Unlimited access >

Please translate this feeding protocol

I’m that horse owner that has boarded forever and never had many issues with a healthy horse, so never really learned as much as should have. I am moving my horse from a place that specialized in seniors with a large feed room for mixing the recipes that worked for each horse to a smaller place with less storage for the “ingredients”. So, I am trying to see if what she’s currently being fed, can be simplified at all so that I don’t take up half the feed room.

She currently gets 2lbs soaked alfalfa pellet, 2 lbs soaked beet pulp shreds, 1lb soaked timothy pellets and 1.5lbs Purina Senior (red bag). The soaking is wet to break down the pellets. I am thinking that I can eliminate the extras and increase the senior feed (served wet) but am unsure of my knowledge. She will have access to free choice hay and be turned out 16+/7. No current issues with teeth and am open to other feed brands such as TC Senior, if better.

Do you know why she’s getting so much soaked hay pellets at the current barn? Do they not get free-choice hay? Does she have trouble chewing dry hay?

3 Likes

How much does she weigh? Unless she’s a mini or small pony, 1.5lb of sr is under-feeding. You’re feeding enough calories with the rest of the things, around 4800-5000, that you can feed the low end amount of a Sr feed, and have a much better nutritionally fortified diet.

3 Likes

@mmeqcenter I am not sure. I know she is out 24/7 except during inclement weather and has free-choice grass hay and I am unaware of any issues with chewing dry hay. The hay they have looks soft and easily chewed.

@JB she’s a 16.2 TB mare. So, if I increase the senior and drop the rest, I will still be okay? It looks like she would/should be getting 7-8lbs of the senior (recommendation on the bag).

1 Like

7lb will be an increase in calories, even though Purina Sr is a lower calorie feed (in the 1400cal/lb range). You’re looking at around 9800 calories, vs 6900-7000 or so.

TC Sr has a bit lower feed rate, 6lb for her size, which would be 9200-ish calories.

Another option is 1/2 the recommended amount of either Sr feed, plus 1/2 lb of their respective ration balancer

3 Likes

Thank you! That makes sense. They add calf manna, rice bran and multi max but all 3 combined equals 2 cups total. My initial thought is this combination is not needed but now wondering if this is a ration balancer of sorts. Would these be needed with the increase in senior feed and ration balancer?

Calf Manna is a quasi-ration balancer, but not in the amount it takes up in that mix, so no, it’s not needed.

1 Like

Good lord why do people make feeding so complicated. Definitely her diet can easily be simplified.

JB got the numbers for you, so looks like you’re good to go.

4 Likes

@JB and @mmeqcenter - Thank you both!

All were my thoughts but I wasn’t sure with my very limited knowledge.

@mmeqcenter I saw your comment before it was withdrawn :wink: and that was my thought. I assume it adds calories at a lower cost than the increase in senior feed. I also think they make the soaked part in bulk, then add the feeds, meds, etc. on an individual basis for all horses (they have rescues and medical boarding at this facility).

1 Like

:joy: I just unwithdrew it. I originally wrote it in a bad mood and then couldn’t decide if it would come across as too snippy or not lol

3 Likes

Seriously. If there’s no reason for this they’re making their own lives difficult unnecessarily?!

3 Likes

I once farm sat for a neighbor whose 2-horse feeding regimen took four times longer than it took me to feed the 14 horses on my property. I can’t.

I don’t have the energy for that

1 Like