Please Talk Me Out of This Puppy!

We’re talking about a few different groups of buyers here, and some of them absolutely will pay a little more for a dog that has some pre breeding legwork.

It’s not all about the cheapest dog. Look at how MUCH people pay for the various doodles.

Lots and lots of people who purchase puppies just don’t even know what risks exist in whatever breed they’re considering, or how those risks can be mitigated before breeding. Educating them can go a long way. More breeders screening and proving goes a long way in educating, and also in having more screened and proved puppies available in the market.

1 Like

I agree. I don’t think that people who don’t want to pay $2K for a puppy are bad people just looking for a “cheap puppy.” Dropping $2K in cash on a puppy is not possible for many people who would be great dog owners.

But I think that if someone wanted to attract good puppy homes, they would consider titles like CGC or obedience - because lots of people know what those titles are, and might value them in selecting their pet.

You know a lot of bad breeders/owners. I don’t. Even the hunting people I know through AKC events and NAVHDA conduct health tests. And lots of the breed specific FB groups won’t announce a breeding without health testing.

2 Likes

It’s not all of them, but there’s lots. There’s tons in Navhda too - if you don’t know of them then you’ve got your head in the sand a bit.

The only reason half these clowns even register the dogs is because they can’t compete if they don’t. The dogs are either burnt out or crippled by age 6.

I don’t think my head is in the sand - I know these people exist - I just can’t say that I know any of them.

My friends who compete and breed all at least do hips. Some do way more, but even the FT people in my breed have mostly gotten to the point where no hip clearance means no breeding agreement. Even our breed magazine won’t allow ads without OFA, and they are primarily a bunch of old guard field trialers.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a regional thing, because around here the field trialers are in the same group as the NSTRA guys on breeding without proper clearances.

I guess it’s not a surprise that they generally do not have all their puppies spoken for at weaning, and are always trying to get rid of 2-3 at that point.

Talking about the in the sand, the info from the US Peke club that was posted earlier regarding need for health screening prior to breeding is a big ol ostrich move. It’s clear that they have a laundry list of issues that could be improved with screening, but the breed club refuses to participate in CHIC or acknowledge those issues…probably because they’re rampant in the breeding stock of the big players.

This is a breed that is on the watchlist in the UK as a breed of concern, but US breeders claim they have no problems? For shame :frowning:

3 Likes

No we are looking for a healthy puppy we can actually afford. There are breeders of nice, quality puppies with good conformation and good temperaments who fall between your “professional” breeder and puppy mill. I know because we have purchased from them with excellent results on several occasions.

One of them was a mini Aussie who cost us a whopping $700. Pup was for our daughter and she paid half. Most expensive dog I’ve ever purchased ( even paying half) but she is healthy, beautiful and smart.

Just like some backyard horse breeders actually produce quality horses. You can’t just lump them all together as producing inferior animals.

3 Likes

@chestnutmarebeware did you get the puppy?

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. Something there to hide for sure.

2 Likes