Unlimited access >

Points with respect to leasing an adult jumper

I quickly looked through usef rules and while I know the answer is in there somewhere I was unable to easily find it. And this is probably a really stupid question… But…

If a horse and rider combination have accumulated points in the adult jumpers and the horse is then leased to a new rider will the points from the original rider carry over with respect to qualifying for Devon?

Thanks for your help!

I’m pretty sure that Devon and the other qualifying shows like indoors set their own criteria, so you won’t find it in the USEF rulebook, but this is the criteria from last year’s prizelist, and if my interpretation is correct, points follow the horse.

“Pony and Adult Jumper Sections restricting entries based on winnings will use USEF National Horse of the Year points received at all shows starting on or after April 3, 2012 through shows starting on or before April 1, 2013 as means of qualification, using the best points eared at no more than 15 horse shows during this time period.”

http://www.devonhorseshow.net/exhibitors/exhibitors-info/

Yes, points in hunter and jumper sections follow the horse, not the rider.

Points follow the horse in most associations, the only one I can think of where it doesn’t is M&S. Points towards Devon will still apply with a new rider.

[QUOTE=iEquitate;7253932]
Points follow the horse in most associations, the only one I can think of where it doesn’t is M&S.[/QUOTE]

That’s only partially true. If someone else started showing my horse in M&S classes, the points would still count, provided that person was an M&S league member.

[QUOTE=Tha Ridge;7253963]
That’s only partially true. If someone else started showing my horse in M&S classes, the points would still count, provided that person was an M&S league member.[/QUOTE]

I just looked at the rule and that is true! I wonder if that was changed recently, as I’m pretty sure a few years ago the horse and rider had to earn the points together.