Plus Size Riders

Hello!
Coming back to riding after several years off of riding for medical reason-I have been teaching, just not riding. I got CHONKY, being off of most any type of exercise for 4 years. I ride light (riding Thoroughbreds my whole life), and still have the core strength ect to control my body. All of the horses I am riding, have enough topline and muscle to carry me-Not worried about the horses. We are doing a lot of walk/trot work.

Anyway…
A trainer friend of mine suggested I take her kids horse to a dressage show in 30 days, and just do the Intro Open classes. Fantastic, except there is NO WAY my boots are going to fit. I have zero interest in buying new boots for the current size of my calves. So I am thinking about nice half chaps and paddocks. I purchased some cheapish Perri’s suede half chaps to ride in daily, but I am having zero luck finding pretty half chaps for thicc calves. I will measure for sure when I get home, but I am thinking 19-20". For reference, my boots have a 17" calf, but when they fit I cannot even pinch skin. I have big calves to start with-and the extra fat is just… sigh.

Where do I find nice half chaps?

Have you thought about having your tall boots worked on by a reputable cobbler? I’ve seen black elastic panels sewed into tall boots and it looks fine. I know there’s the “well I’ll lose weight and they’ll fit again….” mindset at times (I am in no way saying you need to lose weight to be clear), but it could be a cost effective way to keep using your tall boots.

I have the smooth leather Perri’s half chaps which are a little nicer looking. Someone recommended these to me but I haven’t tried them-- I ended up getting tall boots from Shires that I like so much I never wear half chaps. https://plussizeridercanada.ca/products/soft-leather-gaiter

For an intro class at a local show I’d wear the suede half chaps and not worry. If you’re otherwise neat and presentable, most people won’t even notice. It seems like a shame to invest in something you won’t be using again.

However, there’s also nothing wrong with saying this is my new body and I’m going to keep making it fitter but my calves may not be 17” in the future. In that case a gusset or other modification to your boots may be worth considering.

6 Likes

It depends how informal the “local” show is. Suede half chaps are technically illegal.
DR 120.1.6
“… riders may wear tall boots or
paddock/jodhpur boots with half-chaps or garters, matching the color of their boots, and made of smooth leather or leather-like material.”

6 Likes

Oh, I need to lose weight-and I am working on it. It’s just slow in the perimenopause stage. It’s not just the boots-I have many, many thousands of dollars in show clothes, every day breeches ect that I would really, really like to not have to replace. I have really nice coats and breeches from the 90’s that I love to show in. My personal horse is 9-10 months away from being ready to be seen in public (baby horse), so that is my goal. I have 10 months to lose 60#

1 Like

I did forget to measure my calves last night, but I think I will try those Canadian ones. I need new half chaps anyway-the suede ones I bought are already too big.

Do the Perri’s you have zip up or down?

They zip down.

I got custom made half chaps from Millbrook leathers. They weren’t expensive at all and are smooth leather with the spanish top so they look more like actual tall boots. I had 19" calves at the time and I’m 5’11 so needed them to be tall and they worked perfect.

I’ve been quietly showing in half chaps for years since a bizarre leg injury made tall boots a fun game of “how big will my leg swell today?”. Leg is fixed. Never going back to tall boots. No-one can tell if you buy the right ones and the money savings over the years are substantial!

1 Like