Unlimited access >

Please help ID this bit

I have a small bit collection and was having trouble finding any info on my newest addition. It has several marks on it… H.Winyard &Co and Leamington on each side of the port on the bars… Reg No14173 on the left purchase and on the chin bar… EGLENTINE on the left shank. Any help or input will be appreciated. Thanks for your time =)

20200222_153823-1.jpg

20200222_154721.jpg

20200222_153927.jpg

20200222_153950.jpg

Don’t know the names or why that strange looking metal band is screwed there, but the general way the bit is made is what we in Europe considered a standard military bit for soldiers marching.
We had some of those in our riding centers, but were mostly there to show different kinds of bits.
The shanks being so straight, not back bend to them, made them a stronger bit without pre-signal.
When you prepared to engage the reins, you were already affecting the bit at full strength unless the curb was very loose, which should not be in those bits, so not for uneducated hands or not already trained horses.

As I said, not sure what the extra metal piece is doing there.

You may try cross-posting to the Off Course forum, more traffic there.
@Guilherme may know, or know who to ask.
He has extensive cavalry experience.

1 Like

The sides are what I would call a Pelham bit. Usually seen with that low port mouthpiece, but other mouthpieces were easily available with the Pelham cheeks. Used with 4 reins, very popular in the 1950s-60s, fell out of favor in the early 1970s. Quite versitile with both a curb and snaffle rein, useful on many horses, in various disciplines, though I mostly see them on horses going over fences in photos.

I believe the metal strap is a chinstrap/curbstrap of some kind. Obviously been “customized” for some specialized use. Chinstrap looks nicely made to go on the bit. Not sure what the slot ends were fastened too, so chinstrap engaged when needed.

It is possible you have the chinstrap flipped over backwards, when it should be on the front of the bit as a noseband. Not a chinstrap at all! Can’t tell by the photo if strap is big enough to go over a nose. The slot ends would then make more sense at the back of the bit, for a leather strap under the jaw.

1 Like

That makes sense, someone screwed that extra metal piece backwards.
That may have been intended as a noseband, slots for the chin strap.

I also thought that metal bar may be some type of a nose band and on the wrong side, but after flipping it over onto the top side I concluded that there wouldn’t be even close to enough room to be worn as a nose band. Also, not sure if the pictures show but the outside shank is bent inward. Just the look of it and style seems to say military and one of the marks may suggest Canadian. Thank you to all who commented. Very much appreciated =)

Think the metal curb band is be to increase leverage, seen similar attached to shanked curbs, Some detachable, a gimmick. It is attached to a common long shanked Pelham with lip strap rings and the mouthpiece nothing unusual, on the mild side. Looks like it’s all about enhancing leverage.

Those slots? No idea. But…it might be missing a metal band that went over the nose or, most likely, place to hook a chain for that nutcracker effect around the jaw. Nasty.

IMO, it’s a standard off the rack Pelham somebody tinkered together. Mid 20th century or newer. There are “gimmick bits” out there you can buy that duplicate this type action. Unfortunately.

I am going to say NOT military. Those bits had S shaped sides to prevent horse grabbing bit sides. Single rein ring at the bottom of the shank… United States military had US stamped at intersection of mouthpiece and sides, to know they were Gov’t property. Police bits used now, use the same S design, only one rein. Bent shank on your bit is probably just wear and tear, not a design feature. One side got bent somehow, dropped maybe. Harder to straighten on cast metal bits without breaking shank right off. No one wants a new bit with one side crooked!

The photos of any Canadian Mountie on horses all seem to use a full double bridle, 2 bits on seperate headstalls, two sets of reins, not using Pelham bits.

I agree it looks like something someone put together but the different marks and reg number imprinted on both the chin bar thing and the purchase suggest that it was all built and produced together at the same time and not something that was added later or fabricated differently.

Yes, the metal looks like all parts were made at the same time.
Maybe a run of bits made after some trainer designed it for a specific purpose?
Probably not military, they would not go for gimmicky bits, but never say never.

An interesting bit, sure enough.