Please Talk Me Out of This Puppy!

Thanks for this! She’s adorable, but unfortunately they require a fenced yard and require you to come to Colorado to finalize the adoption, which is a three-day drive or long flight.

I have checked out Peke rescues in the closet 4 states to me but they all require a fenced yard, even with 4-5 walks daily and time in a dog park on weekends.

I’ve heard the phrase “Perfect is the enemy of good” and most rescues are perfect examples. They’d rather condemn dogs to living there for years rather than placing them in a great home with no fence.

6 Likes

What little experience I’ve seen with purebred dogs is that when responsible breeding, genetic/health testing is done, that is usually advertised and they are priced appropriately as that due diligence isn’t free. It’s not irrational to think this is irresponsible breeders; I’d be shocked if these people have done their due diligence. Is it possible they have? Of course but it screams of “average backyard breeder to me”.

13 Likes

We’ll agree to disagree until the evidence is in. Until then, this is just wild speculation.

2 Likes

There are probably at least double the amount of backyard breeders out there than responsible ones (I’m speculating), and reputable breeders generally have waitlists as well.

I (and others who have noted similar concerns) are no more wildly speculating than you are assuming they are responsible.

10 Likes

And honestly, with the amount of disdain for non-show breeders here on this thread, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t provide an update if I end up getting the puppy.

4 Likes

For everyone bringing up testing of the parents, I tracked down this statement from the Peke parent club. There are no pre-breeding tests recommended. (See the screenshot)

I have reviewed the common health issues with Pekes and apparently all of them would be detected at a new-puppy vet appointment failing under a seven-day warranty.

So hopefully this puts the whole “all backyard breeders are irresponsible because they don’t screen the parents” argument to rest.

2 Likes

a) the title of this thread is literally “talk me out of this puppy.”

b) I really didn’t say anything disparaging about this breeder. I said “don’t support backyard breeders” and supplied some info about what the difference is between a backyard breeder & a responsible one. If you find this breeder to fall on the responsible side of the fence, the comment clearly doesn’t apply.

c) the responsible/backyard breeder divide has existed FAR FAR longer than the last decade or two.

In my experience, dogs cost all about the same. You pay up front for a quality puppy from a quality breeder, with a sire and dam that have been proven to be quality, proven to be trainable, and proven to be free of the health issues that exist in your chosen breed.

Or, you don’t, and you roll the dice on all those things, very often getting a dog with a temperament you didn’t quite expect, or with health issues you didn’t expect, or that isn’t quite the type of dog you expected. The money “saved” on the purchase still goes back into the dog.

Sure, sometimes you get lucky, and the cheap dog works out, and lives a long, healthy life with little financial outlay. But often you don’t get lucky. That’s something you can control.

Responsible breeders charging $2k for a puppy aren’t doing that to rake in the dollars. They’re charging that to recoup (some) of their expenses proving their dogs, and screening for health issues.

13 Likes

Up until the last couple years, I was in the adopt don’t shop camp. I have owned 3 rescues as an adult, all with their own unique behavioral issues that puppy classes and several years of other obedience classes did little to help. I know now, that I don’t want a dog that requires behavioral rehabilitation.

My current two are 10 and 11 years old. If I decide to add another dog into my life at any point, I will most likely be going the reputable breeder route. Not because of showing, but temperament and trainability to breed standard. Having 2 with sketchy pasts and weird breed combos and 1 that has an uncle dad, I want to have a better shot at having a more well adjusted companion and a good fit for my lifestyle.

Zero disdain for anyone doing their due diligence and buying a dog at this point in my life, but I would probably be a person paying more for the reputable breeding and driving across states if need be.

My thoughts exactly.

16 Likes

I’ve got concern for any breeder with puppies immediately available.

Good breeders, even if you don’t care about a performance record, have every puppy accounted for, with a waiting list.

Do they house/breed additional breeds on site? Was this an accidental litter?

6 Likes

Again, the ad didn’t provide this information. Just what I posted. Which is why I’ve requested additional information.

OK. Well, do try not to be too blinded by puppy fever. Additional breeds on site, questionable housing/grooming, etc. All of this is a red flag for puppy mill or crappy breeder.

The health checks are important for soundness of structure and general health. They aren’t required for any breed, so their statement is moot.

10 Likes

I’ve had 10 dogs as an adult. Two were corgis purchased in the late 90s from that year’s #1 breeder based on dog show results, Paid $900 each for the dogs, and they were beautiful! But they both had more health issues than my other eight dogs combined. One was a puppy mill ACD, one is a purebred Peke, and the others were mixed parentage: lab mix, cocker mix, terrier/chi mix and a pug/chi mix. Cancer and old age were the reasons I lost them.

So, yes, while dog care in general is similar for all dogs, those corgis cost me way more all around than any of my shelter pups, factoring in both purchase price and vet bills.

1 Like

Hip dysplasia cannot be detected at a new puppy appointment, no.

Neither can Legg-calve-perthes.

There are plenty of adult onset cardiac issues.

2 Likes

According to your link, hip dysplasia isn’t tested or certified by OFA for Pekes. And that they state that there is no proof that cardiac issues are actually hereditary, just a hypothesis. For LPC, it looks like it can be detected as early as 4 months, so that is testable.

They are all serious issues, but you can’t blame breeders for not having breeding stock tested and certified when the parent club doesn’t recommend them. That’s their main source of breed information.

Again, I’m not defending this breeder because I don’t have any relevant information yet. I just take exception to the attitude that you’re a bad dog owner if you don’t want to spend thousands on an animal that could die a month after you buy it and are ok with whatever health issues come along later, and would neuter/spay the dog. Especially when there’s no guarantee that the pricey pup is any healthier.

I should have picked a different title for the post. I expected anecdotes about the difficulties of raising a puppy, warnings about puppies plus senior dogs, issues with having to bring the pup to work for potty breaks, etc. I didn’t expect so much pushback from simply contacting a local small-scale breeder who’s offering two well-conformed puppies. Oh well!

2 Likes

No, Pekingese don’t participate in the CHIC program. They can certainly get hip dysplasia, and be screened for it, and receive an OFA score. If you look through the Pekingese in the database, you’ll see that.

“As early as” does not mean LCP will always be apparent at 16 weeks.

And no, that’s not at all what is said about cardiac issues:

“Many congenital heart defects are thought to be genetically transmitted from parents to offspring; however, the exact modes of inheritance have not been precisely determined for all cardiovascular malformations.”

Who has determined these puppies are “well conformed”? Have they been evaluated by a breeder of merit, or another with experience? Or is that your assessment based on pics (not even of the parents) and comparing to a book? Assessing puppies is hard. Even breeders with gobs of experience consult with their mentors–who evaluate in person–on sorting out a litter.

Look, if you want a Pekingnese, go get one. Whatever floats your boat. I’m sure the puppies are cute. But don’t fool yourself that it’s responsibly bred, if it’s not. Go in eyes wide open. Backyard or puppy mill dogs can be very sweet pets, sometimes.

Btw, responsible breeders DO often guarantee that their puppies will be healthier. Beyond seven days. That’s literally one of the bonuses of going that route.

8 Likes

Arguing about this further is pointless. Nothing I can say will change your belief that dogs should only be purchased through show breeders. I do agree that if this is what a buyer wants they should absolutely go that route.

But to me, as I’ve said several times, $2000+ is personally crazy to me to spend on a pet who won’t be asked to do more than be a companion.

If I learn enough about these pups to walk away instead of buy, I’ll simply go back to my local shelter as I’ve done for my past 5 dogs when one or more of my senior dogs die and the time is right. It’s worked brilliantly so far.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve not said that at all.

Responsible breeders prove their dogs, which can be done in the conformation ring, or outside of it. Lots of roads to Rome.

Responsible breeders screen for health problems, so as not to pass those heritable conditions on to the puppies they produce. Because if you’re looking to better your breed why tf would you NOT.

Irresponsible breeders don’t do those things.

Purchase however you will, but recognize what you’re getting.

8 Likes

Well the enabler has arrived…

Buy both those pups

9 Likes

Responsible breeders will also cull or alter stock that does not meet the appropriate criteria.

This is often not the case with small time breeders. In their heads, they think the initial investment in the dog somehow overrides XYZ health or behavioral issue that realistically should be a culling-worthy defect.

3 Likes

I think it’s important to note that some breeders are quite willing to wait for the right people and don’t mind having an older puppy or two if they had a big litter.
Having a puppy available is not always a red flag.

6 Likes