Unlimited access >

Pleuropneumonia Jingles--Updated with Liver Issues

what a sad story. Unfortunately I have learned something new today about a disease process I have never heard of before.

I am so sorry you are facing this situation.

If you are facing putting him down, you might contact the two vet schools and see if they would be interested in taking care of this and obtaining pathology from him to further provide data for their studies.

Knowledge is a gift he can give.

Many best wishes for you and your dear friend

2 Likes

Oh my. Iā€™m so sorry to read this thread about your dear horse. Jingles

Got good news last week. Ultrasouned the lungsā€“no fluid! Heā€™s been off antibiotics for over a week and remains fever free.

Blood work is still a hot mess. Started him on some Pentoxifylline and Dex. He seemed happy this weekend. Still a little slow and not cleaning up his food, but a little more interested in the world around him. Snorted and trotted a bit at the cattle across the roadā€“first time Iā€™ve seen him trot in a month. Of course, could all be contributed to the Dex just making him feel better, but it still made my heart happy.

@hoopoe the vet school is enrolling him as a case study. So all blood work for the next year (every 1-2 months) is paid for. And will hopefully help future horses in some way. Of course, itā€™s up to him whether he will ā€œbounce backā€ enough to keep going that long or not. Not sure whether theyā€™d be interested in his body, but Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll let them know when we do make that call and we can see whether or not they do then. Sentimentally, I want him at our farm, but I know that what youā€™re saying is true as well.

9 Likes

BBD I am glad he is feeling better. I also appreciate that you are supporting the vet schools work by allowing him to be part of clinical trial / case study. They very likely would be interested in pathology, it is very much part of understanding these processes. What a blessing that so many people care so much for him.

2 Likes

Prayers for your horse. What a crazy, complicated journey. It amazes me the things steroid help with. I hope he surprises everyone and rallies back.

1 Like

I am so sorry youā€™re going through this. Jingles and love to you and your boy. Treasure every moment.[[[Hugs]]]

1 Like

Jingles for your boy! I hope a miracle happens and he continues to improve :heart:

1 Like

The last three months were really happy ones. My boy played and gained some weight. Had a really good quality of life. We got that time. I got to ride him again. I got to treat each day as a potential last.

Yesterday that last day came. His behavior was very off last night during night check. He went down a couple of times. Displayed several typical neurological signs that my vets warned me to watch for. So we hauled to the vet school and let him go when he was calm and sweet and full of treats.

They did want to keep him for a necropsy and I hope that will help other horses someday.

15 Likes

Aww I am so sorry for the loss of your boy :sweat:

2 Likes

Sending hugs that you got to spend extra happy time together.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry. We never get enough time with them.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry, Iā€™m glad you had the quality time the past bit. :heart:

2 Likes

I am so sorry. I was really rooting for him.

2 Likes

So very sorryā€¦

2 Likes

So glad you got that extra time. May your memories and knowing you did all you could for him bring you peace.

And thank you for allowing the necropsy which will hopefully help other horses and owners in the future.

2 Likes

I am so very sorry for your loss. The last 3 months with him sound wonderful. Please hold onto those memories tightly as you grieve. And remember that you did everything possible for him. That is all any of us can do.

Sending hugs and prayers of comfort. Weā€™re with you in spirit. :broken_heart: :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, too.:cry:

1 Like

I am so sorry. What a gift to have those three (good) months.

Godspeed dear horse.

Susan

2 Likes