wow - that crown piece - too much of a good thing, methinks.
I love padded monocrowns but that thing almost looks wide enough to serve as a gig saddle. . .

3 Likes

No joke… and it has a Haflinger’s mane to contend with!

How is a crown piece that wide not uncomfortable?

3 Likes

They have 3 different crown pieces on their website, this is the widest model so you can get a more traditional one that’s thinner

1 Like

Thank you for sharing photos. The bridle looks stunning. Henry James is a new brand for me, which is exciting. What made you lean that direction over the Elevator?

1 Like

I found some photos of used Elevators on eBay and wasn’t wild about how they appeared to have aged. Also, the HJ was less expensive and had solid reviews on the Horse & Hound forum.