Unlimited access >

Plexiglas sides to enclose stock trailer

Looking for some feedback here: I’ve got an older model Featherlite stock trailer that I bought years ago for a horse who had been in a trailer accident and was claustrophobic. I find most horses tend to appreciate the airiness and the ability to ride in it box-stall style.

The airiness can also be a PITA, though, especially in winter or the rainy season. It’s kind of a drag when there’s perfectly good bedding left over that gets rained on, or if I want to leave any equipment in it (that wouldn’t fit in the peak).

I know I can get plexiglas sides from Featherlite that go in the channels of the openings and I’ve considered this over the years. But I’d like to be able to take them out for summer.

Anyone used either the manufacturer version or DIYed this? How difficult was it to install or remove?

If I had the financial means, I’d probably sell this trailer and replace it with a straight-load 2-horse (or, as long as we’re dreaming, a 2 + 1 with a side ramp). But I just had to replace my tow vehicle after the previous one quite literally went up in flames, so I’m back to making this one work. It’s a solid trailer, just had a few features (like this one) that I don’t love.

You can get Lexan sheets in hardware stores, cut them to fit and use those?
Plexiglass is not strong enough for horses or horse trailers, polycarbonate is.

2 Likes

Thanks, Bluey! I’ll look into that.

Interestingly, the Featherlite ones are definitely Plexiglas. But maybe they are thinking the primary use would be with livestock, not horses.

Plexiglas is cheaper than Laxan… also Lexan has the higher impact resistance of the two… it is “virtually unbreakable” –the polycarbonate version of Lexan is 250 time more impact resistant than glass (10 times greater than polycarbonate Plexiglas).

1 Like

No info on the inserts, but I routinely sweep unused bedding to a pile in the center of the mat, on the part of the trailer protected by the inserts.
I pick out manure & any wet shavings first.
I’ve been able to reuse bedding months after it has sat in the pile.
Just rake out onto the mat again.
When needed, add more bedding.

1 Like

Yup, that’s what I do, too. But one driving rain - which we seem to get more and more frequently - will soak the whole inside.

I have an older Featherlite with the plexiglass inserts and mine are removable. At the one end of each set of slots is a vertical piece held in with two bolts that locks the plexiglass in place. I just unbolt it and slide the plexiglass in or out as needed.

I can get pictures later if you want.

@Christa_P, that would be awesome! Thank you!

!
This is the piece that covers the edge and locks the plexiglass in place.

Locking cover removed

Locking cover in place (Actually 2 covers in this picture)

3 Likes

Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful.

1 Like

When I had a Featherlite, I had Plexiglass slats cut and used them. Took them out in the summer and put them in in the winter. Very convenient.

Susan

It sounds like you and I have the same trailer setup, and I am also looking into plexiglass inserts for my Featherlite! That was supposed to be on my week-after-Christmas-to-do-list, but I’ve been procrastinating it big time until I saw this post :crazy_face:

I hadn’t yet contacted Featherlite about ordering their inserts, as I figured they’d charge me too much for something that is cheap at Hardware stores. Is that accurate thinking…?

Are you looking for something to have for hauling, storage, or both?

I agree that the horses seem to like freedom to adjust their position in a box. I always find mine facing the rear. i had plexiglass slides installed in my stock trailer and they rattled like the dickens! i stuffed them, i stuck moleskin on them, i drilled little screws…i tried everything to abate the noise, and eventually took them out.

Now, i don’t get hardly any rain coming in. Once i was driving three in a deluge and was quite surprised that only the shavings around the edge were damp.

I recently bought 250 fill blankets to put on my horses for when i haul to lessons this winter. That is IF my coach will still teach. I think she’ll teach down to 30? 35? degrees. And i’ll blanket for that. 40 would be the tipping point. 45 they will go naked.

@Kyrabee, did you anchor the slats in any way to fix them in place? I’m considering just getting slats for the front stall of the trailer and sliding them back as needed to increase ventilation for the horse (I generally only use the front stall). That way I could also slide them back forward for storage, to protect the bedding and anything else I decide to leave in the front.

My trailer had the same thing as Crista_P’s trailer. Undo a couple screws, remove bar, insert plexiglass and replace bar and screws.

Polycarbonate shelf liner from home Depot. I bought them because they fit without having to cut anything to size. But it depends on your trailer size.

I used aluminum mirror hangers from Lowes. 3 or 4 ft long. Not sure if that was the name but Lowes does have them.

No idea on how to attach them, but plexiglass is probably pretty safe for this sort of use. Unlike glass it bends so if the horses push on it or something, it’s not likely to crack. It also doesn’t shatter like glass.
It is sharp when cut or broken, but the openings on the trailer are high enough I seriously doubt a horse could kick them to break it.

There are hardier materials, but it’s probably more overkill than you really need.

Here is more on plexiglass versus polycarbonate:

Did not check other replies. I wold suggest using polycarbonate instead of plexiglass. Locally available at Menards, so probably easily found other places too. Comes in long panels for barns, workshops to let light inside. Menards has clear and a smoked color. It is very light to handle, easy to cut and move about.

We replaced our fiberglass roof cap last summer with a polycarbonate roof cap. Husband and son did the fiberglass removal and installed the new roof cap. I was surprised how quickly they got it done. Husband said it was easy with the light panels to move, cut to fit. It managed the terrible windstorm this fall with no issues. And the added light in the barn is like having the inside lights on all the time! Amazing how the old fiberglass had darkened over the years and had a black coating to further obscure light into the barn. Couldn’t see the coating until we got it down on the ground.

I would recommend using large washers against the polycarbonate material to hold it firmly with the bolts thru the trailer slats. We have used plywood over the stock trailer slats for winter hauling over the years. Does seal the inside pretty well. Now I am considering replacing the plywood with the polycarbonate. I may go with the smoked color to prevent intense sunshine heating up the trailer inside. With wind blocked, horses are pretty warm in there,. They wear their winter hair, so hauling movement usually keeps them warm without heavy blankets. They get sweaty under nylon coverings, so lined cotton type blanket if they need covers on really cold (20F or lower) days, which let body moisture escape thru the fabric while in transit…