Unlimited access >

Pleuropneumonia Jingles--Updated with Liver Issues

My boy is currently in the ICU at the local vet hospital, was admitted Wednesday.

He started showing some slight signs of sickness at the beginning of September. I took him in to the clinic and they ran blood work. Elevated, but nothing too serious. Started him on SMZs. A week later he still wasn’t really better so I took him back. The blood work was better, but not great so we did Excede and EqStim. That seemed to help a lot and he went back to eating and didn’t have a fever.
Fast forward to this week, his energy levels were still low and I was started to get concerned again and was going to have the vet out. Then he stopped eating and spiked another fever so she sent me right to vet hospital.

Blook work is now really bad, including bad numbers for his liver function. Diagnosed with pleuropneumonia and they’re giving us about a 50% chance of survival at this point. Enlarged liver and “abnormal” spleen as well that they aren’t sure if they are connected or not.

They pulled cultures yesterday and will test to see which antibiotics to use. Also pulled about 6 liters of fluid from him while they were in there. He is feeling a lot better and eating well now, but we’re still far from out of the dark.

I am just shocked and devastated. The last time he traveled anywhere was a trail ride last October. I have essentially a closed herd with him and my other horse at home. Other horse is completely healthy. And as far as we know, he has never choked. He truly did not seem “that sick”. We spent this spring/summer coming back slowly from the winter off while I was pregnant and he was coming back better than before. Were planning for some schooling shows and trail riding this fall. He’s only 13 and was fit and healthy as could be.

Hoping for some good news on Monday when we get cultures back and run blood work again to see if what we’re hitting him with now is making any difference. Send all the jingles our way.

7 Likes

Oh no. That’s horrible. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome. Hugs to you.

2 Likes

Jeepers…I’m so sorry.:pray:

What a shock. Sending jingles.

JINGLING LIKE MAD:link::link::link:
So sorry you’re having to deal with this now & hoping that 50% grows & your guy gets through this rough patch.
But congrats on your new addition :baby::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I had a mare have that at 6 years old. She too was given a 50/50 chance of survival but thankfully responded to treatment and even returned to race her best races ever afterwards. She is now a grandma several times over and is living a healthy life in retirement at 24 years old. Jingles for your guy and everyone involved.

7 Likes

Sending loud jingles for some good news. The only case IME was a mare shipped to an inspection.

Had one who had this, he looked pitifully miserable but made a full recovery. When galloping flat out he would sometimes make a funny noise from scar tissue (I assume) but he was always very happy and healthy before and after. Jingles for your boy.

2 Likes

That’s terrible. Jingles for him to recover!

Sending Jingles to you and your boy.

1 Like

Oh no! Hoping for some good news on Monday. Sounds like he’s in the right place and the vets are really working to get him well. ((( Jingles for your boy )))

1 Like

So sorry! Jingles for good news. Hugs for you!

1 Like

So sorry you’re both going through this. Sending jingles and prayers for you and your boy! :heart: :pray:

1 Like

Don’t know if we have enough good news to outweigh the bad or not. :frowning:

Has lost over 170lbs since being admitted last Wednesday, despite eating well. Not all cultures are back, but one is showing anaerobic bacteria. Liver numbers have gone back to really high like they were last Wednesday. Awaiting some more test results on liver to see if he’s got a virus that affects liver function.

Spends all day pacing his stall and is a bit naughty. I hate that he’s frustrated that he’s confined but also glad he feels well enough to be frustrated.

Some of his blood work is showing small positive changes. He’s off fluids. And ultrasound of lungs today showed only a small amount of new fluid since he was drained on Thursday.

I am hoping that since he’s off fluids we may be able to bring him home and continue treatment there. I know he’ll be happier not being stuck in the hospital. Though the folks working on him are amazing and make sure he gets out to hand graze every day.

7 Likes

Sending tons of jingles your way!

1 Like

My boy came home Wednesday afternoon after a liver biopsy. He was so, so happy to be out on pasture again. Seems to be maintaining a good appetite while home. Drinking normally and no fever so far. Just get to give him his meds every 8 hours.

However, his liver results are looking less promising. He has tested positive for both Equine Parvovirus and EqHV-NPHV via blood test. And the liver biopsy just came back showing chronic hepatitis. Waiting to hear from the vet as to what these results mean prognosis and treatment-wise. Dr. Google has me uncertain.

3 Likes

Jingles !

1 Like

I’m glad he’s home and seems to be feeling better. I don’t have any experience with either of those things but I do hope there is a successful treatment for him.

Jingling!!

1 Like

Vets from both vet schools (the one I took him to and the one currently studying the liver diseases) think that his liver is a chronic issue that will not resolve with treatment. They are not sure on the timeline but expect it to continue to get worse.

He is still at home and has come off antibiotics. Still no fever. Sometimes eats well and other times does not. Very low energy for him, but not 100% dull. Vet is coming back out this week to re-asses.

There are three options forward:
Lungs aren’t healing after two months of trying and a stay in the hospital and we’ll plan for him to be let go before they get worse again knowing that he has another chronic issue.

Lungs are healed and he just needs some rest and recovery time. If he improves over that time we will keep him comfortable and happy as long as possible and enjoy our time together (vets did say it could be months or years before liver failed).

Lungs are healed but he continues to go downhill and suffer. We will make the call to end it before it gets worse.

I keep thinking making “the decision” will get easier with more information, but it really isn’t. His chances of survival and healing are all but gone and I still am struggling. Not knowing whether we’d have years left or not. Just waiting to see how the next vet appointment goes. Then how the next couple months go…

7 Likes

I’m so sorry. We had one w EMPF (equine multinodular pulminary fibrosis)- very rare and not well known. A brilliant university vet used the drug Valacyclovir which helped him tremendously. EMPF is autoimmune and linked to EHV-5. It sounds like you are in great hands but it might be worth investigating. There is an article on Dvm 360 by Ed Kane, PhD dated October 2008 that says EMPF should be a differential diagnosis for adult horses w interstitial pneumonia. We found it because this horse just couldn’t hold weight. The great vet came out to ultrasound his stomach and saw the nodules in his lungs. We took him in for a biopsy to confirm. I hope this is helpful somehow. I know you’ve worked your heart out.